ADVERTISEMENT

Barnhauser looked good in limited action yesterday

Serious question though... what took Collins so long to remove Nance, Young and Buie from the game?
Another player development opportunity wasted, in my opinion.
Very limited wasted opportunity , but I was pretty surprised to turn it back on under 3 mins and see #22 still in there.

Serious question though... what took Collins so long to remove Nance, Young and Buie from the game?
Another issue is that Barnhizer or Nicholson come into these games in garbage time, playing with each other and the likes of Roy Dixon. So even the 2 or 3 minutes don't give them any great experience on playing with and against normal competition. Give them 2-4 minutes at some point with 4 of our regulars and it will teach them more. And we will see more of what they are capable of.

The more I see Dixon, the more I wonder how he would do playing 10 minutes a game. He's not a bad ballplayer. Quick!

But then there's a reality that you can't outplay Greer for minutes.

We won by 18 not 36. And while we were doing well on D O was missing a lot. They need all the work they can get. 10 guys that will get significant playing time this year all got at least 10 minutes and no one more than 27. Plenty of development of guys that will be playing there. Guys that got less are likely not playing much this year

Another issue is that Barnhizer or Nicholson come into these games in garbage time, playing with each other and the likes of Roy Dixon. So even the 2 or 3 minutes don't give them any great experience on playing with and against normal competition. Give them 2-4 minutes at some point with 4 of our regulars and it will teach them more. And we will see more of what they are capable of.
While true, they got on the floor with the guys they are generally working with in practice. Likly to be more successful than suddenly putting them in with the ones

While true, they got on the floor with the guys they are generally working with in practice. Likly to be more successful than suddenly putting them in with the ones
I am 99% sure you were never a part of any serious organized basketball. That sentence is of someone with zero idea of what goes on in a practice.

Reactions: NUCat320
We won by 18 not 36. And while we were doing well on D O was missing a lot. They need all the work they can get. 10 guys that will get significant playing time this year all got at least 10 minutes and no one more than 27. Plenty of development of guys that will be playing there. Guys that got less are likely not playing much this year
Their guy was draining threes or we win by 25!

The more I see Dixon, the more I wonder how he would do playing 10 minutes a game. He's not a bad ballplayer. Quick!

But then there's a reality that you can't outplay Greer for minutes.
Greer doesn’t turn the ball 🏀 over much and plays excellent defense! I’m a big Boo and Chase fan! Those guys, along with Berry give us incredible depth!

Let ‘em both get adjusted to school!

Seriously. We're already playing 10 guys a fair amount of minutes. How much deeper do we have to get? Most teams don't play their bottom few guys much - even in blow-outs.

Reactions: hdhntr1
Seriously. We're already playing 10 guys a fair amount of minutes. How much deeper do we have to get? Most teams don't play their bottom few guys much - even in blow-outs.
I just don't understand why Buie, Nance and Young were playing with less than 4 minutes to go.
Anybody else was fine.
Just general sportsmanship and player development.
Unless we're betting on the game and trying to cover the 21, which we clearly weren't.

I just don't understand why Buie, Nance and Young were playing with less than 4 minutes to go.
Anybody else was fine.
Unless we're betting on the game and trying to cover the 21, which we clearly weren't.

None of our best players are sure bet superstars. They all can continue to improve substantially over the season. One could argue that given the importance of your veteran core to making the post-season in college, any PT they get creates the most value toward making the post-season.

Felt the same way. My best guess is that after a week off with DePaul looming, CCC felt the starters (channeling Turk) needed work.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Anybody else was fine.
There’s no player development in less than 4 min when the game is decided. It’s mainly a reward for hard work in practice and a morale booster for the team. As well as resting your starters. Development you get from playing in games is normally mental. You work on skills and athleticism in the off-season and practice. When the game is decided you aren’t gaining to much. Granted I’m all for the bench getting the min when the game is decided but that’s to rest the starters and prevent injuries.

NU runs deep this year. We have a strong bench even compared to B1G standards. We lack top end talent comparatively.

Reactions: GatoLouco
There’s no player development in less than 4 min when the game is decided. It’s mainly a reward for hard work in practice and a morale booster for the team. As well as resting your starters. Development you get from playing in games is normally mental. You work on skills and athleticism in the off-season and practice. When the game is decided you aren’t gaining to much. Granted I’m all for the bench getting the min when the game is decided but that’s to rest the starters and prevent injuries.

NU runs deep this year. We have a strong bench even compared to B1G standards. We lack top end talent comparatively.

I appreciate your opinion. I tend to assume that coaches know more than I do and while I certainly like to reward kids at the end of the bench, I do still think any court time for our core guys (particularly since we are going deep and splitting time) to gain confidence and chemistry, however limited, may be more important than rewarding guys at the end of the bench--as much as I'd like them to get it. Neither of us really know but I'll agree to disagree.

I appreciate your opinion. I tend to assume that coaches know more than I do and while I certainly like to reward kids at the end of the bench, I do still think any court time for our core guys (particularly since we are going deep and splitting time) to gain confidence and chemistry, however limited, may be more important than rewarding guys at the end of the bench--as much as I'd like them to get it. Neither of us really know but I'll agree to disagree.
When the game is decided you’re not building confidence chemistry or anything. Chemistry is built in practice and time together trusting one another to make plays. Not the final 4 min of a game you absolutely dominated.

The final few min of a decided game you won handily do next to nothing for development or confidence. At least in my experience.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT