ADVERTISEMENT

Benson transferring? Whoa!

I've mentioned this before on the BB forum and Corbi has said the same. It seems since Pat Baldwin has left, the program just isn't the same. Everyone talked about how The Allstate Arena was a big reason for last year's downturn and that was part of it, but IMHO, there was a huge disconnect last year within the team members and the manner which they were coached. While Pat is having a tough time at UW-Milwaukee, he bleeds Purple, much like Fitz. He is an excellent Coach and Recruiter, not a Slick Talker, a Genuine Gentleman. Privately I know, have known and dealt with our staff, other than Coach Dildy personally and on a professional basis in years past. My only comment is, I would much rather have Pat as my son's HC and representing NU. I also posted a couple weeks back before the transfers hit, how much this team reminded me of the Bill Foster transfer exodus, which saw Walters, Holmes, Nixon and Pedersen leave the program. I hope Dr. Phillips steps in and rights the ship soon.

If Gaines Turner Kopp or Nance leave ot Jones backs out you would have a comparable situation. Baldwin was not the only coach to leave and that impact on culture could be part of what is going on.

I

It hurts our program when there are multiple transfers like this. Having said that, none of these 3 were even average big ten players. The problem starts with Collins in his failure to recruit better, to a Big Ten type of player. No upper level Big team wanted any of these guys. And again while Fitz can take 3 stars and make them better, Collins shows no ability to develop.

Again, I think you are missing the point with this argument. When you look at the sum total of the transfers rather than individually, one can only conclude that this goes well beyond issues of playing time or the quality of player development. This can only be construed as a player revolt. They are voting with their feet.

Again, I think you are missing the point with this argument. When you look at the sum total of the transfers rather than individually, one can only conclude that this goes well beyond issues of playing time or the quality of player development. This can only be construed as a player revolt. They are voting with their feet.

I’m not going to call it a player revolt. I’m saying these 3 guys were not very good, wouldn’t play much next year on a team that will be awful, have one year left to play and want something more. The issue now is how do we recruit better, how do we convince quality Big players to come here?

Reactions: GOUNUII

Or Collins is cleaning house after a disappointing year.

Do we think Collins knew before today? Like he could’ve been surprised 2 weeks ago when he found out.

Do we think Collins knew before today? Like he could’ve been surprised 2 weeks ago when he found out.
Based on Lou’s reporting, I suspect Collins found out within two hours of us finding out.

If he had known, Benson would have been honored or somehow acknowledged.

Reactions: IGNORE
The quality of the player transferring is secondary to the fact that all these players are transferring within a short period of time. This wouldn’t be happening to this degree if all was peaches and cream inside the program.

You have 3 players all with their degrees who have one year of eligibility left. None of them have contributed much for a variety of reasons. And none of them project to be prime time players next year. In other words, they all find themselves in the same boat at the same time. On a team that must turn to rebuild mode by going young. I too am concerned. But the timing can be explained by the common “got my degree” and “last chance to play” factors .... knowing the latter isn’t going to happen here.

GOUNUII

Someone worried about CCC walking away. Where? Anybody here think he even makes the interview list for Duke when it’s time? Which program is about to open the purse strings after this recent showing?

I’m afraid we are married for a number of years. And now the CCC concerned chatter has started to appear beyond me.

Really hope he has a plan otherwise the next version of the time to go divide is going to really ratchet up.

Someone worried about CCC walking away. Where? Anybody here think he even makes the interview list for Duke when it’s time? Which program is about to open the purse strings after this recent showing?

I’m afraid we are married for a number of years. And now the CCC concerned chatter has started to appear beyond me.

Really hope he has a plan otherwise the next version of the time to go divide is going to really ratchet up.
Odds of Collins moving to a "better" power program? Slim and none. The bloom is definitely off that rose.

Reactions: julescat
If only the Admissions Office had.....

The problem is not Collins, it is NU. Do not be surprised to see Collins transfer. It is too much of an uphill fight.

Reactions: willycat

You may be right Corbi. But you may also be wrong. Can only be construed as a player revolt? That is over the top. See my other “reply” for an alternative theory.

Hoping you are wrong on this one.

GOUNUII

I've mentioned this before on the BB forum and Corbi has said the same. It seems since Pat Baldwin has left, the program just isn't the same. Everyone talked about how The Allstate Arena was a big reason for last year's downturn and that was part of it, but IMHO, there was a huge disconnect last year within the team members and the manner which they were coached. While Pat is having a tough time at UW-Milwaukee, he bleeds Purple, much like Fitz. He is an excellent Coach and Recruiter, not a Slick Talker, a Genuine Gentleman. Privately I know, have known and dealt with our staff, other than Coach Dildy personally and on a professional basis in years past. My only comment is, I would much rather have Pat as my son's HC and representing NU. I also posted a couple weeks back before the transfers hit, how much this team reminded me of the Bill Foster transfer exodus, which saw Walters, Holmes, Nixon and Pedersen leave the program. I hope Dr. Phillips steps in and rights the ship soon.
What are you suggesting DJP step in and do? We get you like Pat, seems like everyone does, but this seems that you are throwing the it all on CCC with that slick talking reference. He has Assistants too right?

My concern is the team got worse as the season progressed. That wasn’t due to injuries, so the staff owns it. However, that hasn’t been a trend in the CCC tenure. NU was bad at the beginning and end of last season.

NU is going to be bad next year. Might be fun to watch, but won’t win a lot. If DJP can’t get 100% behind CCC he needs to replace him. I have never met CCC or anyone else on the Coaching staff, so I have no idea what happens behind the curtain. IMO, CCC public perception is light years above our previous coach(s). He has got better recruits to come here and he rarely makes an ass of himself. Maybe it is the “slick talking”. Something needs to improve on the development front and fast. The football board attacks Assistants with regularity. It really doesn’t happen in BB. Not saying they are the issue as I have no idea what the individual responsibilities are, but if this was FB, the offensive coordinator would be history.

NU has to land at least 4 recruits in the next cycle. They can’t mess around in limbo or we’ll end up with tier 2 recruits. There is some explaining to do here if NU expects to attract better recruits. Who knows maybe everyone wants PB as the head coach. Wisc-Milwaukee’s season was a disaster, but there is PB Jr. who is the top recruit in 2021. NU is in on Max Christie who is number 8 and another kid from Indiana in the top 40. Unless they see some real upside in the growth of our 7 (hopefully) underclassman our changes go from slim to none with these 3.

Who among Walters, Holmes, Nixon and Pederson had earned an NU undergraduate degree?

yet BC was allowed to hang on for 13 years.

Yet people were unhappy about how Carmody ran the program ...

It was a different attitude toward the coach. There was also a long string of Carmody guys who mysteriously quit with eligibility remaining, but nobody said a peep.

Hell, he had to rely on a walk-on point guard for two years ... nothing.

Year after year of 11 and 12 scholarship players (which I agree with)? No problem there.

But now ...

It was a different attitude toward the coach. There was also a long string of Carmody guys who mysteriously quit with eligibility remaining, but nobody said a peep..
I remember Coble.

Who were the others? Just a question for clarification.....

You have 3 players all with their degrees who have one year of eligibility left. None of them have contributed much for a variety of reasons. And none of them project to be prime time players next year. In other words, they all find themselves in the same boat at the same time. On a team that must turn to rebuild mode by going young. I too am concerned. But the timing can be explained by the common “got my degree” and “last chance to play” factors .... knowing the latter isn’t going to happen here.

GOUNUII

Like I said, it could be one incredible coincidence. My gut and experience tell me otherwise especially when you consider how poorly things have gone on the court over the last two years and some other issues off the court prior to this year. This looks like a program whose coach has lost his team.

Reactions: drewjin
Like I said, it could be one incredible coincidence. My gut and experience tell me otherwise especially when you consider how poorly things have gone on the court over the last two years and some other issues off the court prior to this year. This looks like a program whose coach has lost his team.
What off the court issues? Please inform us.

You may be right Corbi. But you may also be wrong. Can only be construed as a player revolt? That is over the top. See my other “reply” for an alternative theory.

Hoping you are wrong on this one.

GOUNUII

You are right. Poor choice of words. There are other,more benign, possibilities that exist but my gut feel says something is terribly wrong.

Reactions: IGNORE
If only the Admissions Office had.....

The problem is not Collins, it is NU. Do not be surprised to see Collins transfer. It is too much of an uphill fight.

Not sure he wants to coach H.S. and I don’t think even Doug could get him nearly as rich a deal with Bulls. No way CCC leaves unless he agrees to a mutual parting. Then, maybe he ends up at a H.S.

yet BC was allowed to hang on for 13 years.

And this Board was a train wreck for a few years toward the end and afterwards with regular flashbacks to this day.

It will be interesting to see who takes which side and how it compares to the BC build up.

Previous transfers, Vassar debacle, Lathon recruitment.
Come on , you do know that the Lathon thing was not caused by Collins. Also Vassar was trouble from the get go. How many high schools did he attend?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT