ADVERTISEMENT

Charlie Moore

Secho99

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2001
Illinois' Mr. Basketball, PG Charlie Moore of Morgan Park, has decommitted from Memphis and NU is interested according to the Sun-Times' Michael O'Brien.

O'Brien tweeted in the last hour: "Charlie Moore’s camp seems intrigued by #Northwestern. And yes, Moore has the grades." There was another Twitter report that NU had expressed interest within 10 minutes of the announcement.

So, obviously Collins is recruiting for this year like he has a scholarship available.

A lot of other schools are scrambling on Moore, so I'm not sure we should get our hopes up too much, but I thought the fact that NU is being aggressive here is noteworthy.

My biggest takeaway is that we have a scholarship if we need it. Stay tuned, I guess.

The Schmidts say DePaul and Wisconsin are involved:

"The coaching carousel just got a little crazier and the Spring signing period in Chicago just got far more interesting. We say this in light of the fact that Josh Pastner has left Memphis to become the new head coach of the men's basketball program at Georgia Tech.

Pastner's decision has already had a far-reaching effect on 5'10 2016 point guard Charlie Moore of Morgan Park High School in Chicago. To be more specific, Moore has opted to reopen his recruitment in light of the coaching change at Memphis.

Moore is Illinois Prep Bulls-eye's #1 ranked player in Illinois from the class of 2016 and was also the winner of our Summer award as Player Of The Summer (http://ilprepbullseye.com/Summer_Awards.html). He was also recently named the winner of the 2016 Mr. Basketball award in Illinois.

Moore previously committed to Memphis last November before the start of the Fall signing period. Prior to his commitment, he had also taken official visits to Virginia Commonwealth and California. He had also received scholarship offers from Illinois and Iowa, but it is unlikely that either Big Ten school will get back into the picture as far as Moore's recruitment goes. Two schools that are already believed to now be involved are DePaul and Wisconsin.

The first thought upon hearing of Moore's decommitment was that he might simply look to follow Pastner to Georgia Tech. After all, the Yellow Jackets extended a scholarship offer to Moore under the previous coaching staff and it is a place where Moore would be able to come in and make an immediate impact in what is arguably the premier conference in college basketball.

However, legislation which the NCAA passed after John Calipari left Memphis for Kentucky forbids an incoming recruit who has signed a letter of intent from immediately following a head coach to his new destination. Moore signed a LOI with Memphis last November.

Because Moore was not yet enrolled at Memphis, he would be immediately eligible at his new landing spot. With that in mind, this much is certain--Moore's phone will be ringing off the hook between now and the start of the Spring signing period next week."

My biggest takeaway is that we have a scholarship if we need it. Stay tuned, I guess.

Right. To me, the big news isn't about this kid in particular, who will have a number of other options, but that Collins is operating as if he has a scholarship to use now.

Right. To me, the big news isn't about this kid in particular, who will have a number of other options, but that Collins is operating as if he has a scholarship to use now.
Wouldn't be surprised to hear us mentioned for some other grad transfer guards as well if that's the case. If you have the scholly, no point in not adding someone for a year if they can at all contribute.

We've already been mentioned as a possibility for Canyon Barry.

Is it reported anywhere that NU offered?

Is it reported anywhere that NU offered?

At this point all I've seen is that we're interested along with at least DePaul, Wisconsin, Miami and SMU. Haven't seen a report of an offer. Did read that he is still able to take 2 more official visits.

Wait - the big news wouldn't be Illinois mr. Basketball from a basketball rich program in the Chicago public league coming to northwestern? When has that ever even come close to happening before?

Wait - the big news wouldn't be Illinois mr. Basketball from a basketball rich program in the Chicago public league coming to northwestern? When has that ever even come close to happening before?

Well, THAT would be huge news. But that hasn't happened yet. If it does, I'll adjust my assessment of what constitutes "big news."

I think CC would have to decline to bring back Lumpkin for a fifth year, which would be slightly unseemly, but still well in the middle of the transfer hot stove league. (I feel a little awkward about even saying that about Sanjay, who's been a solid part of this program for four years. Just putting that out there.)

I think CC would have to decline to bring back Lumpkin for a fifth year, which would be slightly unseemly, but still well in the middle of the transfer hot stove league. (I feel a little awkward about even saying that about Sanjay, who's been a solid part of this program for four years. Just putting that out there.)

Why unseemly? It's business as usual in major college athletics.

The rule that he can't follow the coach he committed to to the school the coach goes to is a bit hilarious. Even if the coach were fully committed to the player, it couldn't happen. Seems anti-student, right? Amazing. Again.

Last edited:
Reactions: IGNORE2 and Dugan15
Why unseemly? It's business as usual in major college athletics.

Just the timing. If we're not bringing someone back, we should let them know with enough time to seek out something new. My recollection about football is the players not returning are usually announced a little before senior day, rather than a few weeks after the season. In this case, if Lumpkin was told today, he'd still have enough time to find some other options. But I wouldn't support dragging that out much longer.

Just the timing. If we're not bringing someone back, we should let them know with enough time to seek out something new. My recollection about football is the players not returning are usually announced a little before senior day, rather than a few weeks after the season. In this case, if Lumpkin was told today, he'd still have enough time to find some other options. But I wouldn't support dragging that out much longer.
And how do we know what has been said or hasn't been said?

Reactions: YesterdaysCat
Well, unlike football, he wasn't honored on Senior Day. But my bet is he will return for his final year of eligibility.

Exactly.

It's uncommon for a player not asked back for a 5th year to be left out of senior day festivities. I can't envision a scenario where Sanjay wouldn't be around for the 2016-17 season, but if for some reason he isn't (and it's not his choice), such a move would rub me the wrong way.

Reactions: Dugan15

That's the ideal case, but doesn't always work out that way.

Exactly.

It's uncommon for a player not asked back for a 5th year to be left out of senior day festivities. I can't envision a scenario where Sanjay wouldn't be around for the 2016-17 season, but if for some reason he isn't (and it's not his choice), such a move would rub me the wrong way.

Even if he transferred and played somewhere else?

Regardless, these made up scenarios are kind of pointless...especially since we know nothing about what's going on, and there's been no reports about Sanjay from anyone other than a random speculation from someone on this board.

Regardless, these made up scenarios are kind of pointless...especially since we know nothing about what's going on, and there's been no reports about Sanjay from anyone other than a random speculation from someone on this board.

Agreed and as I said I highly doubt Sanjay will be anywhere other than Evanston next season.

Exactly.

His departure would be a surprise, but as long as Vassar stays on the books, there isn't another obvious way to open a scholarship without Creaning.

Reactions: IGNORE2

No, let's continue to see how far we can take this based on an unknown discussion with an AAU coach. You can always count on them for integrity and credibility.

Combine that with no clue of what Vassar plans to do, and you have a real good foundation for the entire situation.

Anyhow, there is a positive to all this baseless speculation. It's nice to see NU fans have suddenly decided to stop the long tradition of being blind, dumb and deaf when players are no longer welcomed back or suddenly leave without explanation. It must be a NUera!!

That critical analysis ... it's crazy, huh?

I also think Tap could retire for medical concerns leaving him on schollie but opening another for incoming. I also can see a situation where Ash gets vassared, but this time, proper steps secure the schollie.

I also think Tap could retire for medical concerns leaving him on schollie but opening another for incoming. I also can see a situation where Ash gets vassared, but this time, proper steps secure the schollie.

It only works if he really has a disabling injury. Needs a doctor's opinion to that effect. Otherwise guys could be stashed on medical for no reason.

Two interesting items in the Trib story today: Moore wants to start at PG right away, which probably would not happen at NU; and he had a clause inserted into his LOI with Memphis that said if Pastner left as coach he was automatically released. Smart kid.

I think the major positive is that NU is aggressively pursuing the Illinois Player of the Year and that player appears to have interest in NU. That will make it fun to monitor. As for his place on the roster, if he does commit to NU, I am sure that the staff has figured it out or will figure it out. My guess is that Vasser transfers or gets moved to a non-athletic scholarship if he does not want to continue his basketball career. But to get Charlie Moore will be a battle because it appears that a number of Power Conference schools are interested and when you are dealing with AAU coaches who knows how that final decision is made.

I think the major positive is that NU is aggressively pursuing the Illinois Player of the Year and that player appears to have interest in NU. That will make it fun to monitor. As for his place on the roster, if he does commit to NU, I am sure that the staff has figured it out or will figure it out. My guess is that Vasser transfers or gets moved to a non-athletic scholarship if he does not want to continue his basketball career. But to get Charlie Moore will be a battle because it appears that a number of Power Conference schools are interested and when you are dealing with AAU coaches who knows how that final decision is made.

Vassal cannot simply be made a non-counter per NCAA rules without some kind of mitigating reason (injury, etc.).

Reactions: IGNORE2
Two interesting items in the Trib story today: Moore wants to start at PG right away, which probably would not happen at NU...

I saw that too. Assuming there is a scholarship to use, I think Moore could still be a fit.

The 'Cats desperately need a secondary ball handler on the floor. BMac was recruited as a "lead guard" by Collins, a coach who isn't married to traditional distinctions (1,2,3 etc). I think Bryant has enough versatility in his game to play in the backcourt with Moore and if true, such a combo might a long term solution to the problem created by Demps' graduation.

Nick can set up the offense and Bryant can have the ball in his hands when things start to break down. Additionally, having Moore around would allow McIntosh to consistently get those 8 to 10 mins of rest he desperately needs on a nightly basis.

Last edited:
Scholarships are four-year commitments these days, so if you're "Vassared," that means you're keeping your scholarship, there is no magic "process" to open up the scholarship for another player, unless there is a transfer.

Vassal cannot simply be made a non-counter per NCAA rules without some kind of mitigating reason (injury, etc.).
My thought is that they've had a mitigating reason all along and simply did not exercise it last year, but are willing to now for the right guy. That is if it's Vassar's schilarship we are talking about here. Could always be from another source.

I have to agree with this and not at all reluctantly. I have no idea why people on this board feel it's worthwhile to speculate on Sanjay's or Jordan's status without any basis. At least there is some reason for opining about Taphorn (due to injury) and Vassar (limbo).

I also can see a situation where Ash gets vassared, but this time, proper steps secure the schollie.

I "liked" Virginia's post, but what he said deserves to be reiterated. There's no need for this kind of baseless, ignorant speculation. There are plenty of guards who struggle as frosh. Quinn Cook, formerly of Duke, for example.

My thought is that they've had a mitigating reason all along and simply did not exercise it last year, but are willing to now for the right guy. That is if it's Vassar's schilarship we are talking about here. Could always be from another source.

If they had a reason to non-count him, why didn't they? What benefit is there to waiting? Doesn't make sense.

Sounds like they're showing interest in Kent State transfer, Kellon Thomas as a grad transfer. This is 3 potential targets we've heard about. There must be a scholarship available somewhere.

Scholarships are four-year commitments these days, so if you're "Vassared," that means you're keeping your scholarship, there is no magic "process" to open up the scholarship for another player, unless there is a transfer.
Except a 5th year schlorship is not guaranteed. All you have to do is look and see how many NU and I'm sure other schools football players were not asked back for a fifth season.

Declining to bring someone back for a 5th year is NOT Creaning. We guarantee scholarships for four years. Bidding farewell to someone after four years isn't unethical, though there are good and bad ways to handle that (which we can call Belieining).

Speaking of Beileining, Michigan declined to bring back Spike Albrecht for a fifth season, so it's not unprecedented for a Big Ten school to not renew a key rotation player.

Unrelated to roster machinations, I think Bryant could play a really good off-guard with Isiah Brown or possibly Charlie Moore. Having a second strong ball-handler takes a ton of pressure off Law, Lindsey and Falzon to create their own shots, and it could give us a lot more options with Pardon pick-and-rolls. So I hope we can get Moore.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT