ADVERTISEMENT

Charlie Moore

Couldn't it also be that NU told Vassar it would honor his scholarship as long as a scholarship exists, but that it could be awarded to someone else at any time? It works that way with walk-ons sometimes--a guy might get an otherwise unfilled scholarship when he's a junior, but loses the scholarship as a senior because it goes to a new recruit.

Yes, that's definitely possible, but again, why keep it a secret?

I hope that's what's going on. It would reflect best on everyone involved.

Yes, that's definitely possible, but again, why keep it a secret?

I hope that's what's going on. It would reflect best on everyone involved.

It's not the kind of thing they can put out in a press release. And maybe no one has asked.

Somebody should ask...{crickets to the silent Lou V, lurking in the background...}

Lou does a wonderful job with this site and I'm sure has plenty of more important rivals and non rivals obligations other than trying to dig up information on a story that's got little traction since March of last year (outside of a handful of posters around here).

If Charlie Moore really wants to come to Evanston and is offered a scholarship, more information on the situation will start to come out. You won't hear much from NU until that occurs.

Patience.

Last edited:
I love Lou too Columbus, but what thread has gotten more action in the last month than the Vassar situation? And how tough would it be to call or email NU's SID and ask for clarification? I'd do it myself but they wouldn't know me from Adam. But Lou, or one of his Rival minions, might actually get a response.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Does NU just hand over money to minority students? Vassar is from a well-educated family.
I think your right Glades that kind or aid doesn't seem to be available to families with two stable incomes even if the incomes are not real impressive. I always thought my kids would be eligible for some aid because we didn't earn ton of money but I found you have to be pretty close to the poverty line to qualify and NU doesn't offer academic grants so aid might be limited.

Lou does a wonderful job with this site and I'm sure has plenty of more important rivals and non rivals obligations other than trying to dig up information on a story that's got little traction since March of last year (outside of a handful of posters around here).

Actually, the Vassar thing has popped up on several Boards. And Lou takes the time to prepare numerous stories that get little traction - I'm sure the web analytics support this notion as does the the Rock subscription base. I would be willing to wager the title of my car - it's Italian and pretty new - versus yours - don't even need to know what it is - that if Lou wrote an article with 'on the record' information from Vassar or the admin on this topic answering all the Vassar questions that have been raised, it would rank higher than every non-commit story he has written since basketball season ended, using web analytics as the objective ranking tool. (which Rivals - ie Yahoo employ heavily) We could agree to rank by page hits, time spent on the page, unique visitors - I'm pretty open here.

So if Lou has the time to write a bunch of stories that few visit and fewer read in their entirety, then I'm sure he has the time for this one. Now, there may be other factors in play that tie his hands and I can respect that decision. It would be nice to see one of the free minds at the Daily, or InsideNU, take a stab at it though. NU used to be a hotbed for journalism and taking on controversial topics used to be a badge of honor in journalism before sensationalism and reality TV took over the world.

I love Lou too Columbus, but what thread has gotten more action in the last month than the Vassar situation? And how tough would it be to call or email NU's SID and ask for clarification? I'd do it myself but they wouldn't know me from Adam. But Lou, or one of his Rival minions, might actually get a response.

I would agree that the Vassar thing has become a bigger thing around here, but until yesterday I didn't see a recent article referencing it anywhere on the internet. In my opinion, there's really just one poster on this site who has been driving that discussion for the past several months. Not that there is anything wrong with that and I get that people are going to speculate now that the off season has hit, but I have a hard time seeing anyone from NU commenting on the situation it until they absolutely have to (former players and current recruiting targets - which are against NCAA regulations - are not things this or any staff really likes to discuss).

Seems like a dead horse, for the time being.

Last edited:
Well Columbus, as a former reporter, I can tell you there are many different ways to skin a Cat. I'd be willing to bet there are at least a dozen sources (current and former NU players) who could give you plenty of off-the-record insight into the Vassar situation. Which can then lead to on-the-record questions. And frequently your story can center more about the "unanswered questions" rather than the answers. But hey, I'm not asking for an expose. Just a tiny bit of effort would be great. A couple of phone calls to Collins, Vassar and the NU athletic department would be a great start -- or even emails. One thing I know -- if you don't TRY to answer the questions, you certainly will not GET any answers.

Well Columbus, as a former reporter, I can tell you there are many different ways to skin a Cat. I'd be willing to bet there are at least a dozen sources (current and former NU players) who could give you plenty of off-the-record insight into the Vassar situation. Which can then lead to on-the-record questions. And frequently your story can center more about the "unanswered questions" rather than the answers. But hey, I'm not asking for an expose. Just a tiny bit of effort would be great. A couple of phone calls to Collins, Vassar and the NU athletic department would be a great start -- or even emails. One thing I know -- if you don't TRY to answer the questions, you certainly will not GET any answers.

Fair enough and perhaps there is interest to warrant those procedures. Either way, I appreciate the insight, Idaho.

Thank you Idaho for bringing some rationality to this.

There have been stories in various outlets about Vassar - none answering questions. All leaving with the fact he is occupying a basketball scholarship but not participating with the team in any capacity. After that point, all is speculation and deduction.

And I hit this topic a long time ago noting the absence of a logical explanation from NU or Vassar. Ultimately, I heeded to a request to relax as it would be a one year thing. So, I did noting if that didn't play out, I would revisit. This is impacting our roster significantly - we have needs for next year and the year after that. This schollie is not simple excess at this point in time.

I was right then in noting this was a significant event and should be addressed - it is newsworthy and discussion worthy. And it does not appear to be a one year anomaly. The same people that fought me off then plus a few more that despise by presence now prefer to bash me than discuss the topic. And I believe Lou's silence is deafening. I haven't been booted from the board, he hasn't responded to questions about doing news stories - these all speak volumes.

Last edited:
Things must be changing regarding the Vassar scholarship, if it's true that Moore, Barry and others are still being pursued by NU. If not, then that scholarship is coming from SOMEWHERE.

I am just speculating here, but I would imagine that Vassar keeping his scholarship is contingent upon his not discussing his situation with the media. Violation of this term is likely cause for termination of scholarship. The NU media services department holds a hard line on interviews not in their presence. (Alternatively, there likely is no separate agreement because he did sign a four year scholarship, but he rightfully is hesitant to talk to anybody. Also, he's not on Twitter, I don't think. )

That said, it would nice to get a 'no comment' or more from NU.

I am just speculating here, but I would imagine that Vassar keeping his scholarship is contingent upon his not discussing his situation with the media. Violation of this term is likely cause for termination of scholarship. The NU media services department holds a hard line on interviews not in their presence. (Alternatively, there likely is no separate agreement because he did sign a four year scholarship, but he rightfully is hesitant to talk to anybody. Also, he's not on Twitter, I don't think. )

That said, it would nice to get a 'no comment' or more from NU.

He is on Twitter (@JohnnieVassar)...I still follow him, even though he doesn't tweet much...and never about anything that has been mentioned in this thread.

In recent days, he Retweeted Jon Rothstein's Tweet about Sacred Heart transfer, Cane Broome committing to Cincinnati...also was included in a tweet with 2 other people referencing UTA...don't know what any of this means, if anything, but NUCat320 had mentioned Twitter, so I thought I'd check his recent activity.

Last edited:
He is on Twitter (@JohnnieVassar)...I still follow him, even though he doesn't tweet much...and never about anything that has been mentioned in this thread.

In recent days, he Retweeted Jon Rothstein's Tweet about Sacred Heart transfer, Cane Broome committing to Cincinnatti...also was included in a tweet with 2 other people referencing UTA...don't know what any of this means, if anything, but NUCat320 had mentioned Twitter, so I thought I'd check his recent activity.

I dont tweet so would you answer a question or two?

Did he ever tweet about commiting at NU? Did he ever tweet about transferring?

I dont tweet so would you answer a question or two?

Did he ever tweet about committing at NU? Did he ever tweet about transferring?
He just had the standard tweets about committing, and signing his NLI...he did Retweet somebody wishing him luck wherever he wound up after the intent to transfer was announced...nothing else there.

Also, he tweeted @ Araina Grande asking her to prom, and appeared to be at Welsh-Ryan to hoop, I would assume. The picture was of the practice court) as recently as October of 2015.

Last edited:
I think your right Glades that kind or aid doesn't seem to be available to families with two stable incomes even if the incomes are not real impressive. I always thought my kids would be eligible for some aid because we didn't earn ton of money but I found you have to be pretty close to the poverty line to qualify and NU doesn't offer academic grants so aid might be limited.

I really was a tad annoyed by the assumption that our minority players are poor. That is oftentimes not the case AT ALL.

He just had the standard tweets about committing, and signing his NLI...he did Retweet somebody wishing him luck wherever he wound up after the intent to transfer was announced...nothing else there.

Also, he tweeted @ Araina Grande asking her to prom, and appeared to be at Welsh-Ryan to hoop 9I would assume. The picture was of the practice court) as recently as October of 2015.

Any of you that have been claiming Vassar chose to transfer and citing the NU press release as evidence take anything form this information? No? Good. ;)

I really was a tad annoyed by the assumption that our minority players are poor. That is oftentimes not the case AT ALL.

I immediately thought of three African-American players from the 2002 to 2005 period, Whose parents I have met and were all millionaires. Of course they might be exceptions , but all minority players are not poor

Last edited:
I immediately thought of three African-American players from the 2002 to 2005., Whose parents I have met and were all millionaires. Of course they might be exceptions , but all my minority players are not poor

Considering not all that many people are millionaires...yeah, I'd say they were exceptions.

I immediately thought of three African-American players from the 2002 to 2005 period, Whose parents I have met and were all millionaires. Of course they might be exceptions , but all minority players are not poor

I can think of a player whose family owned a construction company and showed up for games in a gold Bentley limousine from 2005-2008.

Last edited:
Considering not all that many people are millionaires...yeah, I'd say they were exceptions.

There are lots of millionaires in this country. And a lot our players' parents are exceptional people, with income beyond the norm.

Heck, a lot of NU former players are millionaires, too. Not me, though.

I know school teachers (DuPage County) who are millionaires. I was shocked to see their incomes (posted on-line).

Last edited:
I can think of a player whose family owned a construction company and showed up for games in a gold Bentley limousine from 2005-2008.

That is one of the three to whom I referred. I remember being in the west lot when he pulled up in front of me in a large black car about the size of a small aircraft carrier

That is one of the three to whom I referred. I remember being in the west lot when he pulled up in front of me in a large black car about the size of a small aircraft carrier

LOL! I used to think Pat Ryan was arriving in the West Lot when I'd see their cars pull up.

LOL! I used to think Pat Ryan was arriving in the West Lot when I'd see their cars pull up.

I knew who it was right away because there was a flag from Ghana attached to the front of the car like a foreign diplomat would have

I knew who it was right away because there was a flag from Ghana attached to the front of the car like a foreign diplomat would have

The father used to work as a liaison for the Ghanan embassy. Lots of gold and diamonds in Ghana.

Any of you that have been claiming Vassar chose to transfer and citing the NU press release as evidence take anything form this information? No? Good. ;)

Va? Yesterday? Mike? Raise your hand if you have me on ignore ;)

So much better here with actual discussion and glades.

I can't offer a guess (well I guess I can...>25%), but you seem to think it's difficult to become a millionaire (possess $1M or more in assets) in this country. Like I posted above, I know school teachers in DuPage County who I know are easily worth $1M when one considers the real estate they own, income from real estate, and having teaching jobs that pay $120K a year. With two teachers in the household pulling in 180-200K combined, how can they not be worth at least $1M unless they're fools with their money? Those are teachers. Imagine what engineers, doctors, lawyers, business consultants, IT pros, and other professionals are earning and salting away if they're smart with their money.

Anyone who doesn't invest in the stock market LONG-TERM with a low to moderate risk, diversified portfolio should reconsider. That's how many folks with average incomes have become millionaires.

Reactions: Kelly_32

In recent days, he Retweeted Jon Rothstein's Tweet about Sacred Heart transfer, Cane Broome committing to Cincinnatti...also was included in a tweet with 2 other people referencing UTA...don't know what any of this means, if anything, but NUCat320 had mentioned Twitter, so I thought I'd check his recent activity.
How can you be from Buckeye Land and botch Cincinnati that badly?? That said, one of my favorite t-shirts when I was younger was a rip-off U. of Cincinnati shirt that spelled it Cincinatti. Loved it!

Anyone who doesn't invest in the stock market LONG-TERM with a low to moderate risk, diversified portfolio should reconsider. That's how many folks with average incomes have become millionaires.

I know a lot of those people. A majority of them are "mortgage broke". They have all this property, but they're still darn near living paycheck to paycheck.

First, minorities have scholarships and aid available that are not open to non minorities. Second, if the family being well off keeps them from getting scholarships and aid, then they do not need the scholarship. Even families in relatively good condition get forms of aid that reduce the costs significantly. Do not need to be poor. So the family needs to be extremely well off to get no help.

Not sure if the aid is more income based or asset based (or both). It the former, family can be worth a significant amount and still get plenty of help.

Being a millionaire back in the 1970's was something. Today, they are the upper middle class.

Most people in Silicon Valley are millionaires just based on the homes that they live in.

Being a millionaire back in the 1970's was something. Today, they are the upper middle class.

Most people in Silicon Valley are millionaires just based on the homes that they live in.

A Charles Schwab report yesterday said that it takes $6M to be considered wealthy in the Bay Area vs. 2.5M elsewhere in the USA

Charles Schwab study concludes that you need $6 million to be 'wealthy' in the Bay Area

How can you be from Buckeye Land and botch Cincinnati that badly?? That said, one of my favorite t-shirts when I was younger was a rip-off U. of Cincinnati shirt that spelled it Cincinatti. Loved it!

Oops! I was enjoying a couple drinks while participating in this thread, and ignored spell check, evidently...I checked another post I made and am thankful that you didn't point out the error in that one, too.

Thankful for the edit option on Rivals!

Reactions: TheC and IGNORE2
A Charles Schwab report yesterday said that it takes $6M to be considered wealthy in the Bay Area vs. 2.5M elsewhere in the USA

Charles Schwab study concludes that you need $6 million to be 'wealthy' in the Bay Area

I know I was the one to make the point, but I don't know about $6m for everywhere else.

Below are the wealthiest zipcodes based on income in the US. Bay area zip codes don't show up until #14. NY metro area dominates the top, and even LA comes out ahead. Actualy, looking at this list, AGI probably should be the measuring stick, since the superrich don't earn salaries anyways. If you went by AGI, looks like Greenwich, CT (NYC area) and Beverly Hills (90210) with over $3m per year coming out on top. You get areas like New Canaan, Atherton, Los Altos popping up too above $2m a year that rank lower on this list, which passes the smell test. $2.5m I assume is assets, but even if it were annual AGI, you'd be below average (hence, not considered wealthy at all) in Greenwich and Beverly Hills, and just barely above average in Los Altos.

http://wealth.mongabay.com/tables/100_income_zip_codes.html

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT