ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING: NU lands Cincinnati QB Ben Bryant

Interesting. I guess that means we didn't feel "the guy" for next season was already on the roster.

• Haha
Reactions: IGNORE2
homer simpson applause GIF

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Thanks Lou. Just looking at his stats, he's played enough in 4 years to use all 4 of eligibility I believe, so this is his free Covid year and he just has one season of eligibility left?

Definitely good news. We desperately needed another option at QB, or at the very least someone to provide more competition and depth.

The last sentence is also something I was happy to read.

Very interesting. I saw a fair amount of Ben Bryant last year, being a Cincy Bearcat fan to some extent. He is a pretty good QB. I felt like he sometimes could be streaky. He also had some pretty talented pass catchers to throw to last year, which he will lack here. Despite all that, I fully expect he will beat out who we currently have on the roster.

Very interesting. I saw a fair amount of Ben Bryant last year, being a Cincy Bearcat fan to some extent. He is a pretty good QB. I felt like he sometimes could be streaky. He also had some pretty talented pass catchers to throw to last year, which he will lack here. Despite all that, I fully expect he will beat out who we currently have on the roster.
I expect that too, although I saw enough from Sullivan that I think he deserves a shot.

Reactions: drewjin
He looks impressive in these highlights from last season.

Of course he does, they're highlights, not lowlights.

Reminds me of the Mitch Hedberg joke:
One time, this guy handed me a picture of him, he said "Here's a picture of me when I was younger." Every picture is of you when you were younger. "Here's a picture of me when I'm older." "You son-of-a-bitch! How'd you pull that off? Lemme see that camera... What's it look like? "

Of course he does, they're highlights, not lowlights.

Reminds me of the Mitch Hedberg joke:
One time, this guy handed me a picture of him, he said "Here's a picture of me when I was younger." Every picture is of you when you were younger. "Here's a picture of me when I'm older." "You son-of-a-bitch! How'd you pull that off? Lemme see that camera... What's it look like? "
It uses tachyons.

• Haha
Reactions: IGNORE2
A guy at work told me about this today as I was walking past his desk. He graduated from UC this past weekend, and he said Bryant was a couple rows behind him. This guy follows UC like I follow NU, so I asked how Ben’s mobility is, and his reply was that he’s a statue.
I really feel like NU needs a mobile QB, because most years it seems that the Offensive Line is some form of Russian Roulette. I mean, the #11 pick in the NFL Draft was playing Left Tackle last year, and the QB’s were dodging bullets almost every drop back.

Nice write up. Thanks

Like the factoid about how he convincingly won against a Big Ten opponent,

It looks like stpaulcat and Alvious knew something the rest of us didn’t and don’t discount the karma of little Rocky.

I wonder if this reflects the talents in the QB or on the OL… how many QBs did we sacrifice last year?

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin
Nice write up. Thanks

Like the factoid about how he convincingly won against a Big Ten opponent,

It looks like stpaulcat and Alvious knew something the rest of us didn’t and don’t discount the karma of little Rocky.
Cincy played NU? Oh, a real B1G opponent…

While the apparent lack of mobility is a concern, can be mitigated with a quick passing game, that is, if the Cats have players who can create separation quickly.

Thought Sullivan showed promise, but doesn't hurt to bring in a guy who has more experience.

Interestingly, BB was originally a Wisky commit, but they pulled his offer when he tweeted about getting an UGA offer despite his intentions to play for the Badgers, so he'll finally get a chance to play in the B1G if he wins the starting job (and stays healthy).

Last edited:
Reactions: Alaskawildkat
After Hilinski didn’t succeed in his series of starts I’ve been very much against the perpetuation of portal QBs to NU because it hurts both HS QB development and recruiting. I am a pretty big fan of Sullivan and am also hopeful that Lausch is Kustok Lite. However, after Sullivan was banged up multiple times, Hilinski blew his knee and Richardson transferred, this is not the year to ride with 2 recently injured QBs, 2 walkons and a true frosh. Bryant is a more proven quantity like Ramsey versus the high ceiling but college-unproven Hunter and Hilinski.

After Hilinski didn’t succeed in his series of starts I’ve been very much against the perpetuation of portal QBs to NU because it hurts both HS QB development and recruiting. I am a pretty big fan of Sullivan and am also hopeful that Lausch is Kustok Lite. However, after Sullivan was banged up multiple times, Hilinski blew his knee and Richardson transferred, this is not the year to ride with 2 recently injured QBs, 2 walkons and a true frosh. Bryant is a more proven quantity like Ramsey versus the high ceiling but college-unproven Hunter and Hilinski.

Yes Sir. We do have to stop riding this QB portal train.... but not this year.

I like this transfer, but he really hasn't done much more than Hilinski did at SCar.

My thoughts, that don't matter:

* What do you say to your existing QBs who have been in the system since Day 1, or to Hilinski, when you tell them you've recruited this guy?

* Five years ago I would have expected Fitz to skip the portal and go with a QB he recruited out of high school no matter what - ride of die - I'm happy to see he's willing to balance loyalty with needing to field the best team possible.

* In fairness to Sullivan, he's only heading into his third year and wasn't the pre-ordained starter last year. It's still entirely possible for him to win the starting job this year or next year and be great, either way if he's got some developing to do, I don't see that as reflecting negatively on him - not everyone is built to be a three/four-year starter.

* Part of me wonders if Bryant actually and literally picked NU for a graduate program, and sees this as being the best of both worlds. Like, I wonder if he picked NU because he felt like he could win the starting job outright (I doubt anything was promised to him) but even if he doesn't sees a grad degree from NU being a nice landing. EDIT: Nevermind..."Chicagoland native"

* Just happy to see some signs of life coming out of the portal.

Last edited:
To the other QBs, you say "QB play must improve. Get to work."
The “other” QB’s response, give us a chance to play and we’ll prove it to you. Sullivan should have been given the chance to start Day 1 last year. I hope FItz doesn’t make the same mistake again.

My thoughts, that don't matter:

* What do you say to your existing QBs who have been in the system since Day 1, or to Hilinski, when you tell them you've recruited this guy?

* Five years ago I would have expected Fitz to skip the portal and go with a QB he recruited out of high school no matter what - ride of die - I'm happy to see he's willing to balance loyalty with needing to field the best team possible.

* In fairness to Sullivan, he's only heading into his third year and wasn't the pre-ordained starter last year. It's still entirely possible for him to win the starting job this year or next year and be great, either way if he's got some developing to do, I don't see that as reflecting negatively on him - not everyone is built to be a three/four-year starter.

* Part of me wonders if Bryant actually and literally picked NU for a graduate program, and sees this as being the best of both worlds. Like, I wonder if he picked NU because he felt like he could win the starting job outright (I doubt anything was promised to him) but even if he doesn't sees a grad degree from NU being a nice landing.

* Just happy to see some signs of life coming out of the portal.
What I would say to hold-over QBs is that we lost 11 games and had, arguably, the worst offense in FBS and lost 11 games. They are encouraged (required, actually) to compete for the job, but nobody's job is guaranteed

The “other” QB’s response, give us a chance to play and we’ll prove it to you. Sullivan should have been given the chance to start Day 1 last year. I hope FItz doesn’t make the same mistake again.
Sullivan was injured several times last year and the way he plays probably would make it hard for him to start the entire season. Hilinski just had surgery and may not be available for a while. None of the QBs have played a down of college ball. Really, how can anyone be critical of the coaching staff finding a proven option in the portal with the injuries and unproven state of the current QB situation? We are in a new era where picking up players (and losing players) in the portal is the norm and not the exception. I want the best available regardless of what players we have on the roster. Anyone we get right now can only improve our chances.

To the other QBs, you say "QB play must improve. Get to work."

Agree with @Fitzphile .

@corbi296 - can't agree with you. Hilinski and Sully were competing for the starting job during fall camp and Hilinski was given the keys to offense. He justified that decision in game 1, with a brilliant performance to get the win against Neb in Dublin.

27-38 (71.1%), 314 yds, 2TD 0 INT.

But it was a steady decline from there. By the time he was benched in game 6 against Wiscy, he was completely lost and demoralized. And it didn't get better when he came back on after Sully got injured.

- Sullivan played better than expected as the next man up, but got battered pretty badly. He definitely deserves another look and a chance to compete for the starting job.
- Lausch - jury is still out.
- Freeman - not a P5 QB

Having Bryant as a QB1 option is a god send for next season. Keeping him healthy will be the challenge.

Sullivan was injured several times last year and the way he plays probably would make it hard for him to start the entire season. Hilinski just had surgery and may not be available for a while. None of the QBs have played a down of college ball. Really, how can anyone be critical of the coaching staff finding a proven option in the portal with the injuries and unproven state of the current QB situation? We are in a new era where picking up players (and losing players) in the portal is the norm and not the exception. I want the best available regardless of what players we have on the roster. Anyone we get right now can only improve our chances.
I like what I saw of Sullivan. A lot. But spring practice is over, and the coaches must feel that they need something else (better, additional, experienced, whatever). My main concern for any QB with our OL and WR is that they must be able to run for their lives.

All fair points; I'd say QB play has been subpar enough to say there's plenty of blame to go around on the playing side and the coaching side.

No one is critical of bringing another QB in, the depth chart requires it. What I will be critical of is if once again Fitz gives the benefit of the doubt to the more experienced, immobile, transfer QB like he did last year when the battle in summer camp was at worst case a draw. It was a mistake last year and it is a mistake Fitz should not repeat this year. Unless Bryant comes in and is head and shoulders above Sullivan, the starting job should go to Sullivan .

Given the play our all of our QBs last year, Bryant probably has to believe the job is his for the taking. Easily the most experienced and accomplished QB on the team. This said I heard he is a statue which doesn’t bode well for our system and the questionable state of our line and receivers, so I wouldn’t be shocked to see a more mobile QB emerge as our #1.

No one is critical of bringing another QB in, the depth chart requires it. What I will be critical of is if once again Fitz gives the benefit of the doubt to the more experienced, immobile, transfer QB like he did last year when the battle in summer camp was at worst case a draw. It was a mistake last year and it is a mistake Fitz should not repeat this year. Unless Bryant comes in and is head and shoulders above Sullivan, the starting job should go to Sullivan .
You've really latched onto this bone, corbi. Last year coming out of camp, Sully was a redshirt frosh who had zero snaps in college. ZERO. All the reports had Hilinski playing well. Not a difficult decision for Fitz.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT