ADVERTISEMENT

Brown is gone

In 2015-2016, Collins’ third season, NU went 20-12 and 8-10 in the conference which was as solid of a season as any during the BC Era or before. However, due to new NIT rules making it mandatory for teams from mid-majors who won their regular season title who were upset in conference tourney receiving automatic bids, NU did not receive a bid.

This is the second time you've stated this and this is the second time I will point out that those "new NIT rules" were put in place prior to the 2006 season and were therefore in place for all four of BC's NIT teams. NU missed the NIT in 2016 because they played a laughably terrible schedule and didn't beat anyone with a pulse. Mid-major auto bids had nothing to do with it.

During one BC season, NU was 8-8 in the conference, but benefited from Indiana and Iowa being down due to issues. I believe Indiana’s coach Kelvin Sampson was fired due to recruiting violations and the program was in bad shape.

That was 03-04, and while that was indeed the weakest year for the conference in recent memory (until this year), and Indiana had their first losing season in decades, Mike Davis was Indiana's coach. They were still two years away from hiring Sampson.

This is the second time you've stated this and this is the second time I will point out that those "new NIT rules" were put in place prior to the 2006 season and were therefore in place for all four of BC's NIT teams. NU missed the NIT in 2016 because they played a laughably terrible schedule and didn't beat anyone with a pulse. Mid-major auto bids had nothing to do with it.

That was 03-04, and while that was indeed the weakest year for the conference in recent memory (until this year), and Indiana had their first losing season in decades, Mike Davis was Indiana's coach. They were still two years away from hiring Sampson.
You don't really believe or expect us to believe that those mid-majors bids had nothing to do with NU missing the NIT that year, do you?

Unreal. Someone should tell Rutgers that their Scarlet Knight is offensive. They could be the Scarlets. Except this would remind some of Gone With The Wind and white supremacy in the days of plantations ("Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn"). So they could shorten it to the Scars.

How about the "Black Knights" better known as Army

Too funny Styre. There have only been four NU teams who have won 20 games in the past 50 seasons. Winning 20 games and 8 conference games at NU is a big deal. The historic 24-12 NCAA tourney team three years ago and Collins' third season team of 2015-16 which went 20-12 and 8-10 in the conference. Those are facts. As for the 2003-04 NU team that went 8-8 in conference during a historically weak Big 10 season. That team went 14-15 or 6-7 in the non-conference including losses to UIC and Mississippi Valley State at home. Not good.

As for the argument that NU did not make the NIT in 2015-16, there were a lot of upsets in the mid-major conference tournament that year. Too bad you believe in alternative facts. One upset was by a team who pulled a rabbit out and beat the No. 1 seeded Patriot League team Bucknell in double OT and yes, that was your new favorite team Holy Cross.

Too funny Styre. There have only been four NU teams who have won 20 games in the past 50 seasons. Winning 20 games and 8 conference games at NU is a big deal. The historic 24-12 NCAA tourney team three years ago and Collins' third season team of 2015-16 which went 20-12 and 8-10 in the conference. Those are facts. As for the 2003-04 NU team that went 8-8 in conference during a historically weak Big 10 season. That team went 14-15 or 6-7 in the non-conference including losses to UIC and Mississippi Valley State at home. Not good.

As for the argument that NU did not make the NIT in 2015-16, there were a lot of upsets in the mid-major conference tournament that year. Too bad you believe in alternative facts. One upset was by a team who pulled a rabbit out and beat the No. 1 seeded Patriot League team Bucknell in double OT and yes, that was your new favorite team Holy Cross.
NU would've still made the NIT in 2011 and 2012 if the same number of automatic qualifiers from 2016 (15) occurred in those years. In fact, there were 14 automatic qualifiers in 2011, so once again, you aren't making your point here.

I never again want to be in a position where we're debating whether NU "deserved the NIT bid and got robbed" again.

From here on out - any season that does not end in March games on CBS (or TNT or TBS or TruTV) is a failure. Full stop.

This was Nate Taphorn's and Sanjay Lumpkin's and Patrick Baldwin's eternal gift to us. (The guys that were still part of this year's team helped too.)

Fact is, Indiana made the NIT last year with a 7-11 BT record and 16-14 overall. Obviously, Northwestern's 20-12, 8-10 was a lot better than that. Bubble was softer in 2016-17, period.

Did I miss something. Didn't this staff recruit BMAC, Law, Pardon, Lindsey, Gaines , Turner and three highly recruited new freshman. Let's see there are possibly two misses Vassar and brown. Doesn't sound like a lot of failures.

Let's not forget potential misses in Falzon and Rap. If you are going to grade Gaines, Law and Pardon, you can't skip them.

As we currently sit:
A: BMac, Pardon, Law
B: Lindsey
C: Skelly, Gaines, Turner
D: Falzon, RI
F: Vassar, Brown

Pretty even distribution but sub C average. Therefore, I think it fair to say that it is a 50/50 chance they find a player that will fit and play at the level expected when recruited. Now, there appears to be an 80% chance the player will NOT be a failure. But I think we want the A's and B's, yes?

NU would've still made the NIT in 2011 and 2012 if the same number of automatic qualifiers from 2016 (15) occurred in those years. In fact, there were 14 automatic qualifiers in 2011, so once again, you aren't making your point here.

This is walker here. Think Wrassler level of intellect. He is simply a Purple Troll.

Let's not forget potential misses in Falzon and Rap. If you are going to grade Gaines, Law and Pardon, you can't skip them.

As we currently sit:

Pretty even distribution but sub C average. Therefore, I think it fair to say that it is a 50/50 chance they find a player that will fit and play at the level expected when recruited. Now, there appears to be an 80% chance the player will NOT be a failure. But I think we want the A's and B's, yes?
Purely on freshman year starting (yes ik law was jnjured and that's why) and potential (although I am not near as high on him as others) I would guess falzon ends at C. He seems to have the potential to be decent to slightly above average rebounder sub part defender and solid deep threat with the occasional high scoring game. You can see the potential and it just hasn't come together yet. Although injuries could keep him at that D rating. Do we call players plagued by injuries a recruiting failure? Because I don't really know if you can predict that. Ya a lot of this is way to early to rate as you say. Like Gaines 1 year isn't enough. same with RI who had one 1 year of eligibility that we really never saw him play. I do think we can Grade Law and Pardon though as regardless of what happens next year I think they deserve A's. Other than that way to early and we are guessing potential (which I'd also bump Gaines up to B if guessing on potential). What makes you think Turner is a C? (I have no idea haven't seen him play and watched no highlights genuinely curious)

Purely on freshman year starting (yes ik law was jnjured and that's why) and potential (although I am not near as high on him as others) I would guess falzon ends at C. He seems to have the potential to be decent to slightly above average rebounder sub part defender and solid deep threat with the occasional high scoring game. You can see the potential and it just hasn't come together yet. Although injuries could keep him at that D rating. Do we call players plagued by injuries a recruiting failure? Because I don't really know if you can predict that. Ya a lot of this is way to early to rate as you say. Like Gaines 1 year isn't enough. same with RI who had one 1 year of eligibility that we really never saw him play. I do think we can Grade Law and Pardon though as regardless of what happens next year I think they deserve A's. Other than that way to early and we are guessing potential (which I'd also bump Gaines up to B if guessing on potential). What makes you think Turner is a C? (I have no idea haven't seen him play and watched no highlights genuinely curious)

Turner has not played yet, has not exceed expectations nor fallen below. Thus average. Remember, I do not agree with grading before the career is over. I was responded to a poster that graded the successes and ignored the failures on the current roster.

Reactions: ThatkidfromHolland
You don't really believe or expect us to believe that those mid-majors bids had nothing to do with NU missing the NIT that year, do you?

That is exactly what I believe, yes.

This is a very good attempt at listing a lot of true, yet irrelevant information to distract from the fact that you got caught pushing a falsehood.

As for the argument that NU did not make the NIT in 2015-16, there were a lot of upsets in the mid-major conference tournament that year. Too bad you believe in alternative facts.

On average, there are 10.5 automatic bids handed out to the NIT every year, so we see that there were 4 or 5 more automatic bids (15 total) than usual in the 2016 NIT. Therefore, if NU was in the first 4 or 5 out of the NIT, it would be reasonable to say that they were denied a spot by an unusually high number of auto bids.

When we look at the primary selection criterion, RPI, we see that there were 27 teams ahead of NU that did not get selected to the NIT. (And that's not counting the teams that ranked ahead of NU that got automatic bids, meaning they would arguably have been in ahead of NU anyway.) I think it's fair to say that NU was not in the first 4 or 5 out.

But yeah, alternative facts.

Fact is, Indiana made the NIT last year with a 7-11 BT record and 16-14 overall. Obviously, Northwestern's 20-12, 8-10 was a lot better than that. Bubble was softer in 2016-17, period.

Indiana was RPI 81 last year, which is bubble territory for the NIT. In 2016, we were RPI 117, which is not.

Indiana was RPI 81 last year, which is bubble territory for the NIT. In 2016, we were RPI 117, which is not.
Colorado at 101 also got in at-large last year. Didn't realize NU's 20-12 team was quite that low. A little like Nebraska this year, unluckily played too many BIG bottom feeders that year.

As we currently sit:

Don't think you can label injured players as recruiting failures, since that is nothing that the coaches can control. Also giving Turner a rating is absurd since he hasn't played a minute for NU. How about Benson and Ash. They probably should also get a incomplete at this time but certainly not a D grade.

Reactions: Medill90
Turner hasn't sniffed the court in an NU uniform. Yet you can already grade him. How'd the 2018-19 season turn out? Your predictive powers will save me a lot of anxiety! Dang!!!;););)
He wasn't eligible to play because of transfer rules. Don't think you can count that as not being able to sniff the court.

The MSVS game was not at home, and they were 22-7 that year and made the tourney.

Did I miss something. Didn't this staff recruit BMAC, Law, Pardon, Lindsey, Gaines , Turner and three highly recruited new freshman. Let's see there are possibly two misses Vassar and brown. Doesn't sound like a lot of failures.

Don't think you can label injured players as recruiting failures, since that is nothing that the coaches can control. Also giving Turner a rating is absurd since he hasn't played a minute for NU. How about Benson and Ash. They probably should also get a incomplete at this time but certainly not a D grade.

Forgot about Benson - put him in the C category for me.

willy - I don't think grades before the career is over makes any sense. You were grading out successes, skipping failures in an earlier that included the current roster. As for Turner, neither a failure nor success at this point, thus C average. And I think coaches get lucky with some players, not so lucky with others. Therefore, along with the credit comes the blame. RI arrived and entered the MB program and never produced. For all we know know, he was injured due to some weird practice exercise (not saying this is true!!!) - we simply do not, and will never, know why RI did not produce at NU and who is to blame. So, CCC gets the weight.

Ash was a BC recruit.

Thanks, Captain Obvious. The point was, how could xyclon bob grade him when he is sitting out? Duh.

Turner has not played yet, has not exceed expectations nor fallen below. Thus average. Remember, I do not agree with grading before the career is over. I was responded to a poster that graded the successes and ignored the failures on the current roster.

Perhaps he meant Tap or Sanjay?
That, or perhaps BC made the initial recruiting contacts with or started following Ash...not very likely but in principle possible...in any case, CCC would have been ultimately responsible for choosing to continue the recruiting process for a couple of years, and eventually signing him.

I'll let you guys fight yhe Ash silliness. I'll ignore the hypocrisy of what happens on Collins' "watch" and what doesn't.

I prefer to help those of you keeping score at home. We can now add "weird practice exercise" to the list of Bob's speculation of why RI has been injured. The list also includes:

* Collins could have "chased an injury prone star"
* "His staff failed to get him healthy."

Amazingly, all of this points back to Collins. It couldnt have just happened.

I'll let you guys fight yhe Ash silliness. I'll ignore the hypocrisy of what happens on Collins' "watch" and what doesn't.

I prefer to help those of you keeping score at home. We can now add "weird practice exercise" to the list of Bob's speculation of why RI has been injured. The list also includes:

* Collins could have "chased an injury prone star"
* "His staff failed to get him healthy."

Amazingly, all of this points back to Collins. It couldnt have just happened.
What does "weird practice exercise"mean? Did that come from someone I have banned perhaps?

The story I heard on his second injury does suggest that he is likely injury prone. However that story, if true, would suggest that it had nothing to do with how Collins or the NU medical team managed the rehab process.

Perhaps he meant Tap or Sanjay?
That, or perhaps BC made the initial recruiting contacts with or started following Ash...not very likely but in principle possible...in any case, CCC would have been ultimately responsible for choosing to continue the recruiting process for a couple of years, and eventually signing him.
Well, he was grading the players on this team, so he couldn't have meant Tap or Sanjay.

Rather than your building an elaborate goofy explanation, the truth is he just made a mistake?

Dang!!!

Reactions: IGNORE2
What does "weird practice exercise"mean? Did that come from someone I have banned perhaps?

You're really missing out on the detailed explanation behind it, Ricko. It's really well researched and objective viewpoint with all sorts of documention behind it. :rolleyes:

Another point for the Ignore button.

Reactions: ricko654321
Turner hasn't sniffed the court in an NU uniform. Yet you can already grade him. How'd the 2018-19 season turn out? Your predictive powers will save me a lot of anxiety! Dang!!!;););)

This. Plus Gaines is at least a B based on his play as a Freshman. Maybe even an A.

Reactions: Medill90
This. Plus Gaines is at least a B based on his play as a Freshman. Maybe even an A.

I agree. Gaines was a freshman last season, and as one would want Freshmen to do, he improved over the course of the season. First part of the season he might grade out to a C, but the latter part he was a B+ or better.

I agree. Gaines was a freshman last season, and as one would want Freshmen to do, he improved over the course of the season. First part of the season he might grade out to a C, but the latter part he was a B+ or better.

just building on Evanston and DaCat comments....Gaines was a meaningful contributor and had an Big Ten upperclassman's physicality about this play....no shortage of comments about areas of improvement, which makes his development this summer almost as exciting a story as all the frosh coming in.

I've not written off Rap. 6 10 doesn't grow on trees and he moved well for a guy with a busted wing. He'll be an academic junior next year, very different perspective than when he game in as a greenhorn. I get that the adjustment to the college game has been slow, but health and time on the court has a way of fixing things.

I will have to search the archives, but I swear there were much higher predictions for Gaines on this Board pre season. And if so, and if you award an A for his actual contribution, what would you award if he actually achieve as predicted? A++++? Or what if he had come in and preform at BMac freshman level? A++++++++?

Go find a participation trophy and give it a hug.

I will have to search the archives, but I swear there were much higher predictions for Gaines on this Board pre season. And if so, and if you award an A for his actual contribution, what would you award if he actually achieve as predicted? A++++? Or what if he had come in and preform at BMac freshman level? A++++++++?

Not to butt in, but I'm procrastinating on a piece of work.

From memory there was excitement about Gaines because he got props for his performance at a Spring All Star game...I want to say Nike. And then B Mac said in the preseason that he'd play a lot and was good. So there's that.

I think the oversell was on the offense...the narrative is that he could take it to the hole and convert at will. The undersell is that no one had any idea what a tough m**********r he was on defense.

If there were high expectations for Gaines, I don't think they included him playing 28-30 minutes per game by end of the season and doing a solid job especially on defense. Of course injuries played a part in his extended minutes, but he stepped up and performed when needed. He still has room for improvement obviously, but most sane people would say that he played better than a C grade by the end of the year.

If there were high expectations for Gaines, I don't think they included him playing 28-30 minutes per game by end of the season and doing a solid job especially on defense. Of course injuries played a part in his extended minutes, but he stepped up and performed when needed. He still has room for improvement obviously, but most sane people would say that he played better than a C grade by the end of the year.

Apparently, all the whiners convinced LouV and the powers that be to severely limit the search-ability of the archives... Fortunately, with a few internet skills, I was able to capture one thread. Now, since LouV protects the outlandishly outspoken by hiding their former claims, we will have to settle for these and my recollection. (I have a hunch that might lead me to more...)

I am boldly predicting that Gaines will assert himself and *take* the minutes - that he'll be too productive to justify even 20 minutes on the bench.
Gaines owned a scrimmage, didja hear?

:):rolleyes::p

Don't know how bold these are, but here goes:
* Dick Vitale will come to Evanston for at least one game. He may even refer to Gaines as a "Diaper Dandy". We'll roll our eyes, while secretly thinking it's cool, we've arrived.

Apparently, all the whiners convinced LouV and the powers that be to severely limit the search-ability of the archives... Fortunately, with a few internet skills, I was able to capture one thread. Now, since LouV protects the outlandishly outspoken by hiding their former claims, we will have to settle for these and my recollection. (I have a hunch that might lead me to more...)
Thanks for doing my work. I was pretty excited about the immediate prospects. To be fair, that was in the BOLD PREDICTIONS thread, which must be a sad trip to happier times.

You will be happy to learn that I did find a work around the imposed limitations of searching the archives. Sadly, today, its that screwy Walker Kid that goes under the bus. Some of these make me giggle - like the thread walker started stating the Gaines and a couple others were the key to NU in the Final Four...

Google Anthony Gaines 6'4" SG who according to reports likes to take the ball to the hoop which is unlike any player on the current roster.

Fitzphile and I agree, if you have patience and do not prematurely jump the gun, we will see what Collins is planning to do and his staff's ability to recruit all-around athletic basketball players. Anthony Gaines is a 6'5" or 6'4" SG who has the athletic ability to take the ball to the hole and dunk and play defense. He will fill a void at NU and hopefully, learn from Lindsey in Year 1. We are seeing NU recruit two way players and not one dimensional athletes of prior regimes. I would rather have a 6'5" SG who has hops than a 6'2"-6'3" tweener who played a lot down low like Goodwin. Gaines is a good fit and might develop under the tutelage of an excellent staff into something special.
Congrats to CC on getting his 11th recruit at NU and I for one am excited about Anthony Gaines and his potential. Smart decision for Gaines IMHO.

Sky is falling poster has reared his head. How about the sky is falling with the basketball recruiting still going with that premature prediction after getting a top 150 recruit in Gaines who was more highly rated out of high school than Brown who according to reports will be a solid contributor this season as backup PG. Yes, Brown will be the backup PG which is the simple answer to your endless confusion this offseason.

Big 10 leading scorer and team MVP for Iowa Peter Jok is a senior. NU will only lose Lumpkin and Taphorn next season and bring in talented 4-star forwards, Falzon and Ivanauskas and a talented frosh Anthony Gaines in next year. NU'S most talented player, Vic Law is a soph. Fake news? Too funny.

The ACC is toughest conference in the nation. The ACC will have 9 or maybe 10 teams make the tourney that makes Wake Forest have a very tough schedule and that is why their RPI is still 31 even with a 5-7 conference record. Dayton is NU's best victory prior to last night. Dayton is 19-5 with a RPI of 28 which means they will be in the tourney. And yes, everyone knows that if NU loses every game on the schedule the rest of the way and in the BTT, they will not make the tourney (deep thoughts by FS) but I do not believe that will happen if you have watched this team this year. Too bad you have and still have no clue what you are watching. BTW, next year NU will be better with 4-star players returning in Aaron Falzon and Rapolas Ivaunaskas with a talented freshmen in Anthony Gaines coming abroad and probably two additional talented players which will be NU's most talented team possibly ever but 100% more talented than any team in the BC era. But if they lose all 31 of their games they will not make the tourney following your ridiculous reasoning.

Purdue loses Swanigan, UW loses Hayes, Koenig, Indiana loses Bryant and maybe Blackmon, Maryland loses Trimble, MSU loses Bridges, UM loses Walton and Irvin, Illinois loses Hill, Morgan, Finke and Abrams. NU will add five new athletic players. Yes, Iowa and PSU are young so what? Brown, Benson, Falzon, Ivanauskas and Gaines are young. I think the last two scholarships will be filled by two talented players who want to be part of history and part of this upward bound program. The main players listed above were the main players in 7 of NU's 10 losses. So I think we will be in good shape next season.

Per Garry Parrish's Cbssports.com Too Early 2017-2018 Basketball Poll, NU comes in at no. 17. MSU is ranked no. 6, Minnesota is ranked no. 15 and Purdue is no. 24. Ranked no. 17 and 3rd in the Big 10 is a first and not surprising with the top 5 scorers returning and talented red shirts playing (Falzon and Ivaunauskas) and a talent freshman, Anthony Gaines arriving on campus.

As for Robbie Carmody and ND, they have recruited another 4 star SG in Prentiss Hubb so he will have competition to even get minutes in his first two seasons or more. Gaines is a late bloomer and that is why he moved from a 3-star to a 4-star player. I take the staff's view and Jon Rothstein's (cbssports college basketball expert) comment that Gaines is a talented 2 guard who can take the ball to the hole and has strong athleticism. So in that case and in many cases like McIntosh and Lindsey, players outperform their rankings. You root and watch Robbie and I will watch and root for Anthony over their careers and we will then judge who has a better career. IMHO, I think Anthony's career is on an upward trajectory and has a higher ceiling than Carmody. For example, many on this board thought a former top 100 recruit in Jaren Sina would have been fit at NU than Bryant McIntosh. You know how that turned out.

No one has seen any of the players play. I would wait until after the October 20th scrimmage at least to say whether a player like Rap is developing or not. Where were the reports about Ash coming from and what were the reports? I think that Rothstein's report that Gaines can play both PG and SG or is a combo guard might limit Ash's minutes even more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT