ADVERTISEMENT

As promised, Ty Berry is a Cat

Great get for the Cats! Starting to build a great class, too bad for the Negative Nellies.

So I'm thinking about - let's say - the first 6 - 8 in the rotation for the '21-'22 season.

1. Berry
2. I hope he's not on the roster yet
3 and 4. Nance and Kopp or Beran
5. Young or Jones

A couple thoughts ...

1) If you get a stud to go with this group, things get really interesting. But I understand the true probability of that.

2) Without having seen anyone play for five minutes, I hope Buie and Audige are legitimate second options ... or visa versa with my primary guys. That gives NU a first - some wiggle room.

3) Man, it seems so much depends on Beran, Nance or Kopp. I hope I can be confident about that after this year.

4) Assuming every recruit next year is not going to be a stud, I'd love to see one who is a lower level player, but a ROCK SOLID three-pointer shooter. Just a guy who you can kick it to and knocks down threes in his sleep. Maybe he's bad on defense and can develop ball handling. That's fine. Just a 15-minute guy who is a threat.

5) F-ing Bam

Audige has a chance to be a primary option, I'd think. Berry, Buie, Audige, and Greer gives you some solid options at the 1 and 2.

Nance, Kopp, and Beran will do just fine at the 3 and 4.

NU has a chance to make some noise. I'm bullish, for sure.

I know it’s tough, but I believe if folks are patient for a few more years Collins can get this program on solid ground. At least to the stage where we are a middle of the pack (with some higher finishes) Big 10 team and make some tourney appearances.

If you look at the last 3 years we have now seen 4 of the highest rated recruits in program history or at least the last 20 years. Sure sometimes those ratings don’t end up predicting reality for a kid’s college performance, but it’s a nice start.

2018: Kupp & Nance
2019: Beran
2020: Berry. (Could have been even better if not for the VT changeroo)

Hoping maybe in 2021 class we can see a breakthrough to the first 5 star kid. I think we have a couple realistic shots to get one- be tough, but I think we will actually be in the final conversations likely.

Reactions: RockfishCat
I know it’s tough, but I believe if folks are patient for a few more years Collins can get this program on solid ground. At least to the stage where we are a middle of the pack (with some higher finishes) Big 10 team and make some tourney appearances.

If you look at the last 3 years we have now seen 4 of the highest rated recruits in program history or at least the last 20 years. Sure sometimes those ratings don’t end up predicting reality for a kid’s college performance, but it’s a nice start.

2018: Kupp & Nance
2019: Beran
2020: Berry. (Could have been even better if not for the VT changeroo)

Hoping maybe in 2021 class we can see a breakthrough to the first 5 star kid. I think we have a couple realistic shots to get one- be tough, but I think we will actually be in the final conversations likely.
I agree. Next year imo will be rough. The board will be calling for heads. 20-21 looks like a rebound year.

Additionally, I would be absolutely stunned if NU lands either if the 2021 5 stars with NU connections. I think that is ok, CCC is bringing in very good recruits for visits. A couple more 4 stars work just fine and round out the group.

I agree. Next year imo will be rough. The board will be calling for heads. 20-21 looks like a rebound year.

Additionally, I would be absolutely stunned if NU lands either if the 2021 5 stars with NU connections. I think that is ok, CCC is bringing in very good recruits for visits. A couple more 4 stars work just fine and round out the group.
Agree here, PPD. Still holding out hope for Pat Baldwin II, The Sequel . . . but 5 star guys are never going going to occupy much space on our menu. If CCC can settle into delivering a fairly steady diet of, say, a pair of 4 stars in most classes - and it doesn't seem unreasonable that he can - it won't be long 'til we're regularly knocking on the door of the top half of the Big Ten. Tournament-wise, that's a solid place to reside.

If CCC can settle into delivering a fairly steady diet of, say, a pair of 4 stars in most classes - and it doesn't seem unreasonable that he can - it won't be long 'til we're regularly knocking on the door of the top half of the Big Ten. Tournament-wise, that's a solid place to reside.
Agree. But knocking on the door of the top half means consistently being in the 6-9 area. To me this is the realistic ceiling for NU. Which is fine with me.

Reactions: NURoseBowl
Pretty nice recovery from the kick in the berries when Bam flipped to Va Tech. Gotta give credit to CCC for addressing the need.

I know ratings are generally silly, but when Ty Berry enrolls, our roster will feature 4 of the 6 highest rated recruits (per Dennys) in our stunted history. And Nicholson, Jones, Buie, and Gaines would all be top 20.

Reactions: Titanium999
YAAAAAHHHHOOOOOO! We needed that!

Couldn't be happier to learn that the deciding factor was his relationship with the coaches and players. TB is an NU FIT! It's reassuring to see that CCC's sales presentation is being well received by top recruits.

Welcome to NU, TB.

Do not rest, recruiters! Get out there and close a few more!!!

Hot damn! He never misses!

On a slightly more serious note... what’s up with the multicolored and seemingly small basketballs?

I think the yellow ball may be weighted and the white ball is a standard ball. I'll see if I can find out.

And sorry to burst your bubble, but he does miss, LOL.

When's the last time we had a player who could take and make step-back 3's?? Exciting!!

Reactions: cwcorgi-ks
I think the yellow ball may be weighted and the white ball is a standard ball. I'll see if I can find out.

Pretty sure they're both training balls--yellow definitely seems like a heavy ball.

Years ago, when people crossed the Atlantic in dirigibles, we used to practice free throws with a yellow, weighted ball on a "Loyola hoop." The hoop was added on top of the regular hoop to cut down it's circumference a couple inches. The ball just fit inside the hoop.

The weighted ball, IIRC, was more helpful with dribbling than shooting.

Pretty sure they're both training balls--yellow definitely seems like a heavy ball.

I asked and all the balls were standard, including the yellow, white, blue, etc. Apparently that trainer has some sponsorship with the manufacturer of those balls. Not sure what brand.

I asked and all the balls were standard, including the yellow, white, blue, etc. Apparently that trainer has some sponsorship with the manufacturer of those balls. Not sure what brand.
That makes more sense. I couldn't really understand the benefit of working on step-back 3's with a weighted ball. I would think that would screw up your form. Underneath the basket, maybe I could see, but not from distance.

That makes more sense. I couldn't really understand the benefit of working on step-back 3's with a weighted ball. I would think that would screw up your form. Underneath the basket, maybe I could see, but not from distance.

Not an expert here, but my son's trainer does have him using the heavy ball to take 3s from at least the free throw line sometimes early in sessions.

I believe weighted balls are primarily used for ball handling and passing drills, with some occasional use right around the basket for finishing. In general, they shouldn't be used for shooting.

FYI, here's the ball manufacturer used in the video. You can own one for yourself for a cool $70.
https://seasoncreates.com/collections

YAAAAAHHHHOOOOOO! We needed that!

Couldn't be happier to learn that the deciding factor was his relationship with the coaches and players. TB is an NU FIT! It's reassuring to see that CCC's sales presentation is being well received by top recruits.

Welcome to NU, TB.

Do not rest, recruiters! Get out there and close a few more!!!
Who's next?

I believe weighted balls are primarily used for ball handling and passing drills, with some occasional use right around the basket for finishing. In general, they shouldn't be used for shooting.

FYI, here's the ball manufacturer used in the video. You can own one for yourself for a cool $70.
https://seasoncreates.com/collections

What's great is that first two minutes after you switch back to a regular ball...shots going over the backboard...pounded the ball on the dribble.

I also played with a guy who practiced 100% of the time with weighted shoes...only time he didn't wear them was in games.

https://n.rivals.com/news/elite-14-bossi-s-scouting-notes

"I'm actually quite sure that Northwestern could have used Berry on Friday night when they fell at home to Merrimack. He's done a tremendous job of adding strength in the weight room of Sunrise Christian, looked comfortable both on and off the ball and mixes deep jumpers with pull ups and drives to the rim nicely. Berry hit a lull with his game during the spring and has spent the last four or five months putting it all back together."

As someone who spent some of his formative years in Bel Aire (long before Sunrise Christian Academy was even there), I'm looking forward to watching this guy. Is Patrick Baldwin the last NU hoops recruit from Kansas? It's been a long time...

Reactions: cwcorgi-ks

Berry is #3, Kendall Brown is #10, Shaedon Sharpe is #23 and #11 is Kenny Pohto. They won their home opener last night handily.

Reactions: DaCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT