ADVERTISEMENT

Chase

Hungry Jack

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2008
the cotton fields and bus shelters
www.cbc.ca
I know he has not been as effective over the past 6 games or so. I think the effects of a HUGE workload are showing.

But if want to see the essence of his season, watch the last 3:43 vs. Purdue. He basically won that game for us with his defense and offense. It might be my favorite memory of the regular season (hopefully some great postseason moments to come!)

I know he has not been as effective over the past 6 games or so. I think the effects of a HUGE workload are showing.

But if want to see the essence of his season, watch the last 3:43 vs. Purdue. He basically won that game for us with his defense and offense. It might be my favorite memory of the regular season (hopefully some great postseason moments to come!)
In terms of offense, aside from Boo, it's been good to see that different players have stepped up to help get some of these wins. It's a shame Chase has struggled on offense recently. He was much more consistent early in the season (and always consistent defensively). If he can get back his early season offense and BB, MN and TB can continue what they've done in the last few games, our tournament runs could be a blast!

Somewhere between last season and the start of this season, the light went on for Buie and he got his game to the next level. Chase's light has flickered on and off this year, once he figures out how to keep it on (mostly in terms of shot selection and controlling his energy on offense) he'll be unstoppable.

Reactions: Arlcatsfan
Chase's light has flickered on and off this year, once he figures out how to keep it on (mostly in terms of shot selection and controlling his energy on offense) he'll be unstoppable.

Here are his last 3 seasons in the Big Ten with all stats converted to "Per 40 minutes"

YearFGA2pt%3pt%AsstsRebsBlocksTOsStealsPts
20-2115.544.433.92.74.50.63.32.316.4
21-2216.242.025.02.96.20.52.12.514.9
22-2315.238.833.22.73.70.52.32.715.1

Audige had a slight dip last year, presumably due to some nagging injuries, but he's not too different statistically from the guy who showed up in Evanston 3 years ago.

Maybe using Chase as a off the ball screener would free him up. Especially if he is screening for Ty or Brooks. If the defense does not communicate it should free one of them up.

Also screen the screener might help as well

But, Chase has to be patient and let it happen. A few times this year the screen and roll play has not worked with him as he does not have the patience Boo has.

Here are his last 3 seasons in the Big Ten with all stats converted to "Per 40 minutes"

YearFGA2pt%3pt%AsstsRebsBlocksTOsStealsPts
20-2115.544.433.92.74.50.63.32.316.4
21-2216.242.025.02.96.20.52.12.514.9
22-2315.238.833.22.73.70.52.32.715.1

Audige had a slight dip last year, presumably due to some nagging injuries, but he's not too different statistically from the guy who showed up in Evanston 3 years ago.
He's close to the same player on offense. The difference it that in the previous seasons we got a lot more enraged by the decisions because:
1) We were losing
2) We had more players who were supposed to take on the load of scoring

Someone here has pointed out that opposing teams have pretty much figured out Chase's reliance on his right hand. I cannot recall him driving to his left (unlike Boo, who is pretty much ambidextrous). But I think Chase could be given more opportunities by working off the ball.

Didn't Boo say he could hear the IU coaches yelling to force him to go left when he was getting ready to complete the season sweep of the Hoosiers? (I thought it was an interesting comment, and obviously not advice that worked out super well for IU anyhow since he was still able to go right and well . . . you know the rest. :))

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Didn't Boo say he could hear the IU coaches yelling to force him to go left when he was getting ready to complete the season sweep of the Hoosiers? (I thought it was an interesting comment, and obviously not advice that worked out super well for IU anyhow since he was still able to go right and well . . . you know the rest. :))
With a LOT of help from the officials LOLOL

Reactions: GatoLouco
In terms of offense, aside from Boo, it's been good to see that different players have stepped up to help get some of these wins. It's a shame Chase has struggled on offense recently. He was much more consistent early in the season (and always consistent defensively). If he can get back his early season offense and BB, MN and TB can continue what they've done in the last few games, our tournament runs could be a blast!
He has not been able to take it to the hoop much lately. Remember all those steals leading to easy breakaway baskets? Steals have been there but not the breakaways. And he has not driven to the basket as much. Could be the wear and tear of 39 mpg taking its toll

Last edited:
I'm curious to see how a non-Big Ten team plays against NU in the tourney. I think the Iowas and Indianas of the world know how to defend Boo, Chase, Nicholson, etc. (even if it doesn't always result in wins for them), whereas a random West Virginia with two or three days to prepare might not be as successful stopping them. Of course, that goes both ways, but that's why the NCAAs are so much fun!

I think he was referring to the second to last possession, when he did go left and made a layup.

Boo has changed his game dramatically this year with an emphasis on getting to the hoop for those little runners and banks. He ends up at the FT line more because of it as well.

IMO Chase could benefit from doing more of that- he still tends to settle for one of two options- 3 or a contested 2. His 2’s are usually much higher degree of difficulty and come with little chance of getting to the line.

Boo is an interesting player because his shot selection is so out-of-step with the modern game. In conference, he shot 60% more twos than threes. Getting to the lane is something that not a lot of ‘little’ guys do these days.
They get too beat up

I think he was referring to the second to last possession, when he did go left and made a layup.
On the last possession, he started his drive and then made a nice jab fake left, which got Galloway turned sideways. Boo then went back right, and the rest is history. But I credit that left fake with getting Galloway out of position, which is why he wasn't squared up to take the charge on the contact.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
On the last possession, he started his drive and then made a nice jab fake left, which got Galloway turned sideways. Boo then went back right, and the rest is history. But I credit that left fake with getting Galloway out of position, which is why he wasn't squared up to take the charge on the contact.
In coaching these middle schoolers, I always harp on getting your defender to commit to moving in one direction, and then reversing (equally applies to football). It doesn't change if you don't have the ball, either.

Reactions: TheC
In coaching these middle schoolers, I always harp on getting your defender to commit to moving in one direction, and then reversing (equally applies to football). It doesn't change if you don't have the ball, either.
The Bobby Knight V-cut. I learned it as a kid and taught all of my middle school players that move. You never just go straight to where you intend to go.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT