ADVERTISEMENT

Can West Coast Alum Represent?

DarthCat

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2001
One concern I had with the Big Ten Championship game was if our fan base would largely bow out of attending a bowl game after so many attended the BT Championship. I know that among my own group, while we had close to 20 come in for the BTC game, our large California contingent was largely absent.

I’ve been wondering if having the game in Cali, will we be able to pull fans largely who have been less likely to travel pretty far East for many of our last several bowl games. Remembering the incredible attendance for the Rose Bowl in 1995, and wondering just how large the West Coast NU alumni base is and if we can strongly represent even if we lost a large number of attendees who went to the BTC game.

Reactions: rmndcat
One concern I had with the Big Ten Championship game was if our fan base would largely bow out of attending a bowl game after so many attended the BT Championship. I know that among my own group, while we had close to 20 come in for the BTC game, our large California contingent was largely absent.

I’ve been wondering if having the game in Cali, will we be able to pull fans largely who have been less likely to travel pretty far East for many of our last several bowl games. Remembering the incredible attendance for the Rose Bowl in 1995, and wondering just how large the West Coast NU alumni base is and if we can strongly represent even if we lost a large number of attendees who went to the BTC game.

Yes

I really hope so. The kids really deserve it and it makes the game so much more enjoyable when our fans can make their presence known.

If we are able to pack our allotted seats with West Coasters, it would be another strong representation for the program.

We've already booked flights and hotel, and have a lot of California friends who are planning to attend. There's a ton of NU alumni out here, especially in the LA area, I think we are going to show up very well.

Reactions: harkesnu and zeek55
I'm not too worried about attendance. We have a lot of alums out on the West Coast that haven't had a shot recently at a Northwestern game. That Cal game in 2013 I guess, but that's not that recent...

Will be a rare chance, so I assume they represent well.

I really hope so. The kids really deserve it and it makes the game so much more enjoyable when our fans can make their presence known.

If we are able to pack our allotted seats with West Coasters, it would be another strong representation for the program.
Just take at the photos from the 96' Rose Bowl. 60 - 70% Purple!

They will show up in San Diego on New Year's Eve and in Palo Alto on August 31, 2019. I remember taking BART from downtown Oakland to Berkeley to see the Cats at Cal in 2013 and it was nearly all-purple.

Yeah, we had like 5-6k at the Cal game a few years ago...HUGE Northwestern alumni base (relative, of course) out on the west coast. Then the usual die-hards who go to bowls. My friend group is showing up in force from all over.

Reactions: MotownMedilldo
Yeah, we had like 5-6k at the Cal game a few years ago...HUGE Northwestern alumni base (relative, of course) out on the west coast. Then the usual die-hards who go to bowls. My friend group is showing up in force from all over.

Bodes well for possible purple (or road white, alternate grey, or Gothic) in Palo Alto on August 31, 2019. I only bring it up because I can't go to the Holiday Bowl due to a previously planned trip to Asia.

Not sure how well Utah fans travel but suspect more would have come from Oregon had that been the opponent. Would not be surprised to see a respectable Purple contingent relative to what Utah brings. There should be a lot of neutral seats as the Holiday tries to get the community involved and of course those from the nearby Navy and Marine bases are fully welcomed.

If it is as in past years there should be a Holiday Bowl Parade as well. Not quite on the scale of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, but balloons (of a smaller size) are featured.

Not sure how well Utah fans travel but suspect more would have come from Oregon had that been the opponent. Would not be surprised to see a respectable Purple contingent relative to what Utah brings. There should be a lot of neutral seats as the Holiday tries to get the community involved and of course those from the nearby Navy and Marine bases are fully welcomed.

If it is as in past years there should be a Holiday Bowl Parade as well. Not quite on the scale of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, but balloons (of a smaller size) are featured.
Utah is familiar with playing SDSU in the WAC and Mountain West conferences before they moved to the PAC12 so I think San Diego is a good destination for their fan base. Oregon fan base travels well and I think there are a lot of locals who are Ducks alums so maybe the Ducks would outdraw the Utes to the game. Hopefully a lot of NU fans especially those living in the west will be drawn to this game.

Represent what?, or whom? I am confused.

I don't know what pictures you are looking at, but it certainly wasn't 60 to 70 % purple. I was there and it was more like 20 to 30 % purple at best.
Disagree and so do the media folks. Yes, I was their also and their was mainly purple in 2/3 of the seats.

Disagree and so do the media folks. Yes, I was their also and their was mainly purple in 2/3 of the seats.

Hope you are right, but certainly not my recollection. I felt we were overwhelmed by the USC presence. Would like to see the pictures and media reports you reference.

I don't know what pictures you are looking at, but it certainly wasn't 60 to 70 % purple. I was there and it was more like 20 to 30 % purple at best.

Whoa, are you kidding? Lithograph is on my office wall and I’m looking at it right now. I’m not going to split hairs over 60 vs. 70%, but it was definitively over 50%. No question. Watch the game on YouTube and listen to the ThunderClap when Autry goes in to give us a 32-31 lead in the 4th. 20-30% of the crowd? Not even close.

Whoa, are you kidding? Lithograph is on my office wall and I’m looking at it right now. I’m not going to split hairs over 60 vs. 70%, but it was definitively over 50%. No question. Watch the game on YouTube and listen to the ThunderClap when Autry goes in to give us a 32-31 lead in the 4th. 20-30% of the crowd? Not even close.

Maybe it's because of where we were sitting. Terrible seats in the end zone. Certainly didn't feel or sound like a dominate NU crowd in the rest of the stadium.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT