ADVERTISEMENT

Any chance of talking about the basketball coming up?

julescat

May 29, 2001
Like the game tomorrow or the BTT? I think a couple days of celebration of the Wednesday result was totally appropriate but how about what's left?

Can NU get away from that McIntosh thing at the end of games?

I pray that we can. We don't have a superb offense but we have a Big Ten offense, and it works when we have ball movement. And we are more likely to have ball movement when we make the attempt to have ball movement.

The major problem will be handling Swanigan. Nothing like saying the obvious, but he reminds me of Moses Malone in that when he gets it low, it is all over. I have little coaching acumen, but I would shuttle folks at him and no double teams since he passes so well. I would not have Pardon cover him since we need him to rebound. I would see if we coujd shut the others down and take my chances on Swanigan not beating us. We really have to pressure their entry passes to Swanigan.

As to end of the game, I hate the ISO look. I would run the weave up top with Law, Lindsey and Mac, Mac seems to be the only one who can break down the other team on the dribble, but the movement may create space. During the game, I would try to have the L boys post up some more.

If Swanigan is their only big, I would try a line up of Tap, Mac, Lindsey, Law and Brown. We could not cover him, but who would he cover? We would be faster than him and can get to the basket.

Just some crazy thoughts. Please make sure to get there early for Senior Day. Tap and Sanjay have been great ambassadors and contributors to the program.

We will need good minutes from Benson and for Lindsey and Law to stay active on both ends. They have to find and make open 3s. Our success against Happ, with really smart double-teaming, suggests we might do better at containing Swanigan this time.

I think we're going to lose a somewhat close game, but it will be a building block Collins can use as we go it's the BTT. This team will play with maybe the most hype in the country the rest of the way, and this will be a good test of how we perform under those conditions.

Like the game tomorrow or the BTT? I think a couple days of celebration of the Wednesday result was totally appropriate but how about what's left?

Can NU get away from that McIntosh thing at the end of games?

I sure hope so. CCC sees it. You can see him getting on BMac to start earlier after time-outs when the camera is on them. I think he wants to kill some clock (emphasis on some) and them run one decent shot at the offense. But that involves passing and it means we should start at about 15 or 16 or whatever. At least.

The truth is that the guys who can take a clock down to 10 or less are the kind of guys who are physical marvels in some way and can get a shot off against anybody,any time,no matter what. Super fast. Super freaky. Super-something.

BMac is not that. He can take guys - and he's good at it.

But his style is more like a cat and mouse game where he makes a bunch of mini-moves and fakes and stop and starts and lean-ins ... and waits for the defender to make a mistake - and then he pounces on it. But BMac needs time. And he need the threat of a pass!

It's not just quickie, brute force "I can take you and you can't stop me" stuff where everybody knows it's just a one on one clear-out.

So we need to dump this 10 second BMac "I can take-you" plan - because he can't without the threat of a pass. We need the threat of a pass and that means we need to start with more time to go, in my view.

Last edited:
We will need good minutes from Benson and for Lindsey and Law to stay active on both ends. They have to find and make open 3s. Our success against Happ, with really smart double-teaming, suggests we might do better at containing Swanigan this time.

I think we're going to lose a somewhat close game, but it will be a building block Collins can use as we go it's the BTT. This team will play with maybe the most hype in the country the rest of the way, and this will be a good test of how we perform under those conditions.
I would like to see Benson take Swanigan on and also have the refs call O fouls on his bull rushes to the basket.

88-ft pass ... impending tournament ...CBS ... senior day ... last game at WR ...former players all over ... good team ...

This one has distractions and let down written all over it. I hope not.

This team has had SPECTACULAR focus. How many times have they shocked you in this great season?

I hope they have another battle in them this weekend. It would be an incredible way to seal the deal.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
But that involves passing and it means we should start at about 15 or 16 or whatever. At least.

The truth is that the guys who can take a clock down to 10 or less are the kind of guys who are physical marvels in some way and can get a shot off against anybody,any time,no matter what. Super fast. Super freaky. Super-something.

So we need to dump this 10 second BMac "I can take-you" plan - because he can't without the threat of a pass. We need the threat of a pass and that means we need to start with more time to go, in my view.

Totally agree - been saying the same thing.

I sure hope so. CCC sees it. You can see him getting on BMac to start earlier after time-outs when the camera is on them. I think he wants to kill some clock (emphasis on some) and them run one decent shot at the offense. But that involves passing and it means we should start at about 15 or 16 or whatever. At least.

BMac is not that. He can take guys - and he's good at it.

But his style is more like a cat and mouse game where he makes a bunch of mini-moves and fakes and stop and starts and lean-ins ... and waits for the defender to make a mistake - and then he pounces on it. But BMac needs time. And he need the threat of a pass!

It's not just quickie, brute force "I can take you and you can't stop me" stuff where everybody knows it's just a one on one clear-out.

Agree with this. If we're going to just run one ball screen for B Mac we need to do it earlier, but it also needs to be a good screen and/or Mac needs to recognize when the post D is going to jump the screen and not dribble into it.

In some ways, I wish if we're going to iso Mac why run the high screen at all? Just gets a 2nd defender in his way and we haven't done a very good job of dealing with that. Just go 1-4 low and see if Mac can draw help or beat his guy straight up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT