ADVERTISEMENT

+/- for the Maryland matchup

PurpleWhiteBoy

Feb 25, 2021
Good game. Two squads playing physical basketball. Jahmir Young's outstanding game was not enough to overcome the more talented Northwestern rotation...

PlayerMinutesNU ptsMD PtsRaw +/-Player AdjustGame +/-
Barnhizer387069+1+7.83+8.03
Nicholson315850+8+1.35+2.95
Buie376964+5+1.50+2.50
Preston0+02-2+0.00-0.4
Berry326058+2-1.49-1.09
Hunger91417-3-1.93-1.93
Martinelli162521+4-2.74-1.94
Langborg376464+0-5.13-5.13

Brooks Barnhizer claims top honors this week with 38 minutes of warfare against the Terrapins. 5 of 8 from the field, 1 of 2 from distance, 4 of 4 from the foul line, 4 rebounds, 3 assists, 5 steals and 1 block.

Matt Nicholson played 31 minutes, one shy of his career high. He and his teammates put up a +8 and he was more active on both ends of the floor. Some noteworthy items... Because Julian Reese doesn't shoot 3's, Nicholson was able to stay in the paint more defensively and he didn't have to do as much switching. That helps him use his size more effectively. On the offensive end, NU was screening with a variety of players. Nicholson spent more time near the basket, although he continued his excellent screening - just less of it. This resulted in more offensive rebounds and disruption, plus several dunks.

Boo Buie had another good game, as we've come to expect.
Ty Berry was not as good as he has been lately - his shot suffered as he tried to slow down Jahmir Young... without much success.
But he contributed 3 assists, 5 rebounds and 4 huge free throws to seal the victory.
Ryan Langborg didn't shoot it well (3 for 10) but battled for 37 minutes in a physical game.
Nick Martinelli struggled at times - Collins was not thrilled when he ran out the shot clock...
Luke Hunger - we got outscored 14-7 when the new starting lineup was in the game (just over 5 minutes).
When the old starting lineup (Nicholson/Barnhizer/Bery/Langborg/Buie) was out there, we outscored the Terps 40-32 in 18 minutes.
The fact that a specific 5 man lineup would play 18 minutes together is a fairly dramatic change for Coach Collins. It reflects our limited depth.
"NU's best lineup" (Nicholson/Martinelli/Barnhizer/Berry/Buie) only saw 2:21 of gametime and tied 5-5.

Good win for Northwestern.

Oh one other thing - watching the replay - at the end of the game - Collins was trying to decide if he wanted to foul with 3 seconds left and (hopefully) a 3 point lead. He huddled with his assistants. Talor Battle was pretty animated, definitely voicing his opinion. Lowery responded to Battle. McIntosh leaned back a little and didn't say anything. Collins gave the word to foul. I thought the dynamic was pretty good.

Collins is going for back to back tourny visits. I dont blame him for sticking with the experience.

That was a big game game, quad 3 loss would have been very bad for the bid.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Ty also made that critical three at the end to stop MD's last run iirc.

The foul made sense to me, although knowing he wasn't going to pass the ball I would have preferred letting him advance it for a second or two first.

Good game. Two squads playing physical basketball. Jahmir Young's outstanding game was not enough to overcome the more talented Northwestern rotation...

PlayerMinutesNU ptsMD PtsRaw +/-Player AdjustGame +/-
Barnhizer387069+1+7.83+8.03
Nicholson315850+8+1.35+2.95
Buie376964+5+1.50+2.50
Preston0+02-2+0.00-0.4
Berry326058+2-1.49-1.09
Hunger91417-3-1.93-1.93
Martinelli162521+4-2.74-1.94
Langborg376464+0-5.13-5.13

Brooks Barnhizer claims top honors this week with 38 minutes of warfare against the Terrapins. 5 of 8 from the field, 1 of 2 from distance, 4 of 4 from the foul line, 4 rebounds, 3 assists, 5 steals and 1 block.

Matt Nicholson played 31 minutes, one shy of his career high. He and his teammates put up a +8 and he was more active on both ends of the floor. Some noteworthy items... Because Julian Reese doesn't shoot 3's, Nicholson was able to stay in the paint more defensively and he didn't have to do as much switching. That helps him use his size more effectively. On the offensive end, NU was screening with a variety of players. Nicholson spent more time near the basket, although he continued his excellent screening - just less of it. This resulted in more offensive rebounds and disruption, plus several dunks.

Boo Buie had another good game, as we've come to expect.
Ty Berry was not as good as he has been lately - his shot suffered as he tried to slow down Jahmir Young... without much success.
But he contributed 3 assists, 5 rebounds and 4 huge free throws to seal the victory.
Ryan Langborg didn't shoot it well (3 for 10) but battled for 37 minutes in a physical game.
Nick Martinelli struggled at times - Collins was not thrilled when he ran out the shot clock...
Luke Hunger - we got outscored 14-7 when the new starting lineup was in the game (just over 5 minutes).
When the old starting lineup (Nicholson/Barnhizer/Bery/Langborg/Buie) was out there, we outscored the Terps 40-32 in 18 minutes.
The fact that a specific 5 man lineup would play 18 minutes together is a fairly dramatic change for Coach Collins. It reflects our limited depth.
"NU's best lineup" (Nicholson/Martinelli/Barnhizer/Berry/Buie) only saw 2:21 of gametime and tied 5-5.

Good win for Northwestern.

Oh one other thing - watching the replay - at the end of the game - Collins was trying to decide if he wanted to foul with 3 seconds left and (hopefully) a 3 point lead. He huddled with his assistants. Talor Battle was pretty animated, definitely voicing his opinion. Lowery responded to Battle. McIntosh leaned back a little and didn't say anything. Collins gave the word to foul. I thought the dynamic was pretty good.
I noticed Brian James had an inbounds formation drawn up in the event Maryland scored.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
Ty also made that critical three at the end to stop MD's last run iirc.

The foul made sense to me, although knowing he wasn't going to pass the ball I would have preferred letting him advance it for a second or two first.
I am not wild about fouling there. Seen too many weird things happen and we are great on the boards. If you must foul, double Young and force the inbounds to someone else for the foul.

I am not wild about fouling there. Seen too many weird things happen and we are great on the boards. If you must foul, double Young and force the inbounds to someone else for the foul.
To me, you do want to foul there, but you want to do it better.
It looked to me like we doubled Young and Maryland had their other 3 guys on our end of the floor.
Our improvable "minor mistake" was that we fouled Young immediately 70 feet from the basket.
If you let him dribble up court, then foul (before halfcourt) you get a couple seconds off the clock.
If he passes, the clock probably runs out before anybody can shoot.

Thats really only viable when there are less than 3 seconds on the clock.

I'm in favor of forcing someone else to the line for the shots. What I want to avoid is MD getting a clear shot from three (and/or getting fouled taking it). I'm all in favor of running the clock a bit more and of doubling him to force the pass to someone else.

Things could have gone terribly wrong in a number of ways any way they played it, of course.

Fouling up three inside of 5 seconds is always the right move, and I hate it. I wish there were a way to ‘play it out’.

(A super super bonus? Extra free throws inside of 10 seconds? None of these are good solutions.)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT