ADVERTISEMENT

Athletic center update

Deeringfish

Gold Member
Jun 23, 2008
I've been watching the camera on the site and I expect there will be a lot of activity and visual progress Friday and Saturday. There has been a ton of material delivered the last two days and they must expect to assemble much of it because it is blocking access to much of the site. The have been very judicious and organized with material deliveries up to this point.

http://www.northwestern.edu/fm/proj.../ryan-fieldhouse-walter-athletics-center.html

I live within short biking distance of the Fitz-Phillips Mahal construction site and ride-by to sate my curiosity as weather permits. It's been rainy regularly (every 2 days or so) as of late which suspends construction activity that requires lifting heavy items into place so little has really happened in that regard over the last 2-3 weeks. That said, it appears that the local weather is gonna cooperate with several days without precip. The on-site cam shows that the trucks arriving on-site today in the foreground seem to have delivered long-length steel I-beams, which means more internal skeletal work is imminent. I gotta say personally that ther athletic complex' blueprints are mind blowing but to see what's happening in person is downright I-M-P-R-E-S-S-I-V-E. Most assuredly, once completed, The Fitz-Phillips Mahal will become a game changer in the lives and time management profiles of all athletes of all sports at NU - especially regarding athletic support activity (read: highly accessible practice facilities, weight training, physical therapy venues and the like). And as for recruiting, its impact will be, to quote Turk, "Off The Chain." If I ever won a portion of a high-value powerball lottery, I'd opt to donate funds for an on-campus basketball venue so that increased game attendance support by students & faculty in the winter would become the norm in overall campus activity, rather than those interpid folks trudging the obligatory mile-plus in sub-zero weather to watch games. I'm simply delighted that this long-needed improvement is happening in my lifetime (which was a athletic dept. promise to me and my teammates during our recruitment in the eartly 70's).

I'm simply delighted that this long-needed improvement is happening in my lifetime (which was a athletic dept. promise to me and my teammates during our recruitment in the eartly 70's).

How could you want anything more than the "Turkish prison" weight room in the basement of Patton Gym? Or the dirt floor and medicine balls in McGaw Hall?

Glades... I shudder at the mental recall. How about that dead rat I saw lying next to the jerry-rigged railroad tie leg-press "machine." The AD promised that those Gawd-awful facilities were to be replacemed every year of my undergrad experience. When Alex left (for NU's rival, Perdue, of all places) after Strotz reneg'd on his agreed-to promises to upgrade facilities, I realized that there was gonna be a steep price to pay for the utter distain the NU powers-that-be had shown constantly to any NU athletic program at that time. The Dark Ages were born of that institutionally-driven abusive attitude toward intercollegiate sports.

Glades... I shudder at the mental recall. How about that dead rat I saw lying next to the jerry-rigged railroad tie leg-press "machine." The AD promised that those Gawd-awful facilities were to be replacemed every year of my undergrad experience. When Alex left (for NU's rival, Perdue, of all places) after Strotz reneg'd on his agreed-to promises to upgrade facilities, I realized that there was gonna be a steep price to pay for the utter distain the NU powers-that-be had shown constantly to any NU athletic program at that time. The Dark Ages were born of that institutionally-driven abusive attitude toward intercollegiate sports.
I think that rat carcass was still there by the time I got there in 1985. That medieval contraption was still there. At least it was painted purple. We would take turns sitting on top of the wood beam while the other guy pressed. Good times!

How about the "Friendly Bob Adams" steam room. I think it was a replica of the showers at Auschwitz. And the threadbare rugs in the locker room.

Minnesota was a dump, too. Ratty stadium with threadbare astroturf with patented "parking lot" softness.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Waterboy, how about getting your grays and finding out your socks had no elastic in them. They'd be inside your shoe by the time agility drill circuit was over. I'd take them back to Jimmy Progar or his assistant, "Toad", and point out that my socks had no elastic and he'd give me another elastic-challenged pair and call me a "piss ant". I'd bring pairs of my own socks just in case.

Waterboy, how about getting your grays and finding out your socks had no elastic in them. They'd be inside your shoe by the time agility drill circuit was over. I'd take them back to Jimmy Progar or his assistant, "Toad", and point out that my socks had no elastic and he'd give me another elastic-challenged pair and call me a "piss ant". I'd bring pairs of my own socks just in case.

When I ran cross country at NU, we'd get a gray T shirt and shorts in a mesh bag every day. They'd toss the mesh bags in the washer and dryer, but most of the time the stuff was still wet and skanky when you'd put it on. We dress in some pathetic locker room on a middle floor of Dyche with half a dozen bare light bulbs, half of which were out at any given time. Built character.

Reactions: Gladeskat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT