ADVERTISEMENT

Big developements on the recruiting front

EvanstonCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Not a guarantee or anything, but I think we will all be very, very happy soon.

Don't have anything more to share at this time.

Call it a hunch.

That's reassuring - when have your hunches ever been wrong.
60726641.jpg

I'm rooting for Ecat here! I like giving him a hard time, but let's do it Ecat!!!

Aren't we all?

Oops, forgot about xyzbobxyz.

More personal attacks and wrong ones. Just because you bury your head in the sand doesn't make you superfan. Other adjectives would apply.

I hope we land two highly regarded guys with one PG and one big. And I hope we go dancing this year. And I hope we become a regular top tier program.

But, right now, the recruiting front looks thinner than the last few seasons. And I will so enjoy calling you pollyannas out if we don't land at least one top recruit. Meanwhile,back on the farm, who do you have at the 2, 3 and backup PG and does your glee start with the word potential in describing them? We are two seasons away from possibly being very good - unless a lot of 'potential' pays off.

But cmon, put money where you mouth is. Should we wager naming rights over something? Recruits? Results next year? Back up your talk. Any of you? Who is ready to wager their user name?

But, right now, the recruiting front looks thinner than the last few seasons.

Did you know that half of the teams in the Big 10 (including NU) do not have a 2017 commit yet? And that for the 7 schools who do have commits, this amounts to a whopping 9 players (one of which is the head coaches son at Iowa, who committed over 2 years ago)? Still early in the recruiting cycle for top players recruited by Big 10 schools. I doubt the fans at MSU or MD or PU are freaking out because they don't have a commit yet.............

Last edited:
Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
More personal attacks and wrong ones. Just because you bury your head in the sand doesn't make you superfan. Other adjectives would apply.

I hope we land two highly regarded guys with one PG and one big. And I hope we go dancing this year. And I hope we become a regular top tier program.

But, right now, the recruiting front looks thinner than the last few seasons. And I will so enjoy calling you pollyannas out if we don't land at least one top recruit. Meanwhile,back on the farm, who do you have at the 2, 3 and backup PG and does your glee start with the word potential in describing them? We are two seasons away from possibly being very good - unless a lot of 'potential' pays off.

But cmon, put money where you mouth is. Should we wager naming rights over something? Recruits? Results next year? Back up your talk. Any of you? Who is ready to wager their user name?

Let's see... I don't recall ANYBODY saying we are going to land a "top recruit" this cycle. My point was that it was not a "concern" at this juncture.

I don't recall anybody saying we're going to the NCAAs this year. Our non-conference schedule would make that difficult without a stellar Big Ten performance.

By the way, how do you define "top recruit" and who decides if a kid is a "top recruit?" You, right? Ha ha ha. I could see it now. Collins signs a 4-star recruit but Scout gives him 3 stars and you claim Collins is recruiting poorly now.

What if ECat's news is that Coach Collins has recruited Turk to rejoin the board?

That wouldn't make us all very, very happy now would it?

Have some faith.

I said recruiting. It has nothing to do with facilities nor does it have anything to do with anything other than the infusion of talent into our basketball program. It's not going to be overnight, but expect something within the month. If the month of July passes without this coming to fruition, then I will readily come out and say that what I understood to be in the works was BS.

Have some faith.

I said recruiting. It has nothing to do with facilities nor does it have anything to do with anything other than the infusion of talent into our basketball program. It's not going to be overnight, but expect something within the month. If the month of July passes without this coming to fruition, then I will readily come out and say that what I understood to be in the works was BS.

The only other thing I'll say at this time is that I'm not the only one on this board who knows what's up. But, that person is choosing to be quiet and I'll respect his position. I also believe Haywood may know what's up, but I'm not sure.

Have some faith.

Shurna, Juice and Drew were all granted three more years of eligibility?

I think he explained himself quite nicely.
What I think is awesome is that he gives no clue and says there will big developments over the next month. Given the guys Collins is focused on, landing two of them would be a big deal and it would probably happen in the next month. So essentially what E-Cat is saying is we have chance to land 2 of high profile kids we are going after and are maybe secretly leading for them. It really is kinda saying nothing but that said, I love it only because it totally changed the tone of the board from the ridiculous concern to new hey e-Cat's got secret inside info that its all gonna be all right.

Time will tell.

Lets me keep dreaming of Goodwin and Nwora playing in the new WR in 2018 along side of Law, Falzon, Pardon, Benson, Rap, Brown and Ash and that on paper has the makings of a long, fast athletic NCAA team.

What I think is awesome is that he gives no clue and says there will big developments over the next month. Given the guys Collins is focused on, landing two of them would be a big deal and it would probably happen in the next month. So essentially what E-Cat is saying is we have chance to land 2 of high profile kids we are going after and are maybe secretly leading for them. It really is kinda saying nothing but that said, I love it only because it totally changed the tone of the board from the ridiculous concern to new hey e-Cat's got secret inside info that its all gonna be all right.

Time will tell.

Lets me keep dreaming of Goodwin and Nwora playing in the new WR in 2018 along side of Law, Falzon, Pardon, Benson, Rap, Brown and Ash and that on paper has the makings of a long, fast athletic NCAA team.
Bigger news would be that 3 high profile recruits would be playing in the new W-R.

Time will tell.

Isn't that during construction?

Time will tell.

We're being rainmade here. If they come, ECat says told you so. If not, he says things changed.
If ECat really wants credit, he needs to bring more specifics.

Reactions: YesterdaysCat
I know ECat's long-established journalistic integrity is at stake here. After all, nobody here besides him ever spreads rumors or speculates. And all of us always step up front to admit when we've been wrong. So you'll have to excuse me for playing along and indulging him for a moment.

ECat, I assume, you're in contact with the person who is choosing to remain silent. Will they also talk once a decision has been made?

Thanks for the summer fun, ECat.

I know ECat's long-established journalistic integrity is at stake here. After all, nobody here besides him ever spreads rumors or speculates. And all of us always step up front to admit when we've been wrong. So you'll have to excuse me for playing along and indulging him for a moment.

ECat, I assume, you're in contact with the person who is choosing to remain silent. Will they also talk once a decision has been made?

Thanks for the summer fun, ECat.

I have no journalistic integrity here or anywhere else. I made a statement and stand by it. If people want to dismiss it because it is vague and empty (and admittedly it is) then so be it. I am simply unable to say much more than I have. And to elgato's point - I want no credit if something goes down. It isn't as if I had anything to do with it. I'm just gonna be happy if it happens if that's ok with everyone. As to whether others will remain silent, that's really up to them. I have no idea except to say that anyone who would know something is free to share whatever they know without my blessing. They certainly didn't learn anything from me. It's not up to me nor am I able to influence anyone to divulge anything or keep silent on this or any other matter.

Reactions: VirginiaWildcat
I have no journalistic integrity here or anywhere else. I made a statement and stand by it. If people want to dismiss it because it is vague and empty (and admittedly it is) then so be it. I am simply unable to say much more than I have. And to elgato's point - I want no credit if something goes down. It isn't as if I had anything to do with it. I'm just gonna be happy if it happens if that's ok with everyone. As to whether others will remain silent, that's really up to them. I have no idea except to say that anyone who would know something is free to share whatever they know without my blessing. They certainly didn't learn anything from me. It's not up to me nor am I able to influence anyone to divulge anything or keep silent on this or any other matter.

Liked by Virginia. Can this board endure an E-Cat and Virginia alliance?

Reactions: EvanstonCat
You've got a serious chip on your shoulder, my man. It's not doing you any favors...

Is your name Chip? Because sometimes I do feel like you're on my shoulders, like an annoying Disney chipmunk squeaking away in my ear about Coach Carmody or some other nonsense from 8 years ago.

Illinois got a highly rated recruit, a center prospect. NU did not pursue him at all. That indicates that there is a distinct possibility that he might not have been able to be admitted to NU since NU is going hard for his AAU teammate Jordan Goodwin. Also, if the Illini does not make the tourney in 2016 there is a strong possibility that John Groce is not there in 2017 with a new AD there.

As for NU's recruiting, NU is still fighting for Goodwin. His decision comes down to in my opinion, if he wants to be the fifth guy at 6'3" SG at Illinois and ride the pines for his first two years or more or if he wants to go to NU where he has a good chance at minutes from year 1. At least Collins is getting to the plate and he has a strong staff to have options.

As for questions about who is at the PG, SG and SF position next year since some are confused, here it is:
PG: 1. MacIntosh, 2. Brown, 3. Ash
SG: 1. Lindsey, 2. Law, 3/4. Ash/Brown 5. Lumpkin (at 6'5" his natural position based on his size)
SF: 1. Law, 2. Rapolas/Lumpkin, 3/4. Lumpkin/Tap

Good mixture of youth, athleticism and some veterans.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT