ADVERTISEMENT

Available scholarships

Williesfan

Sep 24, 2009
the general consensus from what I understand is we have two available. With Ant entering the draft and the recent Park departure. Are there any more departures looming? How many scholarships are we looking to fill? Besides Ellis Brooks who are we seriously looking at that are a fit?

the general consensus from what I understand is we have two available. With Ant entering the draft and the recent Park departure. Are there any more departures looming? How many scholarships are we looking to fill? Besides Ellis Brooks who are we seriously looking at that are a fit?

I also wonder whether the estimates I have read on the board regarding scholarships available are taking into consideration the players who have been forced to retire for health reasons.

PS If JB Butler is not already on scholarship, please give him one immediately.

I have looked at this and assuming you deservedly put JB Butler on scholarship, we had 1 to give prior to Walker's departure and now have 2. This includes all of the announced and expected (Simba Short) retirements. I am not sure we'll use both unless a high caliber player decommits from another school. The only realistic uncommitted recruits we have offers out to are LB Ellis Brooks and OL Jax Wacaser. Brooks seems like possibility as he is making an official visit on the 13th although the competition is stiff (he is also visiting ND). Wacaser does not seem interested at all. Other than those guys we have to hope for a currently committed player to become available (Stueber from Michigan?) or a last minute offer to an under recruited player (LB David Moorman from Fenwick HS). My guess is that we pocket at least 1 if not both of those scholarships and look to use them for the class of 2018.

I have looked at this and assuming you deservedly put JB Butler on scholarship, we had 1 to give prior to Walker's departure and now have 2. This includes all of the announced and expected (Simba Short) retirements. I am not sure we'll use both unless a high caliber player decommits from another school. The only realistic uncommitted recruits we have offers out to are LB Ellis Brooks and OL Jax Wacaser. Brooks seems like possibility as he is making an official visit on the 13th although the competition is stiff (he is also visiting ND). Wacaser does not seem interested at all. Other than those guys we have to hope for a currently committed player to become available (Stueber from Michigan?) or a last minute offer to an under recruited player (LB David Moorman from Fenwick HS). My guess is that we pocket at least 1 if not both of those scholarships and look to use them for the class of 2018.

I agree with this. We have a relatively small schlorship pool for the class of 2018 and saving them is a good idea if we can't get a top player at a position of need.

I also wonder whether the estimates I have read on the board regarding scholarships available are taking into consideration the players who have been forced to retire for health reasons.

I thought he was now.

we could really use grad transfer receiver who is a proven talent. and we offer an attractive situation (qb and existing returning talent) for someone like that.

JB was recently awarded a scholarship according to his mom. I talked to her at the Yankee Tavern in NYC. I also learned that it now costs $72,000. a year to attend NU. A scholarship is a really big deal.

JB was recently awarded a scholarship according to his mom. I talked to her at the Yankee Tavern in NYC. I also learned that it now costs $72,000. a year to attend NU. A scholarship is a really big deal.

Good news and it makes sense. I am sure his scholarship kicks in for Winter quarter.

2 linebackers would be good. I'm a bit scared about our depth next year

2 linebackers would be good. I'm a bit scared about our depth next year

Assuming Igwebuike is back (and I was wrong on Walker), I anticipate a lot of packages with Igwebuike, Queiro, and McGee on the field at the same time in 2017.

Reactions: NUCat320
Assuming Igwebuike is back (and I was wrong on Walker), I anticipate a lot of packages with Igwebuike, Queiro, and McGee on the field at the same time in 2017.
Hate to lose Walker, bu have confidence that Hank will come up with something that works.

we could really use grad transfer receiver who is a proven talent. and we offer an attractive situation (qb and existing returning talent) for someone like that.
This would be a thoughtful and efficient use of a scholarship, provided it was used on a productive player and not just an unattached player. Whether NU goes that route - which could make a lot of sense - could be a good barometer of what they expect from Lees, Bowman, Fessler, etc.

Also, I've gotta think that the program was planning for Walker's departure, based on the lunch box campaign, his preseason prospect rankings, and his academic standing. It's truly a no-brainer for Ant to go pro.

Bates is one of the most respected coaches on our staff. I have confidence in his ability to get his unit ready. That being said, I won't have any less respect for him should his unit struggle to match the performance of this years group. Players matter.

Either Brooks and/or a lineman would help, though otherwise agree that Hank will work around who we have if we decide to keep the schollies for next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT