Reactions: eastbaycat99
Even though JJ is going to break all the records I would still rank him #3

Here are my rankings:

1. Damien Anderson
2. Darnell Autry
3. Justin Jackson
4. Tyrell Sutton
5. Jason Wright

If you move Anderson from No. 1 to No. 5, I would agree with this list. I think DA2 benefited greatly from the fact that defenses didn't know how to handle the new spread. He had good speed, but was not a particularly gifted RB, IMHO.

I think once again JJ is being underestimated. What he has done behind some very pedestrian OLs and mediocre passing games is really unbelievable. He is at the top on my opinion. Let's enjoy him while we have him because he will be very hard to replace.

I think once again JJ is being underestimated. What he has done behind some very pedestrian OLs and mediocre passing games is really unbelievable. He is at the top on my opinion. Let's enjoy him while we have him because he will be very hard to replace.

Agreed. He will not be a Heisman finalist like DA1/DA2 (though he has 1 more year to prove me wrong!) but if he keeps pace with previous seasons he will have been more impressively productive for NU than any other back I've ever known. Four years of consistent, solid productivity, making guys miss (footwork seems to be better than most on that list) earning hundreds of yards after contact in the backfield that are not in the books, protecting the ball, taking the blows of 25-30 carries per game without significant injury. No one else has done that. DA1 had 2 years and he was out. DA2 had 2 good years of starting, I think. Sutton comes close but I think had some injuries too. Wright and Herron were great but were able to benefit from each other sharing the load.

If you move Anderson from No. 1 to No. 5, I would agree with this list. I think DA2 benefited greatly from the fact that defenses didn't know how to handle the new spread. He had good speed, but was not a particularly gifted RB, IMHO.

I disagree. Anderson was the most talented back to come through these parts during my time following the team, and had he come out a year earlier he would have been a very high draft pick.

1. Darnell
2. Justin
3. Wright
4. Sutton
5. Anderson
Wright is definitely #5 in the group, and I think I actually rank him behind Herron. Herron and Wright formed a spectacular one-two punch, but Herron has the edge in that he wore #33 and had 33 carries when NU beat Ohio State for the first time in 33 years. (I think I got those numbers right.) Sports is about moments, and I'm not sure there was a better moment between 54-51 and the Gator Bowl.

Herron's stats and Wright's stats are incredibly similar, and perhaps preview what JJ and Moten will do in 2017.

1. Autry
2. JJ
3. Sutton
4. DA2
5. Herron
6. Wright

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jason-wright-1.html

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/noah-herron-1.html

Last edited:
Mike Adamle was from a different offensive era. A lot of ground and pound in those days and he was very good at it. At Wisconsin in 1970, we get the ball up 3 pts with 5:00 left. Everybody in the stadium knows it will Adamle left, Adamle right, Adamle up the middle and yet Mike carried the ball seven straight times for 80-plus yards, the last 44 on a TD run and we win 24-14. That's why he won the silver football (BIG TEN MVP) that year even though we finished second in the conference.

I disagree. Anderson was the most talented back to come through these parts during my time following the team, and had he come out a year earlier he would have been a very high draft pick.
To my recollection, Anderson often was able to reach the second level untouched because defenses were entirely on their heels and had not figured out yet how to defend the spread. Anderson was not elusive, had bad hands as a receiver, and was not effective at breaking tackles. He did have another gear to kick into when he got to the second level, and he was able to rack up some big yards as a result. He was definitely a very effective runner for the offense at the time--and the best "big play" RB we have had. But his skillset was pretty limited.

By contrast, JJTBC lacks top-end speed, but has every other tool in the RB toolkit. He just does everything so well. Great vision. Tough. Can fake a guy out of his jockstrap. Finishes runs in the trenches. Grinds out that extra half yard when you really need it. Good receiver. Total package. Sutton and Wright had similar skill sets, IMHO, but JJTBC is better. I listed Autry first because he was so patient and had a unique ability to read the field, wait for blocks to develop, and then follow them. He was so effortless.

All great backs.

Not even close. Would take Mark over him frankly. Had one good season, showing little at all in 98, 99 and 01. I know he was injured in 01, but look as his ypc in each season. Only in 2000 was he over 4 ypc. He was not ellusive and went down easily, with few if any yards after contact. Only in 2000, when a brand new offense nobody had seen before came on the scene, did he excel. That year, his backup, Kevin Lawrence also averaged close to 5 yards per carry, which was better than any other year of Anderson's career. Anderson was the beneficiary of a terrific scheme. That's all.

In 2000, the offense created huge mismatches, with teams having to put nickel and dime packages on the field, creating huge gaps Anderson's straight ahead speed excelled at exploiting. But that was all he had. He didn't evade tacklers or run through arm tackles. Without a huge hole, he did nothing. And as soon as teams learned to defend that scheme, he was back to his mediocre ways in 01, prior to his injury, as he'd shown in 98 AND 99.

Reactions: Gladeskat
Agreed. He will not be a Heisman finalist like DA1/DA2 (though he has 1 more year to prove me wrong!) but if he keeps pace with previous seasons he will have been more impressively productive for NU than any other back I've ever known. Four years of consistent, solid productivity, making guys miss (footwork seems to be better than most on that list) earning hundreds of yards after contact in the backfield that are not in the books, protecting the ball, taking the blows of 25-30 carries per game without significant injury. No one else has done that. DA1 had 2 years and he was out. DA2 had 2 good years of starting, I think. Sutton comes close but I think had some injuries too. Wright and Herron were great but were able to benefit from each other sharing the load.
What do we value here? Is one spectacular year worth more than four very good years? Is Kafka ahead of Baz?

I think JJTBC is taken for granted like many did with Baz, only to have people say WTF just happened when they leave. JJTBC is an amazing back in so many ways, often carrying the entire team on his back. He is the 2010 Dan Persa of RBs.

A side note about DA2. No way I could find the reference, but I remember Walk saying his 99 year was more impressive than his Y2k year. So he wasn't a "one hit wonder"

Mike Adamle was the only Northwestern grad to ever be the General Manager of Monday Night RAW. Thus, he should be number one. I move Mike Trumpy to number two.
A propos of nothing, one of the funniest wrassling stories I heard involved Dale Torborg, son of former Sox manager Jeff. Dale played baseball at NU, and started a minor league career when an errant pitch shattered his orbital bone, ending his baseball career.

Dale was a big dude, so he turned to professional wrasslin after a chance meeting with Hulk Hogan. Torborg starred as many personas, including "The Demon"
WCW-Press-Photo.jpg

After Torborg's grappling career ended, his joined his father in the Marlins organization as a fitness trainer.

Enter Antonio Alfonseca, the former Cub who was trying to catch on with the Marlins. Alfonseca always had a huge pot belly to go with his six fingers. In camp, Torberg asked Alfonseca to weigh in, and Alfonseca refused. Tensions escalated. Alftonseca then learned that Torborg was "The Demon" from wrestling, at which point he locked himself in Torborg's office out of mortal fear. Or so the story goes.

The thought of a 6'5" 250 pound Domincan man with six fingers cowering in fear of The Demon is just too rich to ignore.

Here is a Trib story on Torborg.

A side note about DA2. No way I could find the reference, but I remember Walk saying his 99 year was more impressive than his Y2k year. So he wasn't a "one hit wonder"
DA2 had 1,128 yards with only 3.7 ypc and 3 TDs in 1999. He then had 2,063 yards with 6.6 ypc and 23 TDs in the new spread offense in 2000. He got a lot of carries in 1999, but his numbers were not that impressive.

Reactions: DarthCat

Here are my rankings:

1. Damien Anderson
2. Darnell Autry
3. Justin Jackson
4. Tyrell Sutton
5. Jason Wright

Looks about right to me.

DA2 had 1,128 yards with only 3.7 ypc and 3 TDs in 1999. He then had 2,063 yards with 6.6 ypc and 23 TDs in the new spread offense in 2000. He got a lot of carries in 1999, but his numbers were not that impressive.
Yeah pretty sure Walk was referring to the point that he (DA2) had nothing to work with in 99, whilst y2k was a free for all.

Sort of why I think JJTBC is the best. What he did in 2015 was remarkable. We had no other offense except him

For what it's worth, DA2 finished fifth in Heisman voting in 2000. I'm 99% sure that he did not get an invite to New York for the ceremony, though I wasn't able to verify that through two minutes of Googling.

Yeah pretty sure Walk was referring to the point that he (DA2) had nothing to work with in 99, whilst y2k was a free for all.

Sort of why I think JJTBC is the best. What he did in 2015 was remarkable. We had no other offense except him

I get what you're saying, but not sure it says a whole lot given that our 2015 offense was just about the worst offense I've ever seen at NU. Worse than 1999 even.

Here are my rankings:

1. Damien Anderson
2. Darnell Autry
3. Justin Jackson
4. Tyrell Sutton
5. Jason Wright

You should amend the title of this list to "The Best RB since 1995." Because that's what it really is. There are few that saw Mike Adamle, and much, much fewer who watched Ron Burton.

And the Pinstripe Bowl sealed the deal for me: Jackson is No. 1.

You should amend the title of this list to "The Best RB since 1995." Because that's what it really is. There are few that saw Mike Adamle, and much, much fewer who watched Ron Burton.

For reference, in one of the dark ages years, we had a guy lead the team with like 165 rushing yards. Ironically named Jim Browne (sic)

I get what you're saying, but not sure it says a whole lot given that our 2015 offense was just about the worst offense I've ever seen at NU. Worse than 1999 even.
In the back of my mind is the question of whether an RB should be able to create something, anything, in debacles like ISU or during the Mich/Iowa stompings of 2015. Perhaps it is hypocritical to say he is not responsible for lousy blocking but then laud the guy if he does well (presumably behind better blocking). I guess I've seen very few, if any, backs than can create if they are being hit in the backfield. Like the Louisville QB in their bowl.

Anyway, I think he and DA1 were indispensable to their respective teams. And perhaps the best is yet to come (knock wood)

Love Jackson but have to remember we rode Autry to the RB. Adamle was a different era when passing game was no where near as important as today in the BIG. A couple years with JJ we have had descent passing games. Much better than what Autry or Adamle (Adamle could also only play for 3 years per rules at the time and Autry only spent 3 years here) had. Anderson, while he had a spectacular year, it was behind one of our best OL and he had a gimicky O to work with. Just have to look at the whole package.

Let's just say they were all great RBs for us.

Mike Adamle was from a different offensive era. A lot of ground and pound in those days and he was very good at it. At Wisconsin in 1970, we get the ball up 3 pts with 5:00 left. Everybody in the stadium knows it will Adamle left, Adamle right, Adamle up the middle and yet Mike carried the ball seven straight times for 80-plus yards, the last 44 on a TD run and we win 24-14. That's why he won the silver football (BIG TEN MVP) that year even though we finished second in the conference.

That was also the game where there was a key fumble by us which was recovered by Wisky but Mike bit the Wisky player in the nuts and he coughed up the ball. Possession NU! (True story, from the horse's mouth).

Do you think he even knows who Mike Adamle was?
Since he is a Chicago area sportscaster, he might know who he is but still not appreciate how valuable he was to NU in 1970 And his 1000 yd season was in fewer games. Also for years Adamle held the record for rushing yds in a game with over 300 against MN I believe.

Somwhere in the Top 5 I would have to include Byron Sanders.

I remember my Sophmore (Sanders Junior) year staying inside to watch the game on TV (this was back in the 80s when few games were on TV so it was kind of a unique thing to do plus it was absolutely pouring rain) and he just cut through Minnesota like a hot knife. Wowza.

Oh if he had only stayed for his senior year instead of trying to go pro because his brother won the Heisman!

Last edited:
Since he is a Chicago area sportscaster, he might know who he is but still not appreciate how valuable he was to NU in 1970 And his 1000 yd season was in fewer games. Also for years Adamle held the record for rushing yds in a game with over 300 against MN I believe.

His rushing record was set against Wisconsin. I was at the game.

Adamle STILL has the record: 316 yards vs. Wisconsin in 1969. No. 2 on that list is Sanders, with 295 vs. Minnesota in 1987.

Adamle and Christian - both were aways back and many of the people on this list don't really know them. Both, I think, would be phenomenal if they played now with the talent we have.

Reactions: StreamCat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT