ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 votes to add BYU, Houston, Cincy, and UCF

FeralFelidae

Sep 1, 2003
If the Big 12 adds a Florida team, why not the Big 10? Think of all the TVs in Florida.

BYU has always been a major player (in terms of facilities and fan support), but no power conference ever wanted to take them until the Big 12 had no choice.

Looks like Northwestern may at some future point now end up with a Bowl Game against another Utah based football team. ( HailtoPurple.com currently has NU projected to play a Big 12 opponent for this year's bowl game.)

Looks like Northwestern may at some future point now end up with a Bowl Game against another Utah based football team. ( HailtoPurple.com currently has NU projected to play a Big 12 opponent for this year's bowl game.)
I've said it before, but BYU is always a great opponent, and I would love for NU to play them.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
I've said it before, but BYU is always a great opponent, and I would love for NU to play them.

The NCAA games opened my big-city elitist eyes to the state of Utah. It actually is a cool place to visit! But my guess is NU would not want even the small chance of a protest about BYU's history of anti-LGBT discrimination, which is what helped keep them out of the Big 12 for a long time.

Surprised UConn didn’t get consideration. I know their football program is a train wreck, but still. UConn is the flagship university of Connecticut.

Surprised UConn didn’t get consideration. I know their football program is a train wreck, but still. UConn is the flagship university of Connecticut.
Football is the driver for this. UConn wishes they didn't have a football team. TheC outright said as much.

If the Big 12 adds a Florida team, why not the Big 10? Think of all the TVs in Florida.

BYU has always been a major player (in terms of facilities and fan support), but no power conference ever wanted to take them until the Big 12 had no choice.
FSU (and maybe Miami) are the only 2 schools the Big Ten would consider from Florida.

But it's tough because the school we'd really want (UF) is never going to be available.

Yet people were clamoring to add Kansas!! After the Texas/OU announcement
Anybody calling for Kansas just didn't understand how the money works.

The only available schools that expand the financial pot for the Big Ten are on the coasts (as well as ND).

FSU (and maybe Miami) are the only 2 schools the Big Ten would consider from Florida.

But it's tough because the school we'd really want (UF) is never going to be available.

Taking FSU academic-wise becomes more tolerable if also get the flagship schools in VA and NC (plus, not a good thing to leave a school out on an island by itself).

Taking FSU academic-wise becomes more tolerable if also get the flagship schools in VA and NC (plus, not a good thing to leave a school out on an island by itself).
Yes, I think we'd end up taking all 4 of the AAU southern quad: UNC/UVa/Ga Tech/Duke.

I don't have the quote on hand, but it was discussed the last time around and Gordon Gee made it public after he stepped down as head of Ohio State.

That was the original plan if more of the AAUs wanted to leave the ACC.

I think we'd need some football oomph with them though so you'd need ND and either FSU or Miami.

I'm more bullish on Clemson in being part of the package than you are.

GT is the one that's up in the air for me, but think having a presence in Atlanta (even if it is UGA country), which has already has a good # of B1G alums, may end up being the ticket for Tech.

I'm more bullish on Clemson in being part of the package than you are.

GT is the one that's up in the air for me, but think having a presence in Atlanta (even if it is UGA country), which has already has a good # of B1G alums, may end up being the ticket for Tech.
Yeah I just can't see Clemson getting invited unless they do something crazy like winning a dozen national championships in the next 20 years and become another Notre Dame like brand or something.

They just don't fit the profile.

I can see the argument for Clemson over say Miami but not Florida State.

Main reason is just I always look at the profile of a school without current coach. Look at Virginia Tech post-Beamer; they're nothing special anymore.

Clemson's a bit different because they are performing at an even higher level than that, and really building their brand, but FSU is still the #2 Florida school, and that will always trump Clemson in some respect.

And I highly doubt we're adding more than 1 non-AAU other than ND. So if it has to be FSU or Clemson, it's going to be FSU.

^ Agree that FSU > Clemson due to recruiting.

But if Clemson continues to be the ACC rep in the POs (more so than not) over the next decade and a half, would be tough to pass on them.

^ Agree that FSU > Clemson due to recruiting.

But if Clemson continues to be the ACC rep in the POs (more so than not) over the next decade and a half, would be tough to pass on them.
Yeah, the tough thing is just... what is Clemson without Dabo?

It's just not anything like what it is now.

Of course, Dabo is only 51 and he could be there another 20 years. So maybe that has to be accounted for, and he's going to probably leave that place way better off than it was before him.

LSU became a national brand, same thing can happen with Clemson.

Just recruiting wise, Clemson's never going to be on the same level as the SEC powers or FSU. That's the tough thing with Clemson.

I can see the argument for sure for Clemson, just not sure it's ever going to fit the Big Ten.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT