ADVERTISEMENT

Best RB ever to wear the Purple

Adamle and Christian - both were aways back and many of the people on this list don't really know them. Both, I think, would be phenomenal if they played now with the talent we have.
I don't know. I think they're both probably a step or two slower than their primes.

1. Darnell Autry (always got 100+, scored regularly despite every defense knowing to key on him).
2. Justin Jackson (could surpass depending on results)
3. Damien Anderson
4. Tyrell Sutton
5. Noah Herron

Saw Christian who was good, but did not see Adamle.

Pug Rentner! AA and my favorite Wildcat name of all time.

A propos of nothing, one of the funniest wrassling stories I heard involved Dale Torborg, son of former Sox manager Jeff. Dale played baseball at NU, and started a minor league career when an errant pitch shattered his orbital bone, ending his baseball career.

Dale was a big dude, so he turned to professional wrasslin after a chance meeting with Hulk Hogan. Torborg starred as many personas, including "The Demon"
WCW-Press-Photo.jpg

After Torborg's grappling career ended, his joined his father in the Marlins organization as a fitness trainer.

Enter Antonio Alfonseca, the former Cub who was trying to catch on with the Marlins. Alfonseca always had a huge pot belly to go with his six fingers. In camp, Torberg asked Alfonseca to weigh in, and Alfonseca refused. Tensions escalated. Alftonseca then learned that Torborg was "The Demon" from wrestling, at which point he locked himself in Torborg's office out of mortal fear. Or so the story goes.

The thought of a 6'5" 250 pound Domincan man with six fingers cowering in fear of The Demon is just too rich to ignore.

Here is a Trib story on Torborg.

This Marlins fan would like to point out that Alfonseca, lovingly known as El Pulpo for his extra digit, came up through our system and had his most prolific seasons in teal, at least if you go purely by counting saves. He was a former Marlin when he became a Cub, not the other way around.

Dale Torborg was indeed a huge dude who I remember strutting around the diamond pregame, so I guess he never lost the showmanship. Your story does ring a bell from those years, though I had no idea of the NU connection. He moved on when his father was fired after a slow start in 2003. We brought Jack McKeon on board and the rest is history. Ah, 2003, those halcyon days.

This Marlins fan would like to point out that Alfonseca, lovingly known as El Pulpo for his extra digit, came up through our system and had his most prolific seasons in teal, at least if you go purely by counting saves. He was a former Marlin when he became a Cub, not the other way around.

Dale Torborg was indeed a huge dude who I remember strutting around the diamond pregame, so I guess he never lost the showmanship. Your story does ring a bell from those years, though I had no idea of the NU connection. He moved on when his father was fired after a slow start in 2003. We brought Jack McKeon on board and the rest is history. Ah, 2003, those halcyon days.

As another Marlins fan, they were concerned about Alfonseca's weight and wanted Torborg to help get him in better shape. Not too long after their confrontation, Torborg's father was promoted, Alfonseca was traded, and a lot of folks thought his issues with Torborg Jr was a major factor.

Also, El Pulpo ( the octopus) has an extra finger on each hand AND an extra toe on each foot, twelve fingers, twelve toes. One of my favorite lines was in a post game interview with the manager, fairly sure it was Jim Leyland, when he said that Alfonseco came into the dugout after a good outing and gave him a "high six".

A couple of other very good backs that have been omitted are Ron Rector and Woodie Campbell. They provided a dynamic duo in 1965.
Rector was drafted by the World Champion Packers, made the team and was tragically killed in a motor vehicle accident before the season started. Rector was truly a big back with speed

Woodie Campbell played many years with the Houston Oilers in the old AFL and NFL

As another Marlins fan, they were concerned about Alfonseca's weight and wanted Torborg to help get him in better shape. Not too long after their confrontation, Torborg's father was promoted, Alfonseca was traded, and a lot of folks thought his issues with Torborg Jr was a major factor.

Also, El Pulpo ( the octopus) has an extra finger on each hand AND an extra toe on each foot, twelve fingers, twelve toes. One of my favorite lines was in a post game interview with the manager, fairly sure it was Jim Leyland, when he said that Alfonseco came into the dugout after a good outing and gave him a "high six".

My favorite Alfonseca line: Shortly after he was signed by the Cubs, Jesse Rogers of The Score in Chicago seriously asked Alfonseca the following question about his sixth finger: "So, were you born like that?"

1. Darnell Autry (always got 100+, scored regularly despite every defense knowing to key on him).
2. Justin Jackson (could surpass depending on results)
3. Damien Anderson
4. Tyrell Sutton
5. Noah Herron

Saw Christian who was good, but did not see Adamle.
Like your list and still think that Darnell has to be #1 in the hearts of NU fans. Rose Bowl! Also a real nice person, as was his entire family.

Trivia: in the magical 1995 season, Darnell Autry broke the NU single season rushing record against Penn State. Whose record did he break? No googling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT