ADVERTISEMENT

A complete mess as Michigan State Football pauses workouts

Titanium999

Jan 16, 2014
The contract tracing is a major hurdle at MSU, Northwestern and everywhere as once a player or coach tests positive, anyone he is in contact with also has to self quarentine. In this case,a coach tested positive,so they are reviewing video tape of practice. Unfortunately,this means college football will collapse before it gets started. You heard it from Wrassler first. There will be no college football this fall due to the necessity of contract tracing and self quarentine requirements. As mentioned on another thread, I know a college athlete who got pretty sick. So this is no joke. Unfortunately, we will also have a collapsing economy unless we can get a vaccine first.

The contract tracing is a major hurdle at MSU, Northwestern and everywhere as once a player or coach tests positive, anyone he is in contact with also has to self quarentine. In this case,a coach tested positive,so they are reviewing video tape of practice. Unfortunately,this means college football will collapse before it gets started. You heard it from Wrassler first. There will be no college football this fall due to the necessity of contract tracing and self quarentine requirements. As mentioned on another thread, I know a college athlete who got pretty sick. So this is no joke. Unfortunately, we will also have a collapsing economy unless we can get a vaccine first.

1) It's "contact" not "contract."

2) You're really going to try to claim the mantle as being the "first" to say college football won't happen?

Good insight.
Why didnt they do this for the flu?

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
What mess at MSU?

Good insight.
Why didnt they do this for the flu?
I've seen you say this on occasion and I'm exhausted by it. As a matter of public health Covid-19 and the flu are meaningfully different. That isn't to say we never do anything to fight flu outbreaks, but we don't usually need to do nearly as much.

If Covid-19 shared similarities to the flu but you could show the flu was worse in every way then it would be understandable to say "why are you getting so worked about this?". Instead they share some symptomatic similarities but Covid-19 is proving worse in each and every way. That's why I find comparisons to the flu woefully inappropriate.

Covid-19 is a disease caused but a novel virus. Most people have never had been infected by a deadly coronavirus strain; most people have had multiple such exposure to influenza strains resulting in on average better immune responses to the flu.

Covid-19 has a higher natural rate of transmission. Unconstrained it took just a few months to go everywhere in the world. However, it is manageable with a strong response. The rate of transmission appears to be very sensitive to whether people are practicing social distancing, washing their hands and wearing masks. Without any of those measures to rein in transmission death rates would be an order of magnitude or two higher than the catastrophe it already is.

Covid-19 has a longer incubation period leading to more presymptomatic spread.

Covid-19 is deadlier. It has 140,000 attributable deaths in 4 months. The worst year for influenza since the Spanish Flu was 1967 with 110,000 deaths. (Accordingly there were public health measures to fight the flu in 1967!). Typically you get 30-50,000 deaths relating to influenza and pneumonia.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
I've seen you say this on occasion and I'm exhausted by it. As a matter of public health Covid-19 and the flu are meaningfully different. That isn't to say we never do anything to fight flu outbreaks, but we don't usually need to do nearly as much.

If Covid-19 shared similarities to the flu but you could show the flu was worse in every way then it would be understandable to say "why are you getting so worked about this?". Instead they share some symptomatic similarities but Covid-19 is proving worse in each and every way. That's why I find comparisons to the flu woefully inappropriate.

Covid-19 is a disease caused but a novel virus. Most people have never had been infected by a deadly coronavirus strain; most people have had multiple such exposure to influenza strains resulting in on average better immune responses to the flu.

Covid-19 has a higher natural rate of transmission. Unconstrained it took just a few months to go everywhere in the world. However, it is manageable with a strong response. The rate of transmission appears to be very sensitive to whether people are practicing social distancing, washing their hands and wearing masks. Without any of those measures to rein in transmission death rates would be an order of magnitude or two higher than the catastrophe it already is.

Covid-19 is deadlier. It has 140,000 attributable deaths in 4 months. The worst year for influenza since the Spanish Flu was 1967 with 110,000 deaths. (Accordingly there were public health measures to fight the flu in 1967!). Typically you get 30-50,000 deaths relating to influenza and pneumonia.
Please ignore Wicker/Turk. He’s very stupid.

Reactions: corbi296

I'm very concerned about elementary and middle School schools reopening! Hopefully,noone will get very sick. I think it is our most urgent matter now! Not college football.

Five children under 18 have died of Covid-19 in Florida since April. My guess is the NCAA cancels football championships tomorrow and soon thereafter, college football in the Big Ten,SEC,etc, will be canceled.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT