ADVERTISEMENT

All you people complaining about The Screamer

Are you the same people who tell people to sit down and be quiet at football games?
I think The Screamer rules and I'll miss her when she's gone.

There are other ways to show massive support rather than intentionally and knowingly irritating 75% of those in attendance. It’s not her enthusiasm that’s the problem...it’s her choice to be as obnoxious as she possibly can for no apparent reason other than attention.

There are other ways to show massive support rather than intentionally and knowingly irritating 75% of those in attendance. It’s not her enthusiasm that’s the problem...it’s her choice to be as obnoxious as she possibly can for no apparent reason other than attention.
It's all about her. Has nothing to do with supporting the teams. It's her 15 minutes of fame.

Are you the same people who tell people to sit down and be quiet at football games?
I think of her like I would a hypothetical 5-year-old screaming kid sitting behind me at a football game. The kid starts his high-pitched screaming and I think, "Aw, that's funny/cute/awesome. He's making more noise than 80% of the folks in attendance." As the game continues, though, it ceases to be cute. My ears start ringing and I find it hard to focus on anything but the damn noise. The problem isn't that the kid is enthusiastic and trying to make noise, it's that the kid is making a particularly annoying, high-pitched, shrill noise. It's the the kind of noise that produces an uncomfortable physical reaction and distracts from the game.

Like Virginia said above, it's not the enthusiasm that's the issue–it's just the type of noise that the screamer makes. And the difference between her and the hypothetical 5-year-old kid is that the kid can't help but make that noise when he screams. For her it's a choice.

It's annoying, but the building was deserted the other night -- no students -- but she was there. Can't argue with that.
This. She shows up and cheers loudly. I’m incredibly more pissed about the students that left their section empty against Wisconsin & ND during the football season than I’d ever be about a loud fan who, again, shows up and makes noise for her team. Imagine if we had a hundred students like her to throw off opposing teams’ players during free throw shots: it’d be a nice home court advantage.

Shame on our fans who complain about her. This is coming from a fan who’s been yelled at to “sit down and be quiet” by our fans at Ryan Field, opposing fans at other Big Ten stadiums / arenas, and neutral fans at bowl games. Our fanbase is weak and doesn’t know how to cheer, for the most part.

We’ll never have a home field advantage if we discourage fans like her, and others, from doing their thing. It’s Better to have positive noise than yet another empty seat at our sporting events.

I’ll get off the lawn now.

Last edited:
So if I was an enthusiastic fan and chose to relentlessly scream (at the top of my lungs) extreme vulgarity all game long, you’d have no problem with that?
Are you saying that she’s been screaming vulgarities, which I haven’t heard, or that would be your preferred mode of communication if you were to cheer as hard as her? Please clarify.

Either way, it depends if kids are around and where you’re directing those vulgarities. E.g. if the refs were jobbing us - and there were no kids within earshot - I’d have no problem with you yelling vulgarities at them.

I heard the entire Rutgers student section loudly chanting “bullish!t” at the refs whenever they disagreed with a call. New Jersey’s survived somehow.

Are you saying that she’s been screaming vulgarities, which I haven’t heard, or that would be your preferred mode of communication if you were to cheer as hard as her? Please clarify.

Either way, it depends if kids are around and where you’re directing those vulgarities. E.g. if the refs were jobbing us - and there were no kids within earshot - I’d have no problem with you yelling vulgarities at them.

I heard the entire Rutgers student section loudly chanting “bullish!t” at the refs whenever they disagreed with a call. New Jersey’s survived somehow.

I’m saying...would you be okay with her screaming vulgarities (sexual and otherwise) instead of high-pitched screaming, as long as she was enthusiastic about it?

And this after all the concern that NU was building only a 7,000-seat arena.
Attendance for the Chicago State game? 4,000? 3,000, 2,000? Guess they will need to downsize the "new W-R" to something under 5,000.

I’m saying...would you be okay with her screaming vulgarities (sexual and otherwise) instead of high-pitched screaming, as long as she was enthusiastic about it?
I still don’t get what you’re going for with that analogy, but no not if kids were present. Thankfully she’s just shrieking loudly and not doing anything vulgar. What’s your point?

You’re trying to set up a sort of ridiculous false choice her. Like her or not, the so called screamer is not using obscenities (sexual or otherwise).

Reactions: NUCat320
I think of her like I would a hypothetical 5-year-old screaming kid sitting behind me at a football game. The kid starts his high-pitched screaming and I think, "Aw, that's funny/cute/awesome. He's making more noise than 80% of the folks in attendance." As the game continues, though, it ceases to be cute. My ears start ringing and I find it hard to focus on anything but the damn noise. The problem isn't that the kid is enthusiastic and trying to make noise, it's that the kid is making a particularly annoying, high-pitched, shrill noise. It's the the kind of noise that produces an uncomfortable physical reaction and distracts from the game.

Like Virginia said above, it's not the enthusiasm that's the issue–it's just the type of noise that the screamer makes. And the difference between her and the hypothetical 5-year-old kid is that the kid can't help but make that noise when he screams. For her it's a choice.
OK, I am convinced. Treat her like that 5-year old. Though it's politically incorrect to state, she needs a good spanking.

I still don’t get what you’re going for with that analogy, but no not if kids were present. Thankfully she’s just shrieking loudly and not doing anything vulgar. What’s your point?

My point is that screaming at the top of your lungs repeatedly, often for no apparent reason, is just as irritating/irrational for adults listening as vulgarity would be for children listening.

Or we can add on to make it 17000, with 12000 wearing opposing team colors.
Do you think that would bother the "powers to be"? It might piss off the players and coaches but money seems to be their main objective. See "donations" for parking lot and BB seats.

Do you think that would bother the "powers to be"? It might piss off the players and coaches but money seems to be their main objective. See "donations" for parking lot and BB seats.
It would bother me if I was a STH enough to say f*^* it, if the local alum and fans don’t care enough to attend, why would I. Keep the stadium Purple.

Last year she was a bit over the top but this year she seems to scream only when the opposing players are shooting free throws. And yes, she was one of the few students there for the Chicago State Game so she's one of us.

Official attendance was just under 6,000.
6,000 might be tickets sold but there was definitely no where close to that many in seat. Tickets online were dollars and you could get lower level first few rows seats for like 15$

look, we have a lot of old pricks and "Old Guard" who barely get up out of their seats and they think they have the right to silence the Screamer since they have a NU degree. Puck that!

Tell the screamer that Turk and progressives like me love her and her screams. It's damn near Awesome!

look, we have a lot of old pricks and "Old Guard" who barely get up out of their seats and they think they have the right to silence the Screamer since they have a NU degree. Puck that!

Tell the screamer that Turk and progressives like me love her and her screams. It's damn near Awesome!
Turk, even Charlie Hall says the Screamer gets on his nerves, and Charlie loves everyone!! She's a dedicated fan but needs to lose the Scream.

220px-Edvard_Munch%2C_1893%2C_The_Scream%2C_oil%2C_tempera_and_pastel_on_cardboard%2C_91_x_73_cm%2C_National_Gallery_of_Norway.jpg

The wilson club could care less Turk. Most of them are hard hearing, and wouldnt even hear her if they were in their seats. Most Wilson Club members arent even in their seats since they can now hang out and network during the game back in the Club this year.

Willycat has a point, should allow fans or students to sit in their seats because that whole section looks like a empty parking lot from section 108.
Why not close the club during the game to support the team?

The lameness of the Wilson Club is definitely a problem. It’s like a small section of the Rosemont Horizon holdover.

Here’s what I would suggest: Shut down food and beverage service during actuall play. But provide F&B delivery service to the seats during play. Maybe have an app tied to seat numbers where people can call in for beer and food etc. during play. That way people get their money’s worth in terms of pampering and their butts are in the seats where they belong!

It’s not fair to the team to have their biggest $ supporters hidden in the shadows saucing it up while they play.

Last edited:
The lameness of the Wilson Club is definitely a problem. It’s like a small section of the Rosemont Horizon holdover.

Here’s what I would suggest: Shut down food and beverage service during actuall play. But provide F&B delivery service to the seats during play. Maybe have an app tied to seat numbers where people can call in for beer and food etc. during play. That way people get their money’s worth in terms of pampering and their butts are in the seats where they belong!

It’s not fair to the team to have their biggest $ supporters hidden in the shadows saucing it up while they play.
Is it possible to reconfigure the Wilson Club so everyone could see the game? Let those seats be made available to ST holders and/or single game buyers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT