ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest Sleepers in Power 5 Football 2017

steelerchic

Jan 17, 2017
As a new poster, not sure of protocol on here, but seems like it should be ok to post this article (my apologies if not):

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-power-5-college-football-conferences-in-2017

Very surprised by their Maryland pick, and I can see why they pick Oregon, but I just do not see it totally coming together for that new staff in 2017, even with the number of returners - otherwise I agree with all the rest

I kinda get the Maryland pick, but it might be a year too soon. Furling has been amassing some talent.

The Syracuse pick is interesting because the can score like the dickens.

Sorry to read that Snyder has throats cancer. Greatest coach no one ever hears about.

Nothing really new in that article but it seemed generally accurate and sometimes we get either overlooked entirely or poorly analyzed so thanks for posting.

Practices have been turned up a notch this season over seasons past. The coaches, players, and us fans are expecting a great season. The coaches are pushing the players to be the best they can be. I am excited for this coming season.
It's hard to get all the way to Evanston for a game, but we will likely make the first TWO games. Flying over for Nevada and can drive to Duke. I share your enthusiasm.

JJTBC is one of my top 3 all time fave Cats, wanna see him a few more times. Also this defense you speak of.

I hope the kickers are working as hard as everyone else...

It's hard to get all the way to Evanston for a game, but we will likely make the first TWO games. Flying over for Nevada and can drive to Duke. I share your enthusiasm.

JJTBC is one of my top 3 all time fave Cats, wanna see him a few more times. Also this defense you speak of.

I hope the kickers are working as hard as everyone else...

Hey, phatcat, there is a very good chance I will be organizing a ticket block for the Duke game. Did it the last time and had about 65 people in purple

Hey, phatcat, there is a very good chance I will be organizing a ticket block for the Duke game. Did it the last time and had about 65 people in purple
Thanks FA. We might have our little one in tow (with her #1 jersey). Last time in Durham, We drove down to meet friends/NU fans in Raleigh. Wish I had worn my white jersey. It was frikkin hot!

Do parents participate with alum in tailgating for games? Is there one big tailgate or tend to be various groups - home/away?

Practices have been turned up a notch this season over seasons past. The coaches, players, and us fans are expecting a great season. The coaches are pushing the players to be the best they can be. I am excited for this coming season.

That is good to hear, but it does beg the question as to why the practices weren't turned up a notch in the first place.

That is good to hear, but it does beg the question as to why the practices weren't turned up a notch in the first place.
Coaches have to know the absolute limit they can push their players. Some player and or groups of players are able to be pushed farther than others. My guess is that this is one of those special groups that can be pushed to higher limits than most. I have said this is a special group. This my friends is a group of winners who are willing to do that which is asked of them to be Champions . I never question our coaching staff. We have a stellar strength and agility staff, and excellent coaching staff from Fitz on down. Keep in mind that there are no fluff classes for our athletes either. They have to bring it in the classroom and on the field. Huge difference being challenged mentally and physically. This coaching staff has to bend but not break these young men. There is no other program ( Maybe Stanford ) that demands as much from its players as Northwestern. Nothing but respect to any athlete who takes on this challenge, and nothing but respect for the coaches who know the fine line that needs to be walked when building Champions.

Coaches have to know the absolute limit they can push their players. Some player and or groups of players are able to be pushed farther than others. My guess is that this is one of those special groups that can be pushed to higher limits than most. I have said this is a special group. This my friends is a group of winners who are willing to do that which is asked of them to be Champions . I never question our coaching staff. We have a stellar strength and agility staff, and excellent coaching staff from Fitz on down. Keep in mind that there are no fluff classes for our athletes either. They have to bring it in the classroom and on the field. Huge difference being challenged mentally and physically. This coaching staff has to bend but not break these young men. There is no other program ( Maybe Stanford ) that demands as much from its players as Northwestern. Nothing but respect to any athlete who takes on this challenge, and nothing but respect for the coaches who know the fine line that needs to be walked when building Champions.

Hope you are feeling better and well along the road to recovery!

Reactions: CatsDad
Thanks FA. We might have our little one in tow (with her #1 jersey). Last time in Durham, We drove down to meet friends/NU fans in Raleigh. Wish I had worn my white jersey. It was frikkin hot!

I guess I missed the point about having your kid with you. Kids are certainly welcome in the ticket block. Don't know if small children require their own ticket. One person in the block the last time I had an infant and did not require a ticket.

I always love your confidence.
I would also add that IMO there was a fear of injury that influenced intensity. I think it was deemed counter productive.

I would also add that IMO there was a fear of injury that influenced intensity. I think it was deemed counter productive.
Agreed. I think our depth and our good health during this off-season allow the coaches to go a bit harder. When either is lacking, you must ease off.

Last edited:
Agreed. I think our depth and our good health during this off-season allow the coaches to go a bit harder. When either is lacking, you must off.

It seems like a little bit of a double edged sword to me. Avoid injury in the off season by reducing the intensity, end up with more injuries as the season progresses cause guys aren't braced for he intensity.

Did you hear the guy who said his son was better than Steph Curry, and that all three of his sons would one day be NBA All-Stars? That's confidence.

CatsDad is just telling what's what.

Did you hear the guy who said his son was better than Steph Curry, and that all three of his sons would one day be NBA All-Stars? That's confidence.

Cats dad is confident. That guy is a dreamer.:)
When Catsdad talks I think his optimism is two parts informed info, one part purple glasses and one part "I love my son so much I can hardly contain it." (maybe two part of that). I am in favor of and inspired by all those parts.

Cats dad is confident. That guy is a dreamer.:)
When Catsdad talks I think his optimism is two parts informed info, one part purple glasses and one part "I love my son so much I can hardly contain it." (maybe two part of that). I am in favor of and inspired by all those parts.
You are right on all counts , but I think you will find my predictions are usually correct . I can set aside my love for my son , coaches , players , and program for what I believe to be true. I honestly think we should be very competitive for the West . By the end of the next 3 years I hope you and the others understand why I love my son so much. The young man takes zero shortcuts and does everything right. His work ethic is second to none .

You are right on all counts , but I think you will find my predictions are usually correct . I can set aside my love for my son , coaches , players , and program for what I believe to be true. I honestly think we should be very competitive for the West . By the end of the next 3 years I hope you and the others understand why I love my son so much. The young man takes zero shortcuts and does everything right. His work ethic is second to none .

The question is, are you the second coming of Doug Collins at Jango's Games?;)

The question is, are you the second coming of Doug Collins at Jango's Games?;)
I have NEVER coached my son. I have worked with my son and sent him to the best trainers. I am smart enough to use experts, which I am not. I love my son and am a Wildcats fan. I am in the stands to support every player in Purple and the coaching staff. I know that the coaches have forgotten more about football than I have ever known or will ever know. I believe my son has it in his power to be as successful as he wants to be at Northwestern . I don't believe wins or loses are usually on coaches , it is on players effort or lack there of. I expect us to be successful the next few years, so I don't expect to show much disappointment

Last edited:
Not knowing Doug Collins wasn't a slight on him. I hate basketball, but am excited over the success of our Cats this season .

I have NEVER coached my son. I have worked with my son and sent him to the best trainers. I am smart enough to use experts, which I am not. I love my son and am a Wildcats fan. I am in the stands to support every player in Purple and the coaching staff. I know that the coaches have forgotten more about football than I have ever known or will ever know. I believe my son has it in his power to be as successful as he wants to be at Northwestern . I don't believe wins or loses are usually on coaches , it is on players effort or lack there of. I expect us to be successful the next few years, so I don't expect to show much disappointment

It sounds like Jango is having a great football experience and the two of you seem super close. Is he also enjoying the school part of Northwestern and finding friends beyond the FB team? I always worry that the players have such a rigorous practice and weightlifting schedule that there isn't enough time left for the "next 40 years" part. I'm well aware and proud of NU's high graduation rates for the FB players, but I hope he's having fun too and getting a chance to get the full NU experience. Cheers!

It sounds like Jango is having a great football experience and the two of you seem super close. Is he also enjoying the school part of Northwestern and finding friends beyond the FB team? I always worry that the players have such a rigorous practice and weightlifting schedule that there isn't enough time left for the "next 40 years" part. I'm well aware and proud of NU's high graduation rates for the FB players, but I hope he's having fun too and getting a chance to get the full NU experience. Cheers!

Well, Jango finished his first quarter with a 3.90 GPA, so he's working hard on the "next 40 years" part.

This is a great article about the Ball family, published last summer, before Lonzo completely transformed UCLA.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theringer.com/amp/p/c4a7719b22e9

And this is an article about Lamelo scoring 92 points in a high school game.

https://www.google.com/amp/deadspin...elo-ball-scored-92-points-in-a-1792118391/amp

Lonzo is averaging 15, 6, and 7.5 for a top ten team, and will be a top five pick. The ball family patriarch is the Richard Williams (Venus and Serena) of hoops. He's built a budding dynasty, and his kids don't appear to hate him.

I highly recommend the first article. It might take three visits to the toilet, though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT