ADVERTISEMENT

Buie in top form?

Sec.112

Jun 17, 2001
Apologies to whoever said this, but I'm not sure he was. Understandably, he may have been generally dragging. And God love him if he wasn't on top of his and scores 20. But I thought Boo wasn't as aggressive as usual and looked here and there for his moments.

Anybody else wonder about the tape/wrap on his shoulder where someone fell on him and maybe stretched something at Purdue? I wonder if that play affected his afternoon.

I may be overanalyzing.

Apologies to whoever said this, but I'm not sure he was. Understandably, he may have been generally dragging. And God love him if he wasn't on top of his and scores 20. But I thought Boo wasn't as aggressive as usual and looked here and there for his moments.

Anybody else wonder about the tape/wrap on his shoulder where someone fell on him and maybe stretched something at Purdue? I wonder if that play affected his afternoon.

I may be overanalyzing.
Boo was very good defensively in this game and had the juice late. He did miss several little contested layups that are touch shots he usually makes like 70% of, so maybe a little something, but frankly I didn’t see a lot of physical limitations for him. I just thought he was in full “reserve energy and get the other guys involved” mode so he had the legs to take over when things started to stagnate and late.

Reactions: drewjin
Unfortunately he had a shot at end of regulation last to games to win that he couldn't make.

I may be overanalyzing.
Buie is beat up. He has the neck issue from Purdue. He has a shin pad that wasn’t there at the beginning of the year.

But the biggest issue with the MN game is they had 5-6 days off and NU had 2.

Unless the Cats have a mental block they will be fine. Buie will help them stay on task.

Nebraska has had 2 OT games recently and one less day to recover. Cats have a big advantage on Wed.

I think Minny also played great defense against us. It seemed like Boo and Barney were covered a lot more closely than normal. How much of this was due to NU's fatigue or Minny's game planning, I don't know. But it definitely seems that their interior shots were a lot more contested than normal. If the latter, hoping we can game plan around it the next time we play them.

I think Minny also played great defense against us. It seemed like Boo and Barney were covered a lot more closely than normal. How much of this was due to NU's fatigue or Minny's game planning, I don't know. But it definitely seems that their interior shots were a lot more contested than normal. If the latter, hoping we can game plan around it the next time we play them.
Minnesota guards couldn’t guard our guards AT ALL but MN does have size with two bigs inside so it took a little more effort to get a look. Buie generally got those looks and missed a lot of them though

Reactions: macarthur31
Yeah I agree that Minnesota played good defense. The bigs helping on the drivers was key, especially 21 had a good 2H + OT... Dawson Garcia was not as much of a mismatch inside as I thought when they were on offense, but he was nails at the FT line and hit a big 3, also had a couple nice defensive plays. He and Payne made it tough for us to finish at the rim.

All that said, props to Minnesota, but I think the biggest issue was that we were just gassed and didn't have the legs toward the end. Hard to blame them after a very tough fought OT battle against Purdue on the road, then traveling again on 2 days rest for an afternoon tip. We made a last push at the end of regulation to tie it up and then had the chance at it, but we had nothing left to get it over the line in OT unfortunately. Lots of shots missed on the front of the rim in the 2H and especially in OT. Alas, that seemed like a game we should have won, but when you add up (i) way too many turnovers in H1 with bad passes, (ii) bizarre reffing in H2 all around, and (iii) no legs left in OT, it ends up with a somewhat disappointing loss.

Get rested and let's get back on the winning side at the friendly confines of Welsh Ryan against Nebraska.

Last edited:
'Cats went 10-32/31.2% from 2FG that game. That brought our B1G FG% average down to 51.1% (4th).

Buie went 2-9, 'Borg went 2-6, Barnhizer 3-7. Gotta give respect to Pharrel Payne, who went 33 minutes and had 4 blocks, as well as Dawson Garcia who used his length to get 2 blocks himself - both of those dudes had length that disrupted our usually dependable paint scoring.

We turned it over 23.6% of the time - and the Gophs were way better in transition than they were in running halfcourt. We clean that part up in the rematch, this should be a 'Cats win.

Reactions: ricko654321

I may be overanalyzing.
I don't think he made one of his floaters and only one from inside. Also got several blocked indicating he was just a touch slower than usual. There was basically no time to recover from the PU game so legs could have been an issue

That missed layup that could've been a 3 point play is a shot I'd bet a lot of money that he makes...

One factor was the way Minnesota defended the ball screen. This disrupted Buie significantly.
Nicholson almost always screens the guard so that Buie can go to his right.
Minnesota had 6'10" Dawson Garcia jump out from behind Nicholson to block Buie from going to his right. Garcia left Nicholson who would try to roll to basket but the Minny guard blocked him. Garcia prevented Buie from passing anywhere but laterally. It also prevented Buie from shooting an open 3.

And that shut down our ball screen action. Buie gets a lot of dribble drive baskets off the ball screen.

One factor was the way Minnesota defended the ball screen. This disrupted Buie significantly.
Nicholson almost always screens the guard so that Buie can go to his right.
Minnesota had 6'10" Dawson Garcia jump out from behind Nicholson to block Buie from going to his right. Garcia left Nicholson who would try to roll to basket but the Minny guard blocked him. Garcia prevented Buie from passing anywhere but laterally. It also prevented Buie from shooting an open 3.

And that shut down our ball screen action. Buie gets a lot of dribble drive baskets off the ball screen.
Yes, that was effective. They also had the guard off the ball side shooter hedge in on Matt to prevent a lob pass in over the dropping guard. That left the corner shooter open a lot. When they took advantage of that, it worked out fine.

But there was one real problem in this game, and thag was sloppy turnovers, the vast majority of which were just had mental mistakes by NU. Many, many balls just thrown clear out of bounds, touched by nobody. That’s how they lost the game.

Reactions: ricko654321
Yes, that was effective. They also had the guard off the ball side shooter hedge in on Matt to prevent a lob pass in over the dropping guard. That left the corner shooter open a lot. When they took advantage of that, it worked out fine.

But there was one real problem in this game, and thag was sloppy turnovers, the vast majority of which were just had mental mistakes by NU. Many, many balls just thrown clear out of bounds, touched by nobody. That’s how they lost the game.
The Purdue game took it out of them both physically and mentally. There was really no time to recover. A late road game where the left it all on the floor and a relatively early afternoon road game less than 72 hrs later. Road games are tough anyway but back to back on short rest...

Reactions: drewjin
The Purdue game took it out of them both physically and mentally. There was really no time to recover. A late road game where the left it all on the floor and a relatively early afternoon road game less than 72 hrs later. Road games are tough anyway but back to back on short rest...

Interesting that Minnesota bounced out of the NU game with a win over Michigan State last night, though.
The Gophers are now 6-5 in the league.

Of course they played both games at home, but still - their fans have to be thrilled with their progress...

Interesting that Minnesota bounced out of the NU game with a win over Michigan State last night, though.

Of course they played both games at home, but still - their fans have to be thrilled with their progress...
It feels like a small miracle, especially when, after a good start, they lost 4 in a row and things seemed to trend in the expected direction.

Christie, who killed us at the end of regulation, had a great stat line last night. Did not watch.

At home is the key. Much easier to do quick turnarounds and they were coming off the win,

Buie is beat up. He has the neck issue from Purdue. He has a shin pad that wasn’t there at the beginning of the year.

But the biggest issue with the MN game is they had 5-6 days off and NU had 2.

Unless the Cats have a mental block they will be fine. Buie will help them stay on task.

Nebraska has had 2 OT games recently and one less day to recover. Cats have a big advantage on Wed.
And away from home as well

These last two games are huge for them. They were supposed to be PATHETIC again this year and they've improved so far beyond expectations. They've gone from not very good to somewhat competitive against some bottom half teams to back to back wins against tourny bubble teams. Huge progress.

So Dickie V has changed his tune on Buie…very disappointing and biased (toward the diaper dandy schools).

It’s unclear to me if dick vitale has actually watched basketball since like 2006 or if he just loves off his schtick and persona for a few random TV hits a year
It’s unclear to me how much ESPN is paying Vitale and Corso’s families to prop their bodies up on stage for whatever reason

So Dickie V has changed his tune on Buie…very disappointing and biased (toward the diaper dandy schools).

Choosing guards that are overwhelmingly on very good teams brings the argument they are a big part of why those teams are good. But, take Braden Smith, how good is he really if Edey is not there?

Take Tyrese Maxey, having a phenomenal seasons for the sixers... He's been mediocre since Embiid got hurt. This is a working theory based on having seen zero NBA games this season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT