ADVERTISEMENT

Any Moose Sightings Yet for dOSU?

DaCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
We need all the help we can get but especially of the Moose karma variety.

Here's one encounter:

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
It is a bit challenging trying to locate a moose here in Palm Springs where I am today.

Taking the Purple to the top of the Great Wall of China seemed to offer positive karma for the win against Iowa that resulted in the West Division Championship so I did the best I could today to replicate that effort. I hoisted my just acquired 2018 B1G West Division Champions cap to the highest point I could reach above the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway Mountain Station at some 8,600 feet in elevation.

Oh, and there was a coyote sighting here, does that count? That will have to suffice until I get back to the Northland later in the week.

Last edited:
Thanks for the report from Palm Springs, but for most of us there is just no substitute for an actual MOOSE SIGHTING. It seems very timely that you will be heading north later this week. :)

Reactions: NUCat320
It is a bit challenging trying to locate a moose here in Palm Springs where I am today.

Taking the Purple to the top of the Great Wall of China seemed to offer positive karma for the win against Iowa that resulted in the West Division Championship so I did the best I could today to replicate that effort. I hoisted my just acquired 2018 B1G West Division Champions cap to the highest point I could reach above the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway Mountain Station at some 8,600 feet in elevation.

Oh, and there was a coyote sighting here, does that count? That will have to suffice until I get back to the Northland later in the week.
It's time for you to do your job and go home!

WE WANT MOOSE

Reactions: DaCat and NUMBfan
was cleaning out the attack last Sunday and found my sons favorite stuffed animal ,,Maxey Moose...hope that counts
Sure it wasn't a reindeer? If it was a real moose,we will take what we can get

No moose for me, but listening to the classical radio station I heard Brahms’ Variation on Haydn this morning. You may recognize the tune.

Reactions: iskaboo and NUMBfan
No moose for me, but listening to the classical radio station I heard Brahms’ Variation on Haydn this morning. You may recognize the tune.

For those who are not as knowledgeable about their classical music selections, this piece has also been adapted as a certain university's Alma Mater. I'll let you guess whose it is.

Good catch, scented one.

Reactions: iskaboo
I was in the NU Bands under the legendary John Paynter, who used to tell us the story of changing the Alma Mater (often sung with choral accompaniment in Latin) to the English-language version that Paynter thought was better-suited for a football audience. So the lyrics that had been "Quecumque sunt vera" subsequently became "Hail to Alma Mater, we will sing thy praise forever." And the rest, as they say, is history!

Here is one of my favorite orchestral performances of the Brahms Variations, by Nikolaus Harnoncourt and the Berlin Philharmonic, undoubtedly recorded to commemorate NU's Rose Bowl appearance in January 1996:

For those who are not as knowledgeable about their classical music selections, this piece has also been adapted as a certain university's Alma Mater. I'll let you guess whose it is.

Good catch, scented one.
My son was at a wedding when they played this piece. He thought, "Why are they playing the Alma Mater?"

IMG_7785_zpsrgukyfny.jpg
IMG_7774_zpspfsjajjg.jpg
IMG_7813_zpswoy1p3yf.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the report from Palm Springs, but for most of us there is just no substitute for an actual MOOSE SIGHTING. It seems very timely that you will be heading north later this week. :)

It's time for you to do your job and go home!

WE WANT MOOSE

Gotta have moose!

Well last night's flight back to Alaska got derailed and then cancelled. Actually we were on the tarmac but had to empty the plane when there was smoke in the cabin. Rebooked on a flight this morning. Upon arrival there was this creature waiting to greet me at Anchorage's International Airport:

IMG_8176_zpsxwhahbel.jpg
IMG_8168_zpsldc6y4qo.jpg

Dale, this raises the age-old question: "DO STUFFED MOOSES ALSO HAVE KARMA"????
The world wants to know the answer, my friend!! :) :D ^_^

Gotta have real live moose!!!

Yes, but do they need to also be feeding on Alaskawildkat's berry bushes? These are important questions of College Football Karma and we need to know the answers! (I think a live, berry-munching moose who is wearing NU gear would certainly be definitive as a karmic sign of impending NU success!) :D :D :D :D :D

Never mind the moose. I just heard about the major earthquake in Alaska earlier today. I pray that Alaskawildkat and everyone else in the region is safe and secure.
Worry not. Alaskawildkat and his family are tough customers and will come through this quite well. He will be in attendance at homecoming next year bearing smoked salmon and reindeer sausage. (By the way Alaska, where did you access the wall when you were in Beijing? I think we were at the same spot last year.)

Worry not. (By the way Alaska, where did you access the wall when you were in Beijing? I think we were at the same spot last year.)

As much as I have enjoyed the "Moose karma" threads. I don't think we have had any live moose sightings by NU fans posted all season.

In response to No Chores inquiry - The "Taking the Purple" to the top of the Great Wall of China was likely the same spot 30 some miles outside of Beijing. Maybe these views confirm? (The third photo is looking across the valley to the lower wall from the side I climbed.)

IMG_6087_zpss6gqueig.jpg
IMG_5914_zpssqqg37cy.jpg
IMG_5806_zpsv4d5sepd.jpg

And in response to Deeringfish, there was the "sighting" of the real live Moose at the Alaska Zoo at the beginning of the season that prefaced our win against Purdue and then the late November appearance in my driveway that preceded our most recent win.

IMG_6451_zpscredksw7.jpg
IMG_4544_zpsjrpwdngh.jpg

For this week, on the Karma Front I will also take it as a positive that the fireworks from my Anaheim hotel window last week blazed purple and Mickey "Moose" was sporting antlers. I am actually headed out to check on the earthquake damage at my office and will keep my eyes peeled for any more antler bearing ungulates en route.

IMG_8121_zpsua18p0hs.jpg
IMG_8148_zpscspobp9k.jpg

Last edited:
OK, just made it back from my recon trip to my office to assess the earthquake damage from yesterday. While the major damage was a demolished standing lamp, my Northwestern table lamp remained unscathed. Adding to the Wildcat Karma my Northwestern Football Stadium replica survived unbroken despite falling some 6 feet to the floor!

Countdown to game time. With Georgia making a game of it with Alabama the excitement is just beginning to set the stage for a prospective Northwestern upset of Ohio State.

Go Cats!

CLICK TO ENLARGE
IMG_8234_zpslid9zt31.jpg
IMG_8252_zps2uc8erid.jpg
IMG_8247_zpsmmf9z4ot.jpg
IMG_8254_zpsscvpc0ej.jpg

Last edited:
Honestly, a moose walked through our town of Park City today. I didn't see it but my wife sent me a video of it but for some reason I couldn't post it to the board.

Honestly, a moose walked through our town of Park City today. I didn't see it but my wife sent me a video of it but for some reason I couldn't post it to the board.

Darn, that was probably the added scintilla of karma that could have made a difference. A still shot would probably have been easier to post. Next time if you have an iPhone you might try to take a screen shot from the video for posting.

Well anyway, the live Moose failed to show on my venture to check out the earthquake damage at my office today to give us a karma lock.

FWIW, on my drive today I did pass the location that was posted on USA Today's website and most other media sites showing the yesterday's earthquake collapsed on ramp. As can be seen from my photo taken today the ramp is almost ready to be driven on once again given the amazing coordinated repair efforts. (For location perspective click to enlarge the second photo and compare the yellow sign with the arrows in both pictures.)

IMG_8263_zpsps0wq1py.jpg
IMG_8259_zpspkg3kpga.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_6087_zpss6gqueig.jpg
IMG_5914_zpssqqg37cy.jpg
IMG_5806_zpsv4d5sepd.jpg

(By the way Alaska, where did you access the wall when you were in Beijing? I think we were at the same spot last year.)

OK, I finally had a chance to go back and check the location codes on my photos. The location was Juyongguan (Juyong Pass) located 37 miles from the center of Beijing. The pass is located in Changing District. Reportedly "stairs on the Western part are quite steep" which I can confirm. (The other side is gentler and only rises to 492 feet, while the West side rises to 1,152 feet.) My climb was to the highest Beacon Tower on the Western part.

In the photos I am climbing the Western part and the pictured view in the third photo is looking across to other lower side of the mountains rising above the valley.

A trivia point I came across was that the uneven steps were made that way intentionally. The builders of the Wall wanted to make it more difficult for invaders to climb up.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT