ADVERTISEMENT

An inside look at Nebraska -- and an eye-opening pick

From an outside perspective, Betting on Northwestern is always a bad idea. Losing to Akron and then beating Michigan State and almost Michigan. I never know what to expect when playing you guys.

Right there with you. Pretty much the only constant in our program is the confounding ability to both beat or lose to any given opponent in any given week.

From an outside perspective, Betting on Northwestern is always a bad idea. Losing to Akron and then beating Michigan State and almost Michigan. I never know what to expect when playing you guys.

You got that right. To piggyback on what others said, here are some examples in recent seasons:

2014- Lost at home to Northern Illinois (not a terrible team by any stretch, but a game we should always win). Less than a month later, we beat Wisconsin, and we went to South Bend later that season and beat Notre Dame.
2015- Beat Stanford (the Rose Bowl team that crushed Iowa and had McCaffrey at RB), Penn State, Nebraska on the road, and Wisconsin on the road. Also lost three games that year to Michigan, Iowa, and Tennessee by a combined score of 123-16.
2016- Lost to Illinois State at home the second game of the year. By the end of October, we had gone on the road and beat Michigan State (admittedly a bad year for them), beat Iowa in Iowa City, and lost 24-20 to Ohio State in Columbus. Got into a bowl game and beat Pitt (the only team in the country that year that had beaten two Top 5 teams).
2017- Started the year 2-3, including getting destroyed by Duke 41-17...then won our next 8 games and finished 10-3.
2018- Lost to Akron at home...two weeks later give Michigan everything they can handle and the week after that beat Michigan State in East Lansing.

In order for this NU program to take the next step, they have to become more consistent from week to week. Almost all college football teams will throw in a stinker or two a year, but it's hard to find a program that has been as inconsistent as NU's over the past five years.

I don't find Callahan's prediction that surprising. Nebraska is having a lousy year, but their areas of strength match up with some of the weaker aspects of Northwestern. The Cats will have to keep Martinez under control on defense, and we'll need another good week out of Thorson to take advantage of the Husker D.

From an inside perspective, Betting on Northwestern is always a bad idea. Losing to Akron and then beating Michigan State and almost Michigan. I never know what to expect when rooting on our guys.

I like his story but can’t come to terms with his final tally. The Cats score 30 how we may kick one FG, then again we score 5 TD’s and fail to get even one extra point.

I like his story but can’t come to terms with his final tally. The Cats score 30 how we may kick one FG, then again we score 5 TD’s and fail to get even one extra point.

3 TDs, 3 XPs, 3 FGs. 18 + 3 + 9 = 30.

Given the season so far it's hard to imagine a game this season when Fitz would attempt 3 (or more) FGs to get the 9 points, but hopefully both the kicking game and Fitz's willingness to use it will be in synch with each other.

Given the season so far it's hard to imagine a game this season when Fitz would attempt 3 (or more) FGs to get the 9 points, but hopefully both the kicking game and Fitz's willingness to use it will be in synch with each other.
Don't forget that the kicker has a leg injury.......

Not playing like a smart team yet, though they do have some firepower.
BAdgers played very soft on defense, bend but don't break and wore them down on defense.
Cats take advantage of turnovers and win a tight game.

NU can lose to anyone and seem to prove it every year. NU is a 3.5 point favorite at home, so this is essentially a push. Nebby is 0-5 . If we can’t expect to beat them at home when they are 0-5, when can we? Where do we have a disadvantage on Nebby? Wide Receiver for sure and probably at RB. NU needs to go out and play with swag not fear. Come out aggressive and stay that way.

Budzein went 4-4 against Michigan in 2013, and 3-3 against Cal, dOSU and Illinois.

Guy was 23 of 24 his senior year. The only FG he missed was against Maine.....Unreal.

Pretty sure I know the answer to this question, but I'll go ahead and ask it anyway . . . . . am I the only one of us who went and had a Budzien jersey made? Just loved the guy; he was Valenzisi II, The Sequel. :D

Pretty sure I know the answer to this question, but I'll go ahead and ask it anyway . . . . . am I the only one of us who went and had a Budzien jersey made? Just loved the guy; he was Valenzisi II, The Sequel. :D
I think my daughter got one.......she had quite a crush on him!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT