ADVERTISEMENT

Boo

Sec.112

Jun 17, 2001
It seems the only time his name comes up out here is when people want to peck away at the weaknesses in his game. So let's even out that discussion a little bit and acknowledge his pretty damn nice stat lines for the last two games.

Wisconsin 37 mins / 20 pts / 1-4 3-pt / 50% eFG% / 5-6 FT / 7 R / 1 TO

Nebraska 35 mins / 17 pts / 3-5 3-pt / 72% eFG% / 4-4 FT / 5 R / 2 TO

Yes, ugly Boo will appear sometime. He's an imperfect player in an incredibly imperfect group. But he also has several good sides to his game that are several of the more reliable things on this team.

He's my favorite player on this team. So reliable with the ball, and fearless. Shooting comes and goes, but he is always a threat to penetrate and scope (or draw a foul and hit his shots). His defense has been excellent.

I hope he is rewarded for his toils and leadership with a Tournament appearance. Would be a great way to cement a legacy at NU.

His game has really evolved and has been a more complete player. Due to his brother, Lowery or McIntosh. He is a decent point guard who has become a much better defender. While I think Audige is the mvp of the team, boo is a close second

He's my favorite player on this team. So reliable with the ball, and fearless. Shooting comes and goes, but he is always a threat to penetrate and scope (or draw a foul and hit his shots). His defense has been excellent.

I hope he is rewarded for his toils and leadership with a Tournament appearance. Would be a great way to cement a legacy at NU.
Three exceptional guards with amazing 🤩 leg 🦵 speed

I really like what I've seen from him in the last several games. He seems to have all but abandoned throwing up those off balance, way too deep threes, and has settled in for dribble drive penetration/kick outs, and getting to the line. His three point shooting has been consistently bad (with last night being the exception), but he's taking fewer of them and seems more committed to getting the team involved.

Looking good imho.

edit: and his defense has really improved, while staying out of foul trouble.

Reactions: DaCat and drewjin
It seems the only time his name comes up out here is when people want to peck away at the weaknesses in his game. So let's even out that discussion a little bit and acknowledge his pretty damn nice stat lines for the last two games.

Yes, ugly Boo will appear sometime. He's an imperfect player in an incredibly imperfect group. But he also has several good sides to his game that are several of the more reliable things on this team.
Both he and Audige have become noticeably more consistent and in-control. Both seem to have shaved a big chunk of the weaknesses off their game (dumb shots and wasted posessions for Audige, out of control shooting and TO games for Boo).

All the frustrations that it seemed like NU players under Collins never really took steps forward are totally reversed this year. The veteran guys suddenly look like cagey, poised vets maximizing their abilities and the young guys are developing and contributing. Amazing.

I have on occasion outright griped (not so much "pecked") about him. When he's been off, and we all know his weaknesses and bad habits that show now and then, I find him absolutely maddening to watch. I think it's great that he's stepped up his game in these last two. I would love it if he could find that on a consistent basis.

Reactions: Dugan15
Boo and Chase are the only duo in the conference each averaging 15 ppg. While I don’t care to check, that might be a nationwide figure. NU’s got the highest-scoring #2 scorer in the conference. I’ll be watching that 15-point threshold the rest of the way, just for fun.

Boo’s A:TO is actually down from last season, but he’s offsetting that by taking more twos, getting to the line, and holy jeez being absolutely money from the stripe. I don’t know how someone improves by ten percentage points in an offseason, but he has, for now.

I suspect that Boo is now gaining that confidence where we’ll see him driving more and more and more — alpha’ing, if you will. We never have that. More free throws, more alley-oops (each of the three guards set up a Nicholbomb last night), better offense.

Also, expanding the topic here to ‘backcourt’, Chase is not shooting less this season. He’s basically had the same minutes/shot ratio in all three seasons. He’s simply letting the game come to him. It’s so different.

And both tendencies — Boo driving more, Chase taking smart shots — look better in January than they did in November/December.

I usually put my flag up for game days if I remember, but it’s staying up until the 6-in-13 is over.

A game like last night is a testament to how good Boo is. Yes, Berry deservedly got the glory (he made his shots), but Boo was in control for the entire game and didn't make the mistakes that were so noticeable earlier in his career. When a team is shooting well, it's not just that they made open shots, though that's a big part of it - it's that the point guard played a great game getting everyone into the right position. He was my MVP for sure last night.

Here is a comparison of two players. One is a perennial All American candidate according to the talking heads, the other is not. Numbers are for conference games:

Player 1

SeasonPointsFG%AssistsReboundsTurnovers
202213.140.0%3.22.42.0
2023 YTD17.345.4%4.33.62.4

Player 2

202213.839.3%3.82.91.5
2023 YTD17.939.1%3.93.52.6

Boo had a moment in last night's game where he got the ball at the top of the key and he was open about 3 feet beyond the 3-point line. He squared up to shoot and I remember saying out loud.... don't do it, Boo, don't do it!

And he didn't take the shot!!

It was such great progress because you could just see the muscles tensing and the brain circuits firing because all his former instincts were shouting to shoot!! But he resisted.

Of course, I think he ended up passing to someone on the wing who turned the ball over and then the camera cut to Collins who was yelling at someone to shoot the ball. If he was yelling that at Boo, then I need to forgive him an awful lot because that means a lot of his bad shot choices were coming from the boss.

... it's that the point guard played a great game getting everyone into the right position ...
This is the part that I can't believe everybody generally blows off. The guy is a fabulous ballhandler. Breaking a press is rarely the problem that we've seen over the last 10 years.

His passing is more than adequate (to be low key). At this point, every team has to have the Nicholson pick and roll on its radar. Still Buie threads that needle to get the ball to a guy with pretty mediocre hands in the few spots he can do something with it.

I'm on board with anybody frustrated by his shot selection as well as his tendency to walk up the ball. But I believe the slow pace is completely by design. He ran the ball far more in past years.

Boo drove me crazy the last three years. This year he has been a joy to watch. Same with Audige.

This is the part that I can't believe everybody generally blows off. The guy is a fabulous ballhandler. Breaking a press is rarely the problem that we've seen over the last 10 years.

His passing is more than adequate (to be low key). At this point, every team has to have the Nicholson pick and roll on its radar. Still Buie threads that needle to get the ball to a guy with pretty mediocre hands in the few spots he can do something with it.

I'm on board with anybody frustrated by his shot selection as well as his tendency to walk up the ball. But I believe the slow pace is completely by design. He ran the ball far more in past years.
I think walking the ball up to half court has been particularly noticeable the last couple of games by design. It seems like Collin's game plan is to shorten the game and save the legs, given the lack of days off during this stretch.

Reactions: JWalsh795
I think walking the ball up to half court has been particularly noticeable the last couple of games by design. It seems like Collin's game plan is to shorten the game and save the legs, given the lack of days off during this stretch.
Sometimes he cuts that awfully close and then sprints over the line with 21 seconds left on the shot clock. At home I'm thinking.... do you really need to give me another reason to be anxious when watching these games!!??!!

I have on occasion outright griped (not so much "pecked") about him. When he's been off, and we all know his weaknesses and bad habits that show now and then, I find him absolutely maddening to watch. I think it's great that he's stepped up his game in these last two. I would love it if he could find that on a consistent basis.
IMO, he has been pretty consistent all year. Only a couple of clunkers. This guy is the leader of this team. It’s very obvious in person as he is very engaged in what each player should do. A vast departure from last year where it seemed like no one took the bull by the horns in leading on the court. Boo has been great.

Reactions: Eurocat and ubercat
Here is a comparison of two players. One is a perennial All American candidate according to the talking heads, the other is not. Numbers are for conference games:

Player 1

202213.140.0%3.22.42.0
2023 YTD17.345.4%4.33.62.4

Player 2

202213.839.3%3.82.91.5
2023 YTD17.939.1%3.93.52.6
I realize I did not write Player 1 is Marcus Carr and Player 2 is Buie

Wow the nagging about "how bad Buie is" has really done a 180.

The fact is that he struggled early this season, has really altered his approach from (primarily) 3 point shooter to primarily "drive and score or dish" guard.

McIntosh's influence, I'd guess. Not to mention the scoring limitations of our centers and the improved quality of the ball screens he has gotten this year, enabling Buie to get free.

I give him a lot of credit for adapting to what the team does best. Hopefully the 3 pointers start falling too.

I just feel a lot more confident when he has the ball and is looking to attack (as opposed to Audige).

He’ll be even better next year when returns to play for CCC.

Reactions: ubercat
Really nice thread. Thanks, Sec. 112! I am one who has expressed exasperation with Boo. I stand by those exasperated moments.

However, comments about growth, ball handling, passion, defensive improvement, etc. are so true.

Go ‘Cats!

Reactions: catcrazy
Boo and Chase are the only duo in the conference each averaging 15 ppg. While I don’t care to check, that might be a nationwide figure. NU’s got the highest-scoring #2 scorer in the conference. I’ll be watching that 15-point threshold the rest of the way, just for fun.

Boo’s A:TO is actually down from last season, but he’s offsetting that by taking more twos, getting to the line, and holy jeez being absolutely money from the stripe. I don’t know how someone improves by ten percentage points in an offseason, but he has, for now.

I suspect that Boo is now gaining that confidence where we’ll see him driving more and more and more — alpha’ing, if you will. We never have that. More free throws, more alley-oops (each of the three guards set up a Nicholbomb last night), better offense.

Also, expanding the topic here to ‘backcourt’, Chase is not shooting less this season. He’s basically had the same minutes/shot ratio in all three seasons. He’s simply letting the game come to him. It’s so different.

And both tendencies — Boo driving more, Chase taking smart shots — look better in January than they did in November/December.

I usually put my flag up for game days if I remember, but it’s staying up until the 6-in-13 is over.
Too much work taking it down when you have to put it right back up?

... I stand by those exasperated moments.
You should! I'm with ya. You have to be blind not to be bothered by parts of Boo's game. But the more prevalent part of his game ... well, I've said enough already.

Boo's brother scored over 2600 points at Penn St. I think he has been the biggest influence. You can see him getting on him for bad shoots and giving him advice during timeouts.
You could be right... but I know McIntosh was very effective at beating his defender off the dribble and getting into the lane. I wasn't sure if that was Talor Battle's style.

You could be right... but I know McIntosh was very effective at beating his defender off the dribble and getting into the lane. I wasn't sure if that was Talor Battle's style.
Talor Battle's style was to score in high volume anyway he could.

Reactions: ballerog711
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT