ADVERTISEMENT

Annoyed, but not depressed.

stpaulcat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
St. Paul
Once upon a time, this kind of loss would put me into a two day depression. Not any more, now I'm just annoyed that the destiny of this football program seems to be a moderate level of success without ever cracking the ceiling of a division championship, a B1G championship and/or another Rose Bowl, sadly getting used to the fact that this is an engine running on one or two less cylinders than needed, and not knowing which cylinders those will be in any given year, or even game, although we've all got our eye on the OL cylinder. It's time to take her into the shop.

Sad also, to diminish the success of our best athletes with this pattern.

Reactions: NUCats and 2388bb
Once upon a time, this kind of loss would put me into a two day depression. Not any more, now I'm just annoyed that the destiny of this football program seems to be a moderate level of success without ever cracking the ceiling of a division championship, a B1G championship and/or another Rose Bowl, sadly getting used to the fact that this is an engine running on one or two less cylinders than needed, and not knowing which cylinders those will be in any given year, or even game, although we've all got our eye on the OL cylinder. It's time to take her into the shop.

I will add bored to annoyed. I find the program a bit boring right now.

Reactions: StratCat84

I legitimately said the exact same thing this morning.

I used to lose sleep over NU losses. Yesterday I was pissed, but didn't really care. Wish I could say I was still as emotionally invested in this program as I've always been, but yesterday was the boiling point. I just can't get worked up with a program that's so content with mediocrity

Reactions: 2388bb

I think that's where I find myself too. I've accepted that last season is probably as good as it gets and many years will be worse.

I think that's where I find myself too. I've accepted that last season is probably as good as it gets and many years will be worse.
With the new sports complex coming on line, we should't feel this way but it feels like we might be getting a Corvette but only know how to drive a minivan.

Reactions: iskaboo
I will add bored to annoyed. I find the program a bit boring right now.

I was very bored during the game yesterday. Very bored during the Illinois State debacle last year. Even when our team was terrible in the past, I was never driven to just turning off one of our games. I do that now.

I miss the days when NU stood for being innovative (see the early spread offense days). Our offense is a mess... are we a spread team or a running team? What the eff are we? Fitz wants to run the ball and win games 17-15... but we don't recruit and scheme for that?

With the new sports complex coming on line, we should't feel this way but it feels like we might be getting a Corvette but only know how to drive a minivan.

The new complex should give Philips and Schapiro some more concrete (literally) reason to push expectations and to demand change if performance is poor.

When NU builds $200MM facilities for research, those faculty are expected to produce NIH grants, increase the national ranking of NU in their respective departments, etc. If academic faculty do not get grants they are often let go.

Pretty much all our other position coaches have put players on all conference rosters, in the NFL etc. that I can think of (DL, LB, DB, WR, RB, superback...) Our OL has underperformed in that metric severely in the last several years.

Once upon a time, this kind of loss would put me into a two day depression. Not any more, now I'm just annoyed that the destiny of this football program seems to be a moderate level of success without ever cracking the ceiling of a division championship, a B1G championship and/or another Rose Bowl, .
#6and6Fitz_till_2025

Fitz wants to run the ball and win games 17-15... but we don't recruit and scheme for that?

This to me is the most frustrating thing of all. If he wants to be a "three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust" team, fine. That's sort of dull, but it's a legit strategy, and it's really satisfying as a fan to ram the ball down another team's throat. However, if you're going to do that, you have to have the players to do it. You would think then that more attention would be given to making run-blocking better.

I was very bored during the game yesterday. Very bored during the Illinois State debacle last year. Even when our team was terrible in the past, I was never driven to just turning off one of our games. I do that now.

I miss the days when NU stood for being innovative (see the early spread offense days). Our offense is a mess... are we a spread team or a running team? What the eff are we? Fitz wants to run the ball and win games 17-15... but we don't recruit and scheme for that?
The Nevada game was boring as well. You could hear a pin drop in the stadium during about 90% of the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT