ADVERTISEMENT

Benson transferring? Whoa!

It was a different attitude toward the coach. There was also a long string of Carmody guys who mysteriously quit with eligibility remaining, but nobody said a peep.

Hell, he had to rely on a walk-on point guard for two years ... nothing.

Year after year of 11 and 12 scholarship players (which I agree with)? No problem there.

But now ...

For me, I wasn’t really active at that point. More of a lurker.

Come on , you do know that the Lathon thing was not caused by Collins. Also Vassar was trouble from the get go. How many high schools did he attend?

No you don’t. Most recent revelation said it happened during his visit here. While Lathon is his own man, bad supervision and planning can take some credit too.

m
No you don’t. Most recent revelation said it happened during his visit here. While Lathon is his own man, bad supervision and planning can take some credit too.

i don't think the dismissal of lathon was wrong. i think it was the timing of it. per news articles lathon visited in janurary. also per news articles lathon was dismissed the last week of may. there is no recruiting (incoming frosh or grad transfer at that point)

I don’t but when u are recruiting a player you are not his babysitter. I do know what he did but unless he coordinated a Louisville scenario which likely would involve several players it seems highly improbable

m

i don't think the dismissal of lathon was wrong. i think it was the timing of it. per news articles lathon visited in janurary. also per news articles lathon was dismissed the last week of may. there is no recruiting (incoming frosh or grad transfer at that point)

Ok, when did the event occur? May? January?

I have to believe there was some course of action between the incident and the dismissal. Not some knee jerk reaction.

Come on , you do know that the Lathon thing was not caused by Collins. Also Vassar was trouble from the get go. How many high schools did he attend?

You could be right about Lathon but we just don’t know. Could Collins have avoided the whole situation or cut the cord earlier? Not sure.

I am less inclined to give Collins the benefit of the doubt on Vassar. For the very reasons you mentioned and the fact that he wasn’t a very good player, Collins should had never recruited him. What I found most upsetting was the reported handling of the player after it was determined the player was not a fit. Colllins tried to make life difficult on the kid to force him to transfer rather than let him stay in school. That is unacceptable from my perspective. I don’t want student athletes to be treated that way at NU.

You could be right about Lathon but we just don’t know. Could Collins have avoided the whole situation or cut the cord earlier? Not sure.

I am less inclined to give Collins the benefit of the doubt on Vassar. For the very reasons you mentioned and the fact that he wasn’t a very good player, Collins should had never recruited him. What I found most upsetting was the reported handling of the player after it was determined the player was not a fit. Colllins tried to make life difficult on the kid to force him to transfer rather than let him stay in school. That is unacceptable from my perspective. I don’t want student athletes to be treated that way at NU.
Although he has me on ignore, I would Super like this post if possible and give corbi a high five.

Ok, when did the event occur? May? January?

I have to believe there was some course of action between the incident and the dismissal. Not some knee jerk reaction.

the papers saw he visited in january and dimissed at the end of may

from a math standpoint that seems like 4.5 months after the visit - so it took 4.5 months to make a decision - at which point recruiting is over

agree.

hypothetical though (seriously - no info on this - looking for perspective) say a kid decides to leave. tells his teammates and coaches he wants out. explores his options and realizes there are no options up to his standards. then he has decision remorse and wants to come back. do you take him back with open arms? are you excited for that player in your program in which you are trying to build a winning culture? if the player not deemed a fit - at that point what do you do?

It was a different attitude toward the coach. There was also a long string of Carmody guys who mysteriously quit with eligibility remaining, but nobody said a peep.

Hell, he had to rely on a walk-on point guard for two years ... nothing.

Year after year of 11 and 12 scholarship players (which I agree with)? No problem there.

But now ...
I know. I didn’t mean to post that and didn’t finish my thought. My point was going to be players strongly disliked Carmody but he seemed to get more out of his players and we didn’t see the bizarre stuff we’re seeing now.

the papers saw he visited in january and dimissed at the end of may

from a math standpoint that seems like 4.5 months after the visit - so it took 4.5 months to make a decision - at which point recruiting is over

Then the kid had too much freedom on the visit, or the visit wasn’t properly structured, or the kid shouldn’t have been recruited.

I had a few revenue sport based officials in H.S. including one to USC. I got laid more than a couple times and drank on most of them. And I have heard stories of more and better officials than mine. If Lathon got in trouble on a visit and no other existing athlete got in trouble then there was a problem.

I was always ‘in the company’ of a coach or athlete.

agree.

hypothetical though (seriously - no info on this - looking for perspective) say a kid decides to leave. tells his teammates and coaches he wants out. explores his options and realizes there are no options up to his standards. then he has decision remorse and wants to come back. do you take him back with open arms? are you excited for that player in your program in which you are trying to build a winning culture? if the player not deemed a fit - at that point what do you do?

Nope, maybe not. Maybe keep him as a practice player. If he really develops, maybe play him. But I would not run him off. That entire episode is a black eye.

Then the kid had too much freedom on the visit, or the visit wasn’t properly structured, or the kid shouldn’t have been recruited.

I had a few revenue sport based officials in H.S. including one to USC. I got laid more than a couple times and drank on most of them. And I have heard stories of more and better officials than mine. If Lathon got in trouble on a visit and no other existing athlete got in trouble then there was a problem.

I was always ‘in the company’ of a coach or athlete.

i think if there was something done at such a level to require dismissal it shouldn't have taken almost 5 months - should have been pretty obvious - right?

i think if there was something done at such a level to require dismissal it shouldn't have taken almost 5 months - should have been pretty obvious - right?

I don’t know and am choosing not to put money on it. You tell me. When did the event occur? There was one report that it happened on his visit.

And you would make him clean toilets. Hi Chris. Thanks for joining us. Nice user name.

His username (I believe) is a nod to a 2003 newspaper article in Charleston that published that gag name without realizing they’d been duped.

Reactions: IGNORE
I remember Coble.

Who were the others? Just a question for clarification.....

A reasonable question.

And let me clarify that I'm not trying to start Collins-Carmody comparison. Collins stands on his own at this point. I'm just shooting for a little consistency in our evaluation.

We'll ignore the KO recruits who transferred. It happens with every transition.

Soltau
Parker
Maley
In the gotcha discussion of 2019, people would add Brandon Lee to the list, but we know he doesn't count.
Mike Thompson
Cote
Gary Lee
Melchoir
Coble
Baran
Rowley

BTW, Soltau, Parker and Maley are three of the first seven Carmody recruits (VV, Davor, Hachad and Seacat) in two classes. Not a peep.

Yup, just found it. He is graduating early. No way he wouldn’t be used. Unknown true frosh and RS frosh is all that’s left. Unless to play yet another player out of position in Nance. Benson was expected to be the starter.

So all you that called me chicken little and hater and such, what are you thinking now? Suspect it will be pretty quiet around here.

Down to nine schollie players and hoping no more shoes left to fall. (Turner or a decommit)
Don't you worry your little head aboit it Bob. You can be confident that we're thinking about your posts here the same way we always do...

One more addition ...

Let's get this a little more in the comparison of Collins first 11 recruits.

Six of the first 13 Carmody recruits left before completing their four years of eligibility. Of those six, you have a total of 10 years in the program - a grand total of eight years actually on the court.

But now we have huge hyperbolic questions about the direction with six guys who actually spent 16 years total in the program.

I'm not saying questions shouldn't asked at all. But I do disagree with the characterization of an exodus for three guys who have spent 11 seasons total in the program.

Reactions: Max_Power

How do you feel about BB or FB player employees of the university?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT