ADVERTISEMENT

wlcat

Jun 12, 2001
30. It’s a number old journalists used to use to mark the end of their stories before sending it to the copy desk. My recollection from my days in journalism school many years ago at Ohio University, the 30 dates back to the use of the telegraph during the Civil War.

As those of you who attended the NU-UN basketball game, the proverbial Cat is out of the bag. After covering basketball since 1976 and football since 1980, my postgame report that afternoon was a 30 on my career. The autographed basketball and football I was presented were great honors and a complete shock to me, hence the dazed look on my face when I was called to midcourt. They are now proudly displayed on my fireplace.

My memories are priceless and the thank you list to the athletes and people in the Northwestern community goes on forever. Fitz and Chris no longer have to worry about that guy asking those ridiculous questions. I pride myself on being a good listener, especially in my early days when hearing stories and learning from old-time journalists, like Bill Jauss. Now I am one of those old-time journalists. I enjoyed the comments, both good and bad, from my readers. I especially learned from my critics. However, I always tried to remain unbiased in my coverage.

The most disturbing stories I had to write were on the passing of two outstanding men (Randy Walker and Ricky Byrdsong) as well as three football players (Jeff Hiller, Marcel Price and Rashidi Wheeler). I never figured out how to ask the right question in those circumstances.

The Northwestern I walked into in 1976 seems like ages ago. John Pont was both AD and football coach and Tex Winter was the basketball coach with young assistant Rich Falk. There was a dirt track surrounding the basketball court, creating a dust storm during halftime. There were no meals for the press, just a box of M&Ms and a Coke. But somehow I have managed to put on 50 pounds.

I want to thank Lou for giving me the opportunity to contribute stories to this forum eight years ago, after given my walking papers from my previous employer of 32 years. Unfortunately, I had to turn down his lucrative offer to remain.

I have a couple of reasons for ending this run. The main one is sharing time with my three grandchildren. During those 32 years, 30 as a sports editor, I felt I had cheated my wife and two children out of too much time, missing family events or forcing them to schedule around a football or basketball game. This is a little way I can try to give back now.

I made my decision two weeks before the Nebraska game, sending an e-mail to Jim Phillips. I started wavering on my decision, but then I spent a week in Disney World with two of my grandchildren and I knew was making the right move.

I’ve had a front row seat while watching Northwestern rise from the dark days in nearly all sports and, with all the building plans underway, see a very bright future. Now it’s time to allow some younger eyes take notes and ask the questions.

— 30 —

As Fitz would say, “Go Cats!”

Larry Watts

Thanks for all that you have done for us, the fans, and hoping your retirement is as fulfilling as your career.

Adding my thanks as well... Wow Bill Jauss. Got to know him from my days at NU. Always smiling (when I saw him anyway...)

Larry,

I was at many press conferences with you while an undergrad with WNUR. Read your writing religiously and glad you get to go out on your terms. Enjoy

Thanks for all the information and entertainment you've brought to all of us through the years. Best wishes for a long and happy retirement!

Wow Larry, so sad to see you are leaving the beat but clearly happy for you too.

Do us a favor and, if not at all the games anymore, tune in when you can and share some insights.

You are one the best. Thanks so much.

Now turn off the damn computer and go out and enjoy yourself!

Euro.

Hi Larry... thank you for your inspired coverage of our beloved Cats over the years. Though I have no expectation you'd have a clue who I was, we crossed paths a number of times during my days at NU as I worked in the Sports Info office. I was the press box announcer for the football games during the '89, '90 and '91 seasons. Enjoy your family!!

Thank you, Larry. I always enjoyed your writing over the years.

Your work will be greatly missed around here, Larry, but I hope we'll see you (and the grandkids) around as a relaxed spectator at a game every now and then.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT