ADVERTISEMENT

2023-24 NET ratings thread

I would rather be a 10 than an 8 or 9. Having to
Play a team like Houston on 1 days rest would be a killer
I agree. My point is that nobody has NU as an 11 or on the bubble or first four out or whatever. Every single prognosticator has NU at worst a 10th seed.

I agree. My point is that nobody has NU as an 11 or on the bubble or first four out or whatever. Every single prognosticator has NU at worst a 10th seed.

All they are agreeing on is that if the field were selected today, NU would be in.
Still gotta play the games.

Reactions: DaCat
All they are agreeing on is that if the field were selected today, NU would be in.
Still gotta play the games.
Lunardi has us at a 9 today off the last four byes and last four in.

Win 2/3 and not embarrass ourselves in the tourney and we should be good to go.

Reactions: NUCat320
Is it too much to ask for #7 seed?
From the metrics alone, yeah, I think it is. But this team is very bipolar. We've beaten the alleged best team in the nation, and we've lost to Chicago State. Hard to place where a team like that belongs, really. Maybe the selection committee will throw us a bone.

From the metrics alone, yeah, I think it is. But this team is very bipolar. We've beaten the alleged best team in the nation, and we've lost to Chicago State. Hard to place where a team like that belongs, really. Maybe the selection committee will throw us a bone.|
Obviously I cannot speak for the committee, but that Chicago State game sure screams outlier to me.

26 New Mexico, 28 Miss St., and 33 Indiana St also have Q4 losses, and are ranked higher.

26 NMU is 4-3 in Q1 and 1-2 in Q2
28 Miss St. is 3-6 in Q1, and 5-0 Q2
33 Ind St. is 1-3 Q1 and 4-1 Q2

52 NU is 4-5, 5-2.

So I think we are being penalized for whatever, but I have a hard time describing us as "bipolar."

Last edited:
That Chicago State game is about as out as outliers get. As is beating number one. I'll grant you that on the whole we're more consistent, and I wanted a better adjective than bipolar. My thought was simply that we've shown that on any given night we can rate just about anywhere on the spectrum of teams, even if we're usually in our sweet spot

Ty Berry - please please don’t ignore that he is out for the year and was a part of NU’s quad one wins.

Maryland is more important than people think. NU is definitely on the bubble here folks.

Reactions: GrandRapidsCatFan
Ty Berry - please please don’t ignore that he is out for the year and was a part of NU’s quad one wins.

Maryland is more important than people think. NU is definitely on the bubble here folks.
Depends on your definition of bubble. Bubble to me is the team would not definitely be in if the season ended today. NU is definitely in if the season ended today.

Another definition for bubble could be a team could play its way out (unlike say Houston, Purdue, UConn). In that case, NU, like many many other teams, is in the bubble.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
A team currently tied for third in the BigTen is not on the bubble in my view.
Big ten down this season -
Depends on your definition of bubble. Bubble to me is the team would not definitely be in if the season ended today. NU is definitely in if the season ended today.

Another definition for bubble could be a team could play its way out (unlike say Houston, Purdue, UConn). In that case, NU, like many many other teams, is in the bubble.
Yes, mine is they aren’t a lock contemplating the rest of the schedule and the season..

Every year the big ten is down.

As long as no team below us in the standings gets in. And we know the committee is not sending just two B1G teams.
*Disclaimer- we are talking about the basketball Cats. They could lose-out.

That said -Bob, you and I seem to share some now-misplaced B1G arrogance. Like "4th or 5th in B1G is still ok". There are SIX teams in the Mountain West ahead if us in the NET rankings. I find that laughable, but I'm not on the committee.

We're pretty safe if we win 2 more, I reckon.

*Disclaimer- we are talking about the basketball Cats. They could lose-out.

That said -Bob, you and I seem to share some now-misplaced B1G arrogance. Like "4th or 5th in B1G is still ok". There are SIX teams in the Mountain West ahead if us in the NET rankings. I find that laughable, but I'm not on the committee.

We're pretty safe if we win 2 more, I reckon.
One down

So does help or hurt us? NET is maddening.

According to the committee, Quad 1 wins help and Quad 3/4 losses hurt. Everything else is just part of the resume. I don't think the status of the Minnesota loss matters very much.

(Plus we're basically NCAA locks at this point so we're just worried about seeding)

Reactions: rmndcat
NU is safely in the tournament and is playing for a 7 seed, or even that glorious 6. This weekend is big, and next week at Breslin is huuuuuge.
A 6 seed is probably going to require (1) winning out the regular season, including at Sparty; and (2) two wins in the Big Ten Tournament.

A 7 seed probably requires either the Sparty win or the 2 Big Ten Tournament wins (and still beating Iowa and Minnesota).

Reactions: NUCat320
A 6 seed is probably going to require (1) winning out the regular season, including at Sparty; and (2) two wins in the Big Ten Tournament.

A 7 seed probably requires either the Sparty win or the 2 Big Ten Tournament wins (and still beating Iowa and Minnesota).
Your 6 seed scenario would have NU at 25-9, playing in the final of the Big Ten Tournament, having won 10 of 11 going into the game, and likely having just beaten Wisconsin and/or Illinois.

That’s probably good enough for a 5.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT