ADVERTISEMENT

Baldwin

Believe Turk over recruiting experts? I know he was right about Flat Earth and The Fake by the Lake, but he can't be right all the time.

True. I don't know how anyone can take something Turk says seriously.

Reactions: nickcat4
This Zion Williamson case is really blowing up right now with massive adverse consequences for Duke basketball. Duke or not, that is not a quagmire that I would want to stumble into as a freshman basketball player.

Given everything else going on, a kid might want to stay a little bit closer to home (but not TOO close - I'm not sure I would want my dad looking over my shoulder at all of the shenanigans I got up to in college...)

Who knows but it isnt Duke. It is a package deal as well and it seems to me that it will come down to NU or Wisconsin. Wisconsin will make the top 3 from what FB said.
definitely not Duke. I think Collins feels good about this but don't count out Wisconsin. I've actually looked at every recruiting site and it isn't set up this way, in fact Duke is #1. But it really doesn't seem to be the case that Duke will be in any top 3. In fact, imo, it will come down to Wisconsin and NU but I feel good about this one, although it is purple bias since it would be a serious letdown if he did in fact choose Wisconsin over us Purple people readers.

Reactions: cwcorgi-ks
definitely not Duke. I think Collins feels good about this but don't count out Wisconsin. I've actually looked at every recruiting site and it isn't set up this way, in fact Duke is #1. But it really doesn't seem to be the case that Duke will be in any top 3. In fact, imo, it will come down to Wisconsin and NU but I feel good about this one, although it is purple bias since it would be a serious letdown if he did in fact choose Wisconsin over us Purple people readers.
Went to the Duke board and they are saying that he is just being nice to put NU on his list and really has zero interest. Exact opposite of what you are saying Turk. This board even agrees that it is a longshot for him to come here.
What does Gladeskat science say?

Reactions: nickcat4

I choose to like NU's chances here, too. What a coup that would be!

We're a bit obsessed about Baldwin...a class of just Christie and Roper may be the best ever

Yes but I think if Baldwin commits there will be a domino effect and the remaining prospects we are in the running for(Christie, Bates, Adkins, Hunter and Bates) May commit quickly. Baldwin to me is the most important of the commits not because of his ranking but because of his skill set. A 6’10 player who can shoot, handle the ball and rebound. Pair him with Nance who has similar skills as well as Kopp and ball handlers such as Roper, Berry, boo and that has the makings of a top ten team

There is one angle that i have yet to see anyone discuss. One thing about athletes, and you can use Jordan as an example, is do they make the talent around them better.

Baldwin coming to NU would surely showcase that and in many respects make him even more valuable in the eyes of pro scouts and coaches.

Maybe I am focused on the players in the mid 80's and early 90's but it sure seems over the past thirty years, North Carolina players have been much better pro's than Duke players. North Carolina under Dean Smith had a system and you either played in that system and made everyone around you better or you didn't play.

Compared to Duke who had a player here and there make it in the Pros...Grant Hill, most of the Bobby Hurleys and Christian Laettner's were great college ball players but could not do it at the Pro level. let alone take their dominance in college and on that Duke team and transfer it to the NBA.

I don't disagree entirely with the jist of what you are saying, but to characterize Grant Hill as a "great ball player but could not do it at the pro level" is a bit unfair. The guy was a five time NBA all star.

There is one angle that i have yet to see anyone discuss. One thing about athletes, and you can use Jordan as an example, is do they make the talent around them better.

Baldwin coming to NU would surely showcase that and in many respects make him even more valuable in the eyes of pro scouts and coaches.

Maybe I am focused on the players in the mid 80's and early 90's but it sure seems over the past thirty years, North Carolina players have been much better pro's than Duke players. North Carolina under Dean Smith had a system and you either played in that system and made everyone around you better or you didn't play.

Compared to Duke who had a player here and there make it in the Pros...Grant Hill, most of the Bobby Hurleys and Christian Laettner's were great college ball players but could not do it at the Pro level. let alone take their dominance in college and on that Duke team and transfer it to the NBA.

Danny Ferry was "can't miss." He hung around, nothing to be ashamed of. But the gap between what was expected and what came to pass...not insignificant.

It is also a very different era from the 90s. A one-and-done’s head coach has relatively little influence, given they’ve got about six months with a kid.

I don't disagree entirely with the jist of what you are saying, but to characterize Grant Hill as a "great ball player but could not do it at the pro level" is a bit unfair. The guy was a five time NBA all star.
I said Grant was the exception. He did make it in the pros

That narrative slowly changed over the last 10 years, especially with Coach K embracing the one and done.

Zion Williamson, JJ Reddick, Kyrie Irving, Jayson Tatum, Elton Brand, Shane Battier, Brandon Ingram, Luol Dong, Justice Winslow to name a few.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
That narrative slowly changed over the last 10 years, especially with Coach K embracing the one and done.

Zion Williamson, JJ Reddick, Kyrie Irving, Jayson Tatum, Elton Brand, Shane Battier, Brandon Ingram, Luol Dong, Justice Winslow to name a few.
Time for NU to do the same.

Reactions: cwcorgi-ks

Yeah I think Duke has approximately double the number of current NBA players compared to UNC.

Reactions: hoosboot

Yeah, the UNC makes better pros argument is definitely a thirty years ago thing.

CURRENT UNC PROS:
CURRENT DUKE PROS:

Went to the Duke board and they are saying that he is just being nice to put NU on his list and really has zero interest. Exact opposite of what you are saying Turk. This board even agrees that it is a longshot for him to come here.
What does Gladeskat science say?
It doesn't matter what Glades says, his opinion is not supported by evidence. The Blue Fairy at the bottom of the garden is a reputable source. Don't count out Wisconsin but Collins has to feel good about this. It's coming down to Wisconsin and NU from what the fairy said. Again, I know the gurus are all saying Duke Duke Duke. NOT HAPPENING!

It doesn't matter what Glades says, his opinion is not supported by evidence. The Blue Fairy at the bottom of the garden is a reputable source. Don't count out Wisconsin but Collins has to feel good about this. It's coming down to Wisconsin and NU from what the fairy said. Again, I know the gurus are all saying Duke Duke Duke. NOT HAPPENING!
Hey just maybe it's Chris who's heading to Duke. You think?

I agree it matters for the players and the fan base. Is it that difficult of a bar to cross?

TOS has a nice interview update today. G-Town, NU, Duke and UNC standing out. Others mentioned including UWM. Talks about being a part of a Big 2021 NU class with Christie and a couple more.

GOUNUII

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
TOS has a nice interview update today. G-Town, NU, Duke and UNC standing out. Others mentioned including UWM. Talks about being a part of a Big 2021 NU class with Christie and a couple more.

GOUNUII
Sorry, but what is TOS?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT