ADVERTISEMENT

Athlon - Anonymous coaches on NU

Like I said, I liked Dunbar a lot and was sorry to see him go I think when Fitz was named HC he felt slighted as he had been a HC at a Northern Iowa and here was a young guy with no experience put in front of him and felt he needed to move on. So he went to Cal as OC for a year and then came back to BIG at MINN as OC

Dunbar left while "Walk" was still alive. The season ended, Dunbar left for Cal and six months later tragedy stuck. Had he stayed he indeed probably would have been named HC (of course, we will never know for sure).

Reactions: hdhntr1
Dunbar left while "Walk" was still alive. The season ended, Dunbar left for Cal and six months later tragedy stuck. Had he stayed he indeed probably would have been named HC (of course, we will never know for sure).
Thanks Hard to remember all the details. He was a solid OC for us

Last edited:
Reactions: Eurocat
You win and lose as a team.

No one really has Os that Frosh or RS Frosh can walk into

You are so intent on giving McCall absolutely no credit for anything. You have to remember that coaches are extremely limited in amount of time they are able to be in contact. The finer points require a lot more time than they are allowed to spend with players. They can recommend things but reality is that the finer points which are often the difference take a lot more time than coaches are allowed. For all we know, McCall may have even recommended Baz
Oh I give him plenty of credit for the bottom tier offenses of suck that he consistently fielded.

The only place I would disagree was in his ability to manage the two QB system in 2012 . It was really the only time I can recall a true sharing of the QB position with both quarterbacks doing a great job. McCall manage to use both QBs effectively along with effective running with Venric Marks and Trumpy. Those were all his recruits and you have to give him credit for their development . I’m not saying things were perfect but he managed to use their talents effectively. I still remember the feeling of finally getting that bowl victory and the best part was sharing it with people on this board in the Jacksonville parking lot after the game against Mississippi State. It would be easy to look back on that 10 win season and feel like we should have done more but at the time it felt so impressive. That was the best balance we ever had with both offense and defense contributing. I think it set the standard of our expectation and really what we want as a base line (not the two QB position but the equal contribution of offense and defense that created a winning attitude).

While the 2012 O was one of McC's highlights (helped that it was probably the best O-line he had to work with), didn't always agree with his QB rotation, whether it was for a drive/drives or within a drive.

The biggest example of this was the dOSU game (the next season).

Siemian had led the Cats to retaking the lead in the 4th Q.

dOSU would proceed to score with their next possession and instead of keeping with the hot hand/what was working (the dOSU D was having more problems defending the pass)., went back to Colter, the drive stalled (the dOSU D knew that they just had to defend the run), effectively ending the game.

Good article on Kafka. Had no idea his mom's parents were Puerto Rican "immigrants."
I enjoyed your comments as well.
I can't agree with you that because Kafka worked with Basanez that McCall deserves no credit for Kafka's development.
The fact is that we had a pretty good run under McCall and that he gets at least some credit for every success.

Not saying that McC didn't deserve any credir, but don't you find it curious that there haven't been articles where Kafka and Persia are praising McC?

There have been numerous articles of the 2 effusively praising Baz, including one many years down the line.

Also, Thorson never attained the mastery of the position that Kafka and Persa did and he not only have 5 years in McC's system, but 4 as a starter (should have been the most developed passer the program has seen).

You win and lose as a team.

No one really has Os that Frosh or RS Frosh can walk into

You are so intent on giving McCall absolutely no credit for anything. You have to remember that coaches are extremely limited in amount of time they are able to be in contact. The finer points require a lot more time than they are allowed to spend with players. They can recommend things but reality is that the finer points which are often the difference take a lot more time than coaches are allowed. For all we know, McCall may have even recommended Baz

Yeah, tell that to the Iowa fan base...

What?

There are many examples of true and especially RS frosh coming in and making an impact in CFB.

For the Cats (aside from a few O-linemen and JJtBC), they were (not surprisingly) on D.

While the 2012 O was one of McC's highlights (helped that it was probably the best O-line he had to work with), didn't always agree with his QB rotation, whether it was for a drive/drives or within a drive.

dOSU would proceed to score with their next possession and instead of keeping with the hot hand/what was working (the dOSU D was having more problems defending the pass)., went back to Colter, the drive stalled (the dOSU D knew that they just had to defend the run), effectively ending the game.

Not saying that McC didn't deserve any credir, but don't you find it curious that there haven't been articles where Kafka and Persia are praising McC?

There have been numerous articles of the 2 effusively praising Baz, including one many years down the line.

Also, Thorson never attained the mastery of the position that Kafka and Persa did and he not only have 5 years in McC's system, but 4 as a starter (should have been the most developed passer the program has seen).

What?

There are many examples of true and especially RS frosh coming in and making an impact in CFB.

For the Cats (aside from a few O-linemen and JJtBC), they were (not surprisingly) on D.
We were talking about the QB position and college Os are not set up for a true frosh to walk into that position.

And pretty hard for any O to be effective is the OL is suspect. Reality is that for most of his career here OL was questionable.

Reactions: IGNORE2
We were talking about the QB position and college Os are not set up for a true frosh to walk into that position.

And pretty hard for any O to be effective is the OL is suspect. Reality is that for most of his career here OL was questionable.
A great OL makes it much easier to have a productive offense. I think the challenge Lujan will have as OC is using scheme and game plan to minimize the weakness of the line. The Cats’ greatest asset on offense this year appears to be speed at skill positions (Wright, Henning, Himon particularly). I’ll assume the Cats use a lot of motion and RPO to neutralize the advantage defenses will have at the line of scrimmage. I don’t think the offense will be great this year, but I’m hopeful it won’t be a complete disaster.

Reactions: hdhntr1

What?

D is more about athleticism and it is easier to make an earlier impact there based on that alone. That makes it easier and ore likely for a Frosh or RS Frosh to come in and make an impact. Certain positions such as MLB require more learning of the system because they are calling the D. Other positions require more physical development such as DL (similar to the physical development of OL) But still they have more opportunitis to make an impact as they also tend to have more guys getting an opportunity to play regularly becuase there tend to be multiple rotations. Example DL they tend to have rotations of 3 A, B, C where A gets 50-60%, B gets 30% and C gets 10% of plays.

Not the same in many areas on O. OL mostly only one team generally plays and subs are for people getting hurt,. QB same. Maybe at RB or reciever positons. there are multiple guys that get a chance to play but generally when they come in they have certain roles to play. What is true is that for the WR and TE (and even RB) to get on the field, they had to know blocking assignments and maybe that was more important for McCalls system

A great OL makes it much easier to have a productive offense. I think the challenge Lujan will have as OC is using scheme and game plan to minimize the weakness of the line. The Cats’ greatest asset on offense this year appears to be speed at skill positions (Wright, Henning, Himon particularly). I’ll assume the Cats use a lot of motion and RPO to neutralize the advantage defenses will have at the line of scrimmage. I don’t think the offense will be great this year, but I’m hopeful it won’t be a complete disaster.
Give me a solid OL and I will give you points.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT