ADVERTISEMENT

1931 Helms Athletic Foundation National Championship

Cat Fan in Buckeye Land

Jan 28, 2008
I couldn’t hear the question that well, but towards the end of today’s media availability, I’m pretty sure he was asked about the reasoning for no banner hanging for the 1931 Helms Athletic Foundation National Championship. He replied that he didn’t have all of the information, so he didn’t really give an answer, but he seemed open to at least discussing it with those who have more information in the athletic department, and recognizing that team’s accomplishment.
It caught me a little off guard, but I thought it was kind of cool that it was thrown out there.

Can you give some context to your post?

Are you talking about the first "Final Four" in Patten Gym and putting a banner commemorating that in Welsh Ryan Arena? If so, who is the question being asked of? Collins? Phillips? Thanks

The 1930-31 team finished 16-1 and retroactively named national champions by the Helms Athletic Foundation and the Premo-Porretta Power Poll. There has been a group of fans who have thought that this team should be recognized with a banner hanging in Welsh-Ryan Arena.
Kansas has 2 banners hanging in Allen Fieldhouse recognizing their two Helms Athletic Foundation national championships, so it isn’t unprecedented to recognize that accomplishment with one.
I think the reporter asked Collins if he was aware of that team, and if he feels like they should be recognized.

Reactions: DaCat
The 1930-31 team finished 16-1 and retroactively named national champions by the Helms Athletic Foundation and the Premo-Porretta Power Poll. There has been a group of fans who have thought that this team should be recognized with a banner hanging in Welsh-Ryan Arena.
Kansas has 2 banners hanging in Allen Fieldhouse recognizing their two Helms Athletic Foundation national championships, so it isn’t unprecedented to recognize that accomplishment with one.
I think the reporter asked Collins if he was aware of that team, and if he feels like they should be recognized.
I have somewhere an old, old basketball magazine that has a story in it about the Helms Athletic Foundation. BTW, great name.

We absolutely should take credit for our national championship. It can be another past achievement that E-Cat can point to and pontificate about if we start making excuses in basketball.

It has long been a contention of mine that the 1931 National Championship team should be recognized with a banner. There's literally no good reason not to do so.

I didn't see it, but that seems like a really random question to ask CC.

After so many years of looking to the rafters and seeing no banners, too many banners, or banners for other schools, I'm surprised there aren't any banners up in the new arena. Hopefully they're planning ceremonies for them during this season. Yes, the Helms Championship should be up there. Plus a banner for NCAA appearances, B10 Championships, and maybe even some retired numbers. Also, women's hoops, volleyball, and wrestling have accomplishments that should be celebrated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT