ADVERTISEMENT

Charlie Moore

If they had a reason to non-count him, why didn't they? What benefit is there to waiting? Doesn't make sense.
Why would they non-count unless they needed the scholly? We didn't last year, we do this year.

Call it a favor to the kid for a free year of school.

(I realize that this is extreme pro-NU spin)

Unrelated to roster machinations, I think Bryant could play a really good off-guard with Isiah Brown or possibly Charlie Moore. Having a second strong ball-handler takes a ton of pressure off Law, Lindsey and Falzon to create their own shots, and it could give us a lot more options with Pardon pick-and-rolls. So I hope we can get Moore.

I agree. I think Bryant is a better off guard. A top 50 PG and Bryant is a great Big 10 Guard situation.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Why would they non-count unless they needed the scholly? We didn't last year, we do this year.

Call it a favor to the kid for a free year of school.

If he's reclassified as a non-counter, he keeps his scholarship, it just doesn't count against the scholarship limit. So how on earth is doing it this way a favor? He's left the basketball team and, to the extent that anyone cares about this, all this has done is generate questions about what's happening, negative rumors about his character, and suggestions from our fans to run him off campus.

If there's a legitimate reason to convert him to a non-counter, it's anything but a favor to let him keep the scholarship for a full year despite leaving the team. Just announce his career is over for whatever reason and if people ask why you're leaving the scholarship open, say you won't hand it out until you find a good fit.

If he's reclassified as a non-counter, he keeps his scholarship, it just doesn't count against the scholarship limit. So how on earth is doing it this way a favor? He's left the basketball team and, to the extent that anyone cares about this, all this has done is generate questions about what's happening, negative rumors about his character, and suggestions from our fans to run him off campus.

If there's a legitimate reason to convert him to a non-counter, it's anything but a favor to let him keep the scholarship for a full year despite leaving the team. Just announce his career is over for whatever reason and if people ask why you're leaving the scholarship open, say you won't hand it out until you find a good fit.
Perhaps we can't get him to a "non-counter" but would rather have to pull the scholarship altogether. In that case, giving him another year is absolutely a favor.

I should have been clearer, I don't think we could ever get him to non-counter status to where he keeps his scholarship but NU gets it back to use. I do think it's possible that there was a reason to pull it altogether and the staff chose not to do it last year but migh this year.

I should have been clearer, I don't think we could ever get him to non-counter status to where he keeps his scholarship but NU gets it back to use. I do think it's possible that there was a reason to pull it altogether and the staff chose not to do it last year but migh this year.

I find this unlikely, if only because most justifications for pulling the scholarship would not inspire the program to let him keep it for an extra year. But it's possible.

Illinois' Mr. Basketball, PG Charlie Moore of Morgan Park, has decommitted from Memphis and NU is interested according to the Sun-Times' Michael O'Brien.

O'Brien tweeted in the last hour: "Charlie Moore’s camp seems intrigued by #Northwestern. And yes, Moore has the grades." There was another Twitter report that NU had expressed interest within 10 minutes of the announcement.

So, obviously Collins is recruiting for this year like he has a scholarship available.

A lot of other schools are scrambling on Moore, so I'm not sure we should get our hopes up too much, but I thought the fact that NU is being aggressive here is noteworthy.
As a Morgan Park alumnus, I would be psyched to get an MPHi kid on the team.

Why unseemly? It's business as usual in major college athletics.
He would have already had 4 years and his RS was under the prior coaching staff and because of injury. If NU decides to go in a different direction because they feel that they have the position covered with better talent and his minutes going forward would be limited, other than being honest with him, do they owe him anything else?

Reactions: willycat
If they had a reason to non-count him, why didn't they? What benefit is there to waiting? Doesn't make sense.
Because they had no one else to bring fill an additional open spot so there was no need to push it. ALSO did not want to unbalance the roster that much as we were already bringing 3 plus JVZ. Maybe they could claim medical hardship for psych reasons but have been reluctant to do it because it would brand the kid. But he has been sort of holding the program hostage and while it did not matter much last year, going forward it sure looks like it does. So now, if they have someone to bring in, they give him an ultimatum.

... But he has been sort of holding the program hostage ...

I'm sorry to blow up one phrase. But this is the general tone of many about this situation, and it's pretty overblown.

A backup point guard and one scholarship position do not hold a program hostage. There are many more important issues that put a program in this spot before a bad decision on one kid and the NCAA regulations that the kid has the right to take advantage of and NU seems to be complying with.

Because they had no one else to bring fill an additional open spot so there was no need to push it. ALSO did not want to unbalance the roster that much as we were already bringing 3 plus JVZ. Maybe they could claim medical hardship for psych reasons but have been reluctant to do it because it would brand the kid. But he has been sort of holding the program hostage and while it did not matter much last year, going forward it sure looks like it does. So now, if they have someone to bring in, they give him an ultimatum.

How is leaving the scholarship open "pushing" anything?

Also -- all this speculation about his mental state and use of language like "holding the program hostage" is precisely why it's a terrible idea to do what you're suggesting they're doing. It makes the player, who has not violated any rules that we know of, into a villain and gives our fans an excuse to badmouth one of the "fine young men" that they would otherwise defend to the death.

How is leaving the scholarship open "pushing" anything?

Also -- all this speculation about his mental state and use of language like "holding the program hostage" is precisely why it's a terrible idea to do what you're suggesting they're doing. It makes the player, who has not violated any rules that we know of, into a villain and gives our fans an excuse to badmouth one of the "fine young men" that they would otherwise defend to the death.

Well said, Styre. Couldn't agree more.

I'm sorry to blow up one phrase. But this is the general tone of many about this situation, and it's pretty overblown.

A backup point guard and one scholarship position do not hold a program hostage. There are many more important issues that put a program in this spot before a bad decision on one kid and the NCAA regulations that the kid has the right to take advantage of and NU seems to be complying with.
He is taking an athletic scholarship and is providing nothing for the "pay" (about $300k) he is receiving. Since he is still on an athletic scholarship, it likely still includes books fees room and board and maybe even training table and stipends. Alternatives would seem to be that he could transfer to somewhere else and play freeing up the scholarship. He could return to the team to help in whatever ways that he can. He might also find a way to "retire from basketball" and they could find him another way to take care of much of the costs of the education (another kind of scholarship and aid) also freeing up the scholarship. I think something like this is the route Turner may have taken for at least the next year.

While it is true we do not have knowledge of all the inner workings, from the outside, it sure seems like thus far,he has chosen none of the above continuing to tie up the scholarship, preventing it from being used by someone actually working with the team. IF it continues beyond this year, I would suggest that holding the program hostage is exactly the right term.

Maybe I have a somewhat different perspective because I actually paid the full price for my education through personal savings, summer jobs, coop and other means. it was a hardship and had to be pretty frugal. While I was going, some of my classmates went through ROTC to pay for their schooling and that also meant a 4 year commitment after they got the degree. This is like the ROTC candidate going through one year, deciding to back out and yet still expecting the government to continue to pay for three more years and eliminate the service requirements. Think that the government would go along with that? If the kid backed out, they had to come up with a different way to pay the bill.

Would bet that a schlorship would open, if young Mr. Moore chooses to play for NU.

He could return to the team to help in whatever ways that he can.

Could he? If he could return to the team, why hasn't he?

He might also find a way to "retire from basketball" and they could find him another way to take care of much of the costs of the education (another kind of scholarship and aid) also freeing up the scholarship.

So you think that if he quits the school should keep paying for his education? That doesn't line up with your ROTC analogy, where you appear to be arguing that they shouldn't.

While it is true we do not have knowledge of all the inner workings, from the outside, it sure seems like thus far,he has chosen none of the above continuing to tie up the scholarship, preventing it from being used by someone actually working with the team. IF it continues beyond this year, I would suggest that holding the program hostage is exactly the right term.

You're just making things up, saying that he has those made-up options available to him, and then accusing him of holding the team hostage if he doesn't do any of the things that you've arbitrarily decided he can do.

This is like the ROTC candidate going through one year, deciding to back out and yet still expecting the government to continue to pay for three more years and eliminate the service requirements. Think that the government would go along with that? If the kid backed out, they had to come up with a different way to pay the bill.

Sure sounds like it wasn't the player who decided to back out, huh?

It only works if he really has a disabling injury. Needs a doctor's opinion to that effect. Otherwise guys could be stashed on medical for no reason.

I think the ground work is there. Tap has been plagued with foot problems and foot problems can be notoriously disabling. I'm sure NU could find a doc from their stable to support retirement.

Source? Otherwise, that's a really crappy and uncalled for thing to say..

Kiss off. MESSAGE BOARD, NOT AP WIRE. A place where people go to talk, speculate, conjecture. Too thin skinned? Ignore is your friend. Or try to offer a meaningful post - an understandable challenge for you now that the BC - CCC has been beat beyond death...

Last edited:
Reactions: JournCat
I "liked" Virginia's post, but what he said deserves to be reiterated. There's no need for this kind of baseless, ignorant speculation. There are plenty of guards who struggle as frosh. Quinn Cook, formerly of Duke, for example.

Like Vassar?

Some think NU gratuitously gives out money. Clearly, these people are disconnected from the realities in Evanston. But, then again, many here also don't understand the nature and purpose of a message board. For such smart people, there are so many closed, simple or small minds here ;)

What exactly was a crappy and uncalled for thing to say? Oh never mind; have I mentioned previously how much I truly love this Ignore feature?

Me too. Without ever using it, the volume of idiotic responses demanding my attention has fallen dramatically. I'm ready for the genius from Virginia to find and employ the feature.

Could he? If he could return to the team, why hasn't he?
Good question.

So you think that if he quits the school should keep paying for his education? That doesn't line up with your ROTC analogy, where you appear to be arguing that they shouldn't.
Since Id o not know the nature of how he separated from the team, i am giving him the benefit of the doubt. The school offers combinations of scholarships, grants in aid etc to everyday students and he would be entitled to go after any of those just like average students if he wants to stay at NU. But I would guess that athletic scholarships are more generous and he should not be entitled to the added benefits.\ as he is no longer a student athlete

You're just making things up, saying that he has those made-up options available to him, and then accusing him of holding the team hostage if he doesn't do any of the things that you've arbitrarily decided he can do. I have to think that a number of those options are available to him. If he wants to continue to play BB, there would likely be some taker for his services. Scholarships at NU are often need based and he is likely to qualify for one or more. If he was not asked to leave the team then it is likely he could return in some capacity and if he was, then could the reasons be serious? And I would guess that there are options that are not listed above as well. Yet so far, he has apparently not chosen any of them and is instead for at least this year apparently still holding the athletic scholarship. I am just saying that if it continues beyond this year, why? And at that point, what would you call it? .

Sure sounds like it wasn't the player who decided to back out, huh?

He could return to the team to help in whatever ways that he can. He might also find a way to "retire from basketball" and they could find him another way to take care of much of the costs of the education (another kind of scholarship and aid) also freeing up the scholarship. I think something like this is the route Turner may have taken for at least the next year.

Maybe I have a somewhat different perspective because I actually paid the full price for my education through personal savings, summer jobs, coop and other means. it was a hardship and had to be pretty frugal. While I was going, some of my classmates went through ROTC to pay for their schooling and that also meant a 4 year commitment after they got the degree. This is like the ROTC candidate going through one year, deciding to back out and yet still expecting the government to continue to pay for three more years and eliminate the service requirements. Think that the government would go along with that? If the kid backed out, they had to come up with a different way to pay the bill.

Tough for you. Perhaps you should have practiced harder in pee wee. Athletes in college already get a raw deal. If you believe Vassar quit, then you are a fool. If you believe NU is voluntarily letting him keep the schollie, then you are also naive. Unless NU tells Vassar to return to the team, and then, if he breaks a rule or a covenant of the scholarship agreement, he will remain on scholarship and count against the cap.

Want to make an argument? Suggest CCC should bring Vassar back and see what Vassar's reaction is. But your whole post is simply dumb.

Scholarships are four-year commitments these days, so if you're "Vassared," that means you're keeping your scholarship, there is no magic "process" to open up the scholarship for another player, unless there is a transfer.

I think that's what happened. They talked Vassar into transferring - remember it was announced, then I think he changed his mind. Once he announced, there are administrative steps to formally break the schollie. I think that NU simply assumed Vassar would go and when he didn't, they no longer had grounds to retake the schollie.

I think that's what happened. They talked Vassar into transferring - remember it was announced,

The announcement said he notified the staff that he would leave.

I don't doubt that he may have looked around, found no takers and then wanted back on the team.

But the assessment by the staff would seem to be that the team is better one player down sans Vasser than with him on the roster.

There may be a message there (as Kelly indicated).

with all the sour grapes against recruiting habits of other schools, i wonder if we would collectively b upset at cc for moving vasser or lumpkin off the books. We should embrace whatever cc does to advance this historically backward program.

The announcement said he notified the staff that he would leave.

I don't doubt that he may have looked around, found no takers and then wanted back on the team.

But the assessment by the staff would seem to be that the team is better one player down sans Vasser than with him on the roster.

There may be a message there (as Kelly indicated).

What I find peculiar is that when someone here wants to surmise that Vassar is not wanted on the team due to his persona, Va and yesterday don't appear, demand a source and cry afoul. Apparently 'attacking' a young man's character once he no longer compete's for NU but holds one of their schollies is license for the peanut gallery to negatively speculate about the young man. But should one of us (me) want to speculate about other members of the team or the coach - even if there is a sense of logic to the speculation, then I'm a crappy person doing crappy things....

C'mon Va, yesterday - stand up to Medill and defend this young man's honor... nevermind, crawl back into your holes...

Tough for you. Perhaps you should have practiced harder in pee wee. Athletes in college already get a raw deal. If you believe Vassar quit, then you are a fool. If you believe NU is voluntarily letting him keep the schollie, then you are also naive. Unless NU tells Vassar to return to the team, and then, if he breaks a rule or a covenant of the scholarship agreement, he will remain on scholarship and count against the cap.

Want to make an argument? Suggest CCC should bring Vassar back and see what Vassar's reaction is. But your whole post is simply dumb.
I am just saying that it is likely that he has a number of alternatives that thus far he has chosen not to take. The result is a handicap for the program. This past year, it was manageable but going forward it is more of an issue.

Apparently 'attacking' a young man's character once he no longer compete's for NU but holds one of their schollies is license for the peanut gallery to negatively speculate about the young man. But should one of us (me) want to speculate about other members of the team or the coach - even if there is a sense of logic to the speculation, then I'm a crappy person doing crappy things.....

I don't know anything about his character and I've repeatedly supported his wishes to stay at NU and take as many classes as he can.

But I did see him play his freshmen year and I get why (from a strictly basketball perspective), when he expressed a desire to leave, the coaches grabbed that opportunity and never let go. ("Loved having you, too bad it didn't work out, don't let the door hit ya...")

I believe they experienced that he's not a point guard and is never going to be a point guard.

On the subject of character, he can be a poor fit in non basketball areas without being of poor character.

I am just saying that it is likely that he has a number of alternatives that thus far he has chosen not to take. The result is a handicap for the program. This past year, it was manageable but going forward it is more of an issue.

What alternatives do you think he might have? We know he has the opportunity to attend one of the finest universities in the world for free. It would appear he no longer has the opportunity to play bball there. Suggests that he holds education above playing ball - something we typical applaud...until we turn against a student. But I will assume you are not such a hypocrite. So, what other opportunities do you think Vassar might have that include an education equal or greater to the one from NU at no cost?

And before you tell me about your hard luck life - this kid positioned himself to EARN a full ride from a D1 top university. Whether or not he is good enough now is irrelevant. He put in the work, developed his game, was given the offer (no gun to CCC's head) and accepted it as the best offer to him at the time. There is absolutely nothing wrong with him riding out that opportunity unless something better comes along. So, what better opportunity do you think exists for him and why is it better?

I don't know anything about his character and I've repeatedly supported his wishes to stay at NU and take as many classes as he can.

But I did see him play his freshmen year and I get why (from a strictly basketball perspective), when he expressed a desire to leave, the coaches grabbed that opportunity and never let go. ("Loved having you, too bad it didn't work out, don't let the door hit ya...")

I believe they experienced that he's not a point guard and is never going to be a point guard.

On the subject of character, he can be a poor fit in non basketball areas without being of poor character.

Believe or not, I have no issue with your post. It bothers me that VA and Yesterday attack me for speculating possible scholarship openings to be a recurrence of the Vassar scenario sans the scholarship issue in the direction of Ash. (The two players have similar stats after one year of play.) I see little difference in our posts and feel both are fair discussion topics for a message board. It is the hypocrisy that those two look past any potential negative read of a student they no longer support while vocally condemning the same for a current team member that frustrates me. I would love to see them explain their hypocrisy, or for other board members to call them out. But while the crickets chirp, I guess we can continue to discuss the topic of the day - who might be added tot he team next year.

I'd take Moore and move BM to shooting guard. As Iowa proved for awhile, sharing duties like that can be effective if both can shoot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT