ADVERTISEMENT

3 B1G wins in a week.

ricko654321

Nov 15, 2006
Well another decisive CATS win, so I might as well post again. It scares me to keep saying and repeating it, but this Cats bball team just seems different. So many prior years whenever we are a favorite in a conference game it’s automatic cause for concern and nail biting. I missed the first 10 ish minutes, and by the time I tuned in we were already up double digits. We extended it to 17 at halftime, then 20 in early 2H, and never looked back. They tried pressing us and we looked totally comfortable breaking the press.

I didn’t love us taking the air out of the ball but even starting our attack at 10 seconds or less on the shot clock we seemed to get a decent look almost every possession down the stretch. Our defense got slightly lazy a few possessions with a 20 pt lead, but I appreciated Chris calling the TO after the Boo FTs to tell them that. The outcome of the game wasn’t in doubt but he wanted us to finish it playing the right way. After that TO they scored some more points but almost entirely from the FT line, on some dubious calls. And when they cut it to 15, Boo scored a quick 4 to shut the door.

It was an all around very strong team effort. Various different players contributed. Solid team basketball.

Outside of the general happiness with the game, a couple other brief observations:
1. Chase looked like an all-B1G player to me today. I’m sure he doesn’t care about that and is happy with the win, but I’m just saying.
2. Boo was decisive. Made good decisions. Great finishes around the rim. And again brought the effort on defense. He and Chase are a dynamic duo.
3. Robbie Beran’s offense showed up. I don’t think this was his breakout game mostly because we didn’t really need it today. But him getting more confidence in his shot and his moves off the dribble can only be a good thing.
4. The “it was a total team effort” thing. Tydus made a couple plays on offense (still too many fouls on D). Martinelli again gave us some solid minutes. Nicholson did his thing, made a couple FTs. Berry’s scoring wasn’t needed as much today but he played solid D and was smart with the ball. Players are making plays when it’s appropriate, and distributing the ball to others when they don’t need to.

It just looks like a TEAM.

Now the last point, on a less optimistic note - we just took advantage of the easier part of our schedule which is huge. It’s gonna get tougher from here on out. 3 more games next week, 2 on the road. Zero more games against Neb or Minn. No easy wins remaining, lots of battles from here. But from watching our team, I like the way we battle, and so I don’t hate our chances.

Good clean American fun tonight for the boys, then back at it for Iowa Michigan Wisconsin. Keep pounding away, one game at a time.

GO CATS!

Two wins in a row where NU had a double-digit lead the entirety of the second half. They are putting inferior teams away early and not letting them get even a whiff of confidence.

I don’t like slowing down the game either, but when someone says Audige and Berry shouldn’t be playing 35 minutes in a blowout, some of those minutes were “easier” and provided breaks on the floor. Plus they’re 22-year-old athletes. I’d be dead before the first media timeout.

I’ll speak up for Verhoeven’s defense here. Yes he fouled out again but by the time it happened any Minnesota fans who had come for the game were pulling off 94 for lunch in Eau Claire.

TV played an all-around game: some creditable defense, pulled down some rebounds, got 3 blocks, a steal and added an assist. Took 3 shots and made two. I’ll take that anytime.

Two wins in a row where NU had a double-digit lead the entirety of the second half. They are putting inferior teams away early and not letting them get even a whiff of confidence.

I don’t like slowing down the game either, but when someone says Audige and Berry shouldn’t be playing 35 minutes in a blowout, some of those minutes were “easier” and provided breaks on the floor. Plus they’re 22-year-old athletes. I’d be dead before the first media timeout.
I DEFINITELY like them slowing the game down. It’s still not a good offensive team, they don’t want to get into a run and gun game with nearly anybody. Much better to force a half court game, use the many turnovers they force to bank a fast break points advantage, and force the other team to play disciplined, tough offense against a grinding defense. This week it made even more sense to conserve energy and basically sit on the leads. Plus it seems to keep Boo and Chase at peak decision-making.

I’ll speak up for Verhoeven’s defense here. Yes he fouled out again but by the time it happened any Minnesota fans who had come for the game were pulling off 94 for lunch in Eau Claire.

TV played an all-around game: some creditable defense, pulled down some rebounds, got 3 blocks, a steal and added an assist. Took 3 shots and made two. I’ll take that anytime.
Yep. Good day for Tydus. If he can provide 10-15 mins of solid effort that's all we really want out of him.

Not saying you're wrong for thinking that. NU definitely needs to conserve energy with the slate of games they have these two weeks but... they are number THREE in offense in conference play. How crazy is that?! They have been a well balanced team and honestly should be OFF the bubble as of now.

Well another decisive CATS win, so I might as well post again. It scares me to keep saying and repeating it, but this Cats bball team just seems different. So many prior years whenever we are a favorite in a conference game it’s automatic cause for concern and nail biting. I missed the first 10 ish minutes, and by the time I tuned in we were already up double digits. We extended it to 17 at halftime, then 20 in early 2H, and never looked back. They tried pressing us and we looked totally comfortable breaking the press.

I didn’t love us taking the air out of the ball but even starting our attack at 10 seconds or less on the shot clock we seemed to get a decent look almost every possession down the stretch. Our defense got slightly lazy a few possessions with a 20 pt lead, but I appreciated Chris calling the TO after the Boo FTs to tell them that. The outcome of the game wasn’t in doubt but he wanted us to finish it playing the right way. After that TO they scored some more points but almost entirely from the FT line, on some dubious calls. And when they cut it to 15, Boo scored a quick 4 to shut the door.

It was an all around very strong team effort. Various different players contributed. Solid team basketball.

Outside of the general happiness with the game, a couple other brief observations:
1. Chase looked like an all-B1G player to me today. I’m sure he doesn’t care about that and is happy with the win, but I’m just saying.
2. Boo was decisive. Made good decisions. Great finishes around the rim. And again brought the effort on defense. He and Chase are a dynamic duo.
3. Robbie Beran’s offense showed up. I don’t think this was his breakout game mostly because we didn’t really need it today. But him getting more confidence in his shot and his moves off the dribble can only be a good thing.
4. The “it was a total team effort” thing. Tydus made a couple plays on offense (still too many fouls on D). Martinelli again gave us some solid minutes. Nicholson did his thing, made a couple FTs. Berry’s scoring wasn’t needed as much today but he played solid D and was smart with the ball. Players are making plays when it’s appropriate, and distributing the ball to others when they don’t need to.

It just looks like a TEAM.

Now the last point, on a less optimistic note - we just took advantage of the easier part of our schedule which is huge. It’s gonna get tougher from here on out. 3 more games next week, 2 on the road. Zero more games against Neb or Minn. No easy wins remaining, lots of battles from here. But from watching our team, I like the way we battle, and so I don’t hate our chances.

Good clean American fun tonight for the boys, then back at it for Iowa Michigan Wisconsin. Keep pounding away, one game at a time.

GO CATS!
Don't forget free Chickfilee as MN (a 60% FT shooting team) missed 8. Course you only get that if you go to the game

You'd last that long?

I DEFINITELY like them slowing the game down. It’s still not a good offensive team, they don’t want to get into a run and gun game with nearly anybody. Much better to force a half court game, use the many turnovers they force to bank a fast break points advantage, and force the other team to play disciplined, tough offense against a grinding defense. This week it made even more sense to conserve energy and basically sit on the leads. Plus it seems to keep Boo and Chase at peak decision-making.
It is more that with the intensity that they put into D, the schedule coming up and the lack of depth with Roper out and the need for the big two to be on the floor to handle press and with the game well in hand, it definitely made sense to slow it down.

Reactions: ricko654321
It is more that with the intensity that they put into D, the schedule coming up and the lack of depth with Roper out and the need for the big two to be on the floor to handle press and with the game well in hand, it definitely made sense to slow it down.
We kinda have to play like a guard-oriented version of classic Wisconsin game where we try to play the most efficient offense we can (our offense is obviously very different than theirs) and then just grind you down in the half court defensively where we’re so good. A running game isn’t our bag, takes away our big strength.

You'd last that long?
I'd pass out long before that, but I figure I'd manage to still be breathing for at least a couple of minutes.

And yeah, I shouldn't say I didn't like slowing the game down. More like I don't like how they slow it down so much that they don't get any real offense going, but like the OP said, today they managed to get good shot attempts after slowing down anyway, which is the best of both worlds. When Boo wants to go to the rack and make a layup and/or get fouled, that's fine with me.

Reactions: hdhntr1
Don't forget free Chickfilee as MN (a 60% FT shooting team) missed 8. Course you only get that if you go to the game
I never heard the announcers say where the chicken sandwiches were coming from. Maybe they did but i suppose they aren't paid to talk up Chickfilee.

Reactions: AdamOnFirst
Very unselfish team. Lots of great passes and assists in the first half. They seem to really enjoy playing with each other. They have jelled as a TEAM. So much fun being at Welsh Ryan with a packed and active student section and great defense and team offense on the court. Go Cats!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT