ADVERTISEMENT

Big developements on the recruiting front

Illinois got a highly rated recruit, a center prospect. NU did not pursue him at all. That indicates that there is a distinct possibility that he might not have been able to be admitted to NU ...

Or we felt better about our current guys and other center recruits that we're pursuing. Or maybe the coaches just didn't like something about him. I don't think that we should be so quick to assume a kid's grades are bad. Give credit to U of I for getting a commitment from a highly regarded player.

Reactions: all4theillini
Illinois got a highly rated recruit, a center prospect. NU did not pursue him at all. That indicates that there is a distinct possibility that he might not have been able to be admitted to NU since NU is going hard for his AAU teammate Jordan Goodwin. Also, if the Illini does not make the tourney in 2016 there is a strong possibility that John Groce is not there in 2017 with a new AD there.

As for NU's recruiting, NU is still fighting for Goodwin. His decision comes down to in my opinion, if he wants to be the fifth guy at 6'3" SG at Illinois and ride the pines for his first two years or more or if he wants to go to NU where he has a good chance at minutes from year 1. At least Collins is getting to the plate and he has a strong staff to have options.

As for questions about who is at the PG, SG and SF position next year since some are confused, here it is:
PG: 1. MacIntosh, 2. Brown, 3. Ash
SG: 1. Lindsey, 2. Law, 3/4. Ash/Brown 5. Lumpkin (at 6'5" his natural position based on his size)
SF: 1. Law, 2. Rapolas/Lumpkin, 3/4. Lumpkin/Tap

Good mixture of youth, athleticism and some veterans.

Goodwin will play big minutes from day one at Illinois. He is that good.

Tilmon does not have grade issues. If he did, Illinois has tougher entrance standards than most of the BT. MSU or Iowa would be easier to get into for a lesser student. MSU has a program for borderline students that gets them a lot of recruits that cannot get into other BT schools. NU likely did not recruit Tilmon because he was a long shot. He came down to Illinois, Kansas, North Carolina, Texas. It may make no difference, but Goodwin is his best friend. I worry most about MSU with him.

Tilmon does not have grade issues. If he did, Illinois has tougher entrance standards than most of the BT. MSU or Iowa would be easier to get into for a lesser student. MSU has a program for borderline students that gets them a lot of recruits that cannot get into other BT schools. NU likely did not recruit Tilmon because he was a long shot. He came down to Illinois, Kansas, North Carolina, Texas. It may make no difference, but Goodwin is his best friend. I worry most about MSU with him.

Though I suppose "one more core class" is technically more restrictive than most B1G/P5 schools, can we please stop making out UIUC and its admissions requirements as remotely in the same range as NU's?

Though I suppose "one more core class" is technically more restrictive than most B1G/P5 schools, can we please stop making out UIUC and its admissions requirements as remotely in the same range as NU's?

Amen! Fact is, Tilmon might have easily gotten into Illinois with his additional core course without having any chance at getting into NU.

Off of my high school team, 5 of my teammates were recruited and signed by Illinois (I was recruited by UI as well but not offered) but they didn't have any chance of getting past admissions at NU so they were completely ignored, even though they were generally more heralded players. Wisconsin went after only two of the 6 (myself included). Translation: academic requirements: NU >> UW =/> UI.

Off of my high school team, 5 of my teammates were recruited and signed by Illinois (I was recruited by UI as well but not offered) but they didn't have any chance of getting past admissions at NU so they were completely ignored, even though they were generally more heralded players. Wisconsin went after only two of the 6 (myself included). Translation: academic requirements: NU >> UW =/> UI.

When was that? 40 years ago? Don't really think that's applicable for 2016. And I'm no UI fan...

Some things never change.

When was that? 40 years ago? Don't really think that's applicable for 2016. And I'm no UI fan...

It's speculative but applicable I think because neither NU or Illinois seem to have changed their standards significantly over that time period from what I can see. Remember MRCat95's quote: "We're no dumber than when we stunk"? From what I see and hear from various sources, I entirely agree. When I met Fitz for the first time, he wanted to know what degree and job I had, and for him, he took it as an affirmation of what NU athletics was all about. Take it for what it's worth, but I see no difference in NU's standards while I see the same modestly above minimal standards for UI, though I admit I know less about UI admissions these days.

I'm not putting down UI's standards at all, either. Each school has their own mission, and UI is an excellent public research university that does a good job of graduating their athletes.

Last edited:
Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
It's speculative but applicable I think because neither NU or Illinois seem to have changed their standards significantly over that time period from what I can see. Remember MRCat95's quote: "We're no dumber than when we stunk"? From what I see and hear from various sources, I entirely agree. When I met Fitz for the first time, he wanted to know what degree and job I had, and for him, he took it as an affirmation of what NU athletics was all about. Take it for what it's worth, but I see no difference in NU's standards while I see the same modestly above minimal standards for UI, though I admit I know less about UI admissions these days.

I'm not putting down UI's standards at all, either. Each school has their own mission, and UI is an excellent public research university that does a good job of graduating their athletes.

I still think taking a small personal experience from 40 years ago and using it to generalize that Wisconsin is currently equal or greater than Illinois is stretching it a bit...

Goodwin will play big minutes from day one at Illinois.

"Will" play, huh? Pretty confident, eh? Did you personally donate the car or apartment that U of I is using to woo him? Kidding.... not kidding... kidding... can't decide.

Or we felt better about our current guys and other center recruits that we're pursuing. Or maybe the coaches just didn't like something about him. I don't think that we should be so quick to assume a kid's grades are bad. Give credit to U of I for getting a commitment from a highly regarded player.
They don't have to be bad to not be able or want to go to NU

Combes is right about one thing with respect to the original topic of the thread, the talent I have in mind will play from day one at Illinois or Northwestern or wherever they choose, most likely.

Combes is right about one thing with respect to the original topic of the thread, the talent I have in mind will play from day one at Illinois or Northwestern or wherever they choose, most likely.
I think everyone will calm down a lot once the first one commits.

Reactions: IGNORE2

Combes is correct that he'll play big minutes. Along with the other three underclassmen who play guard, two of whom are four-star recruits.

NU would be different. At NU he'll be handed the keys to the car and starting his Sophomore year will be the only driver.

Been two weeks - anytime soon?

Already happened, kind of. Well, I heard we were in a kid's ear that everyone thought we were on the outside, looking in and might even get a commit by the end of the month, but instead, we just made the cut. I still have my hopes that CCC can close the deal.

At this point, I don't know anything that you guys don't know.

Last edited:

I'm the worlds worst wagerer. Betting against it guarantees it will happen.
Hedging your bets, by betting against what you want to happen, my old fantasy football strategy that got boring, fast. If your bet is wrong your happy because your team won, if your bet is right you're theoretically happy because you won your bet and you can say I told you so, but you're not really happy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT