ADVERTISEMENT

Brown is gone

With all those maybe-could-be-almost-but-not-sure scenarios based completely in "objectivity," you should work for someone's election campaign.

I can see from "all failures land on his resume" and "don't care about injuries" we're in the meathead phase of the discussion. That's fine. If we're not going to base your discussion in reality, I have no problem getting off the train.

But I do have one last question. Since we're not accepting "cherry picking" or complexity into the discussion, can I assume this will be the last we hear about the line up card that absolutely no one cares about?
Jeez, you sure can write! Maybe you can help cappy write his Rose Bowl book! LOL

Since we're not accepting "cherry picking" or complexity into the discussion, can I assume this will be the last we hear about the line up card that absolutely no one cares about?
This. A stupid mistake by some low level staffer. Nothing to see here, move along......

Come on man. . .you act like he was a starter playing 35+ minutes every outing.

What are you even you even talking about? Do you see any reference to minutes played in my post?
True. Gee wonder why you conveniently omitted that. Now go watch Holy cross in the tournament. Oh sorry, maybe intermurals are taking place.

The NIT is utterly meaningless, and anyone who touts an NIT berth as an accomplishment is a loser...
_______

I guess it’s all relative. It’s better than finishing in 10th place like we usually do and being ranked 160th.

Seriously, why do you post here? Where were you last year when we were winning and not succumbing to massive injury problems? Your boy Carmody is no longer here, and no matter what CCC does here, BC was a failure, he sucks, and no one here wishes he was back here. While the more generous people would say he took us a step along the journey, the reality is he wasted 13 precious years miring this program in mediocrity.

I never have called for anyone to be banned from these boards, but I really wish you would go away. You do nothing but bring everyone down. You're worse than that vulgar Purplicious or whatever her name was, because although you are as meanspirited and small as she was, at least she could blame her alcohol problem. At least take the Cat out of your name, you're obviously no Northwestern fan and dishonour our mascot.

Reactions: mikewebb68
With all those maybe-could-be-almost-but-not-sure scenarios based completely in "objectivity," you should work for someone's election campaign.

I can see from "all failures land on his resume" and "don't care about injuries" we're in the meathead phase of the discussion. That's fine. If we're not going to base your discussion in reality, I have no problem getting off the train.

But I do have one last question. Since we're not accepting "cherry picking" or complexity into the discussion, can I assume this will be the last we hear about the line up card that absolutely no one cares about?

No control over that. My position is broader as a poor game day coach. If it becomes a pissing battle with someone, then I’m sure that would be an arrow in the quiver.

Think about it: Collins wins in the NCAA Tournament, 1.

All other NU coaches: Zero.

Wow.
Of course, the correct response is "Carmody sucks" but after consulting with the judges I find this to be an acceptable response as well.

At least take the Cat out of your name, you're obviously no Northwestern fan and dishonour our mascot.

Speaking of mascots, Holy Cross got rid of theirs yesterday. The Holy Cross Crusaders will no longer be represented by a knight cuz knights offend some people. But they will continue to be called the crusaders. Because that doesn't offend when you remove the knight.

You can't make this stuff up.

Speaking of mascots, Holy Cross got rid of theirs yesterday. The Holy Cross Crusaders will no longer be represented by a knight cuz knights offend some people. But they will continue to be called the crusaders. Because that doesn't offend when you remove the knight.

Unreal. Someone should tell Rutgers that their Scarlet Knight is offensive. They could be the Scarlets. Except this would remind some of Gone With The Wind and white supremacy in the days of plantations ("Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn"). So they could shorten it to the Scars.

Unreal. Someone should tell Rutgers that their Scarlet Knight is offensive. They could be the Scarlets. Except this would remind some of Gone With The Wind and white supremacy in the days of plantations ("Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn"). So they could shorten it to the Scars.

Rutgers could be The Scarlet Letters and their mascot could be a big, dancing "A."

Could be a hard sell.

The Knights Templar are one of the most fascinating secret societies ever. Some believe they excavated King Solomon’s treasure from Jerusalem and hid it in North America. That’s crazy stuff.

Good use of a mixed metaphor.

I have a friend who likes to say, "We'll jump off that bridge when we cross it". His second fav is "Caught between a hard rock and a wall".
I like "we'll jump off that bridge when we cross it." I'll definitely be using that one.

The Knights Templar are one of the most fascinating secret societies ever. Some believe they excavated King Solomon’s treasure from Jerusalem and hid it in North America. That’s crazy stuff.

Totally totally off topic, but I'd recommend Foucault's Pendulum by Eco if you want a bit of Templar history and secret society stuff, although that isn't the focus of the book entirely.

Seriously, why do you post here? Where were you last year when we were winning and not succumbing to massive injury problems? Your boy Carmody is no longer here, and no matter what CCC does here, BC was a failure, he sucks, and no one here wishes he was back here. While the more generous people would say he took us a step along the journey, the reality is he wasted 13 precious years miring this program in mediocrity.

I never have called for anyone to be banned from these boards, but I really wish you would go away. You do nothing but bring everyone down. You're worse than that vulgar Purplicious or whatever her name was, because although you are as meanspirited and small as she was, at least she could blame her alcohol problem. At least take the Cat out of your name, you're obviously no Northwestern fan and dishonour our mascot.
Dang! You guys are mean. Heck, you have not heard a wimper out of me since Ash went down or wrassler would be everyone's scapegoat! Where's a good scapegoat when you need em?

How? Via Viking ships?

Maybe they hitched a ride with the lost tribe of Israel that came over according to the Book of Mormon and are buried in Oompah Loompah land. Or under WR.

We need a faster,stronger,better shooting version of BMac! Can we find a guard like that who won't turn pro after two years?
“.....faster, stronger, better shooting version of BMac...” Of course. And, I might add, someone with significant experience at the collegiate level. Oscar Robertson, technically, has no college eligibility left. But maybe the NCAA would grant an exception for anyone who turns 80 in the season he returns to the court. The Big O might not be faster, but he has all the moves to compensate for that shortcoming.

“Scars” is NOT an option. First, it conjures up images of war where the wounded are scarred for life. Second, it would be offensive for those whose misfortunes caused them to attempt to end their own lives with a knife.

The Rutgers Ruts is the perfect moniker.

Reactions: NJCat
4 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 turnover. 24% from 3 and 43% overall on a 10th place team.

Not sure what you’d call that.

Not saying he won’t be good some day but I think non contributor is fair for now.

I'd call that a lot better than 2.9, 1.6, .1, .5, 16.7% and 60% that Mo Wagner averaged his freshman year. Or the 1.8, 1.6, .3, .3, 28.6% and 41% that Frank Kaminsky did. Nojel Eastern, who everyone wanted, posted very similar numbers this year to Gaines. Is he deadweight? Zavier Simpson's were similar last year. Was he?

What a ridiculous assertion.

I'd call that a lot better than 2.9, 1.6, .1, .5, 16.7% and 60% that Mo Wagner averaged his freshman year. Or the 1.8, 1.6, .3, .3, 28.6% and 41% that Frank Kaminsky did. Nojel Eastern, who everyone wanted, posted very similar numbers this year to Gaines. Is he deadweight? Zavier Simpson's were similar last year. Was he?

What a ridiculous assertion.

Sure. All these guys would self-evidently be considered dead weight as freshmen, as would anyone with similar numbers regardless of year.

Sure. All these guys would self-evidently be considered dead weight as freshmen, as would anyone with similar numbers regardless of year.

So any player that requires development isn't worth being on a roster, ever?

So any player that requires development isn't worth being on a roster, ever?

No, not saying that. I’m saying you can’t argue he was a contributor or eventually will be good because you can find 3 guys with similar stats who eventually went on to become good.

No, not saying that. I’m saying you can’t argue he was a contributor or eventually will be good because you can find 3 guys with similar stats who eventually went on to become good.

I could find you hundreds of players over the last 5 years around the country. You know it, and you also know it's not worth the time because you're trolling. Enjoy.

Reactions: mikewebb68

They did. Somewhere in the underground passageways and crypts of Philadelphia I believe.

Brown will get playing time elsewhere, and I have confidence in Collins' ability to land a player who is a better fit.
I hope CCC does bring in a "better fit".
But why should one "have confidence" that that will happen?
If they failed in recruiting Brown, they can of course fail in the recruiting of his replacement! Right?!
Of course, they may not, and I hope they won't...but confidence? Not so sure!

I hope CCC does bring in a "better fit".
But why should one "have confidence" that that will happen?
If they failed in recruiting Brown, they can of course fail in the recruiting of his replacement! Right?!
Of course, they may not, and I hope they won't...but confidence? Not so sure!
Did I miss something. Didn't this staff recruit BMAC, Law, Pardon, Lindsey, Gaines , Turner and three highly recruited new freshman. Let's see there are possibly two misses Vassar and brown. Doesn't sound like a lot of failures.

Did I miss something. Didn't this staff recruit BMAC, Law, Pardon, Lindsey, Gaines , Turner and three highly recruited new freshman. Let's see there are possibly two misses Vassar and brown. Doesn't sound like a lot of failures.
Several of those are still unproven or haven't yet played at all, while others have had ups/downs... let's hope all turn out to be great additions like BMac and Pardon...time will tell...But my previous post simply highlighted the irony of saying "I am confident that the staff who missed on this player will do great finding his replacement"...They could miss again just as well....Let's hope they won't.
At the end of the day this staff will be judged on win/losses (assuming no major rule violation or academic issues)...so far they have had one VERY GOOD season, and four bad to mediocre ones ( 9-10th in the B1G with NO post-season). Hopefully they will get back to the NCAA-T next season. Let's see.

At the end of the day this staff will be judged on win/losses (assuming no major rule violation or academic issues)...so far they have had one VERY GOOD season, and four bad to mediocre ones ( 9-10th in the B1G with NO post-season). Hopefully they will get back to the NCAA-T next season. Let's see.
Fair enough. Note that Porter Moser, everyone's new favorite Head Ball Coach, failed to have a winning conference record in his first 6 seasons. His first overall winning season was his 4th year, 2014-15, at 24-13, and he then backslid to 15-17. Sound familiar? Takes time to build a program. And at least Loyola had some history and has decent facilities. NU had nothing when Collins was hired.

NU had nothing when Collins was hired.
NU had a competitive Basketball program in one of the nations best leagues...that is something significant...not as much as we wanted but certainly a lot better than what the previous admin (and most in the "modern" era) found. By contrast, Loyola had one NC but back when JFK was president and next to nothing since (until now)...not clear at all the Loyola staff found a stronger situation to build on.

Reactions: IGNORE2
In 2015-2016, Collins’ third season, NU went 20-12 and 8-10 in the conference which was as solid of a season as any during the BC Era or before. However, due to new NIT rules making it mandatory for teams from mid-majors who won their regular season title who were upset in conference tourney receiving automatic bids, NU did not receive a bid. BC’s teams made the NIT with worse conference records or worse overall records. During one BC season, NU was 8-8 in the conference, but benefited from Indiana and Iowa being down due to issues. I believe Indiana’s coach Kelvin Sampson was fired due to recruiting violations and the program was in bad shape.

As for Loyola, in 1985, they had a great season behind the NCAA leading scorer Alfredrick Hughes and lost to a loaded Georgetown team in the Sweet 16 led by HOF Patrick Ewing and NBA players Reggie Williams and David Wingate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT