ADVERTISEMENT

Citrus Bowl v Auburn

Another thing. IU hasn't won a bowl game since 1991, and has lost five since then. We've won our last three, and four of our last five. Bowl committees look at that sort of thing. (It helps no matter which bowl you went to or who your opponent was.)

(In a normal year, I would also add: Buy some dang tickets and go to the game with family or friends! Bowl games are out to make money, and to help the local tourism industry make money. They want teams who bring fans, and who give them exciting games that result in good Nielsen ratings on TV.)

Will winning your bowl games get you equal treatment with Michigan or Penn State? Probably not. But it will certainly help. Now go out there and beat Ole Miss!

Last edited:
Yes, and that pick 6 resulted in the point differential. Do I have to explain to you how that works?

Look, NW had a great season especially after what happened last year. I'm not trying to diminish it but made a comment to someone who disregarded IU. I rooted for you against OSU and will against Auburn. But let's not make believe here that the only reason we weren't in the B1G title was the divisions. Even with the OSU loss, without divisions we would've been ahead due to common opponents.

Apparently you do, because that’s not how it works.

Reactions: rmndcat
Hilarious. Your program has a long way to go to earn the respect necessary to get treated "fairly". We've been a winning program for much longer than you guys and got the undeserved short end of the stick many times. Try having a winning record for more than two seasons out of the last couple of decades and then come back to talk. As far as who has the better team this year, you need to put the crack pipe down. You beat absolutely no one that was even close to having a winning record. We beat Iowa, Wisconsin and gave OSU a much more competitive game. Had you played NU, you would have lost. Now go back to your board to whine like a little Biatch!
That reads like the posts we’d get from opposing fans not too long ago. I didn’t like it then. I don’t like it now.

Indiana played OSU more competitively than NW did and it was at OSU. Indiana def got shafted.
Not true at all. You clearly didn’t watch both games. Indiana was getting destroyed and made a nice 4th quarter comeback, but never once was in the drivers seat. Complete opposite for NU.

Another thing. IU hasn't won a bowl game since 1991, and has lost five since then. We've won our last three, and four of our last five. Bowl committees look at that sort of thing. (It helps no matter which bowl you went to or who your opponent was.)

(In a normal year, I would also add: Buy some dang tickets and go to the game with family or friends! Bowl games are out to make money, and to help the local tourism industry make money. They want teams who bring fans, and who give them exciting games that result in good Nielsen ratings on TV.)

Will winning your bowl games get you equal treatment with Michigan or Penn State? Probably not. But it will certainly help. Now go out there and beat Ole Miss!
Yeah, also speaks to the football brand that Fitz has built over the past 15 years. This is our 10th bowl game under Fitz, and obviously we've won 4 of the last 5. Fitz obviously himself has become well known around the country and seemingly a quarter of the NFL wants him this offseason...

This will be our 5th top 25 finish under Fitz to go along with 3 ten win seasons and 2 division titles.

This is a weird year, most likely the bowls were just focused on putting together the best football brands/teams they had access to..., which is why we got the Citrus Bowl.

If you isolate 2020, maybe you can make the case for Indiana to the Citrus Bowl, but the bowl committees always take everything else into account too... including brand/program history/attendance/etc.

This bid is basically a cumulative achievement in a sense as well as a recognition of the 2020 team.

Reactions: kaTNap
It is clear that the B1G has an arrangement with the Citrus Bowl to take the loser of the CCG/Divisional Champ. The discussion of IU vs. NU resume is irrelevant

Reactions: DaCat
It is clear that the B1G has an arrangement with the Citrus Bowl to take the loser of the CCG/Divisional Champ. The discussion of IU vs. NU resume is irrelevant
Honestly don't think that's true otherwise we'd have gotten it 2 years ago instead of Penn State passing us up.

Citrus Bowl gets first pick of SEC and Big Ten teams after CFP committee sets up NY6 matchups.

But I don't think Big Ten intervenes overtly unless it's a situation where maybe a division champ falls too far. I don't think they'd want a division champ to fall below Music City in the current bowl configuration.

Back in 2018 we got Holiday which was on the same tier as Music City is now.

Citrus was probably picking between us, Indiana, and Iowa. Given lack of attendance, they probably chose us over Iowa due to head-to-head, and then us over Indiana due to our performance against Ohio State and our record and recent history under Fitz.

Reactions: cat inkansas
The sad thing for Indiana is that if the Rose Bowl wasn't scheduled to be a semifinal this year (and if we weren't in the middle of a pandemic) they would have received an auto bid to the Rose Bowl as the highest-ranked B1G team that didn't make the playoff.

The sad thing for Indiana is that if the Rose Bowl wasn't scheduled to be a semifinal this year (and if we weren't in the middle of a pandemic) they would have received an auto bid to the Rose Bowl as the highest-ranked B1G team that didn't make the playoff.
Yup, and as a 1 loss Big Ten team, they probably should have gotten an NY6 bowl over Iowa State.

Reactions: Bwm57 and Styre
IU lost due to a late pick 6 against the full OSU squad.
Oversimplification/overexaggeration of the year statement for a game where IU never, ever led and was only tied for one possession. Never, ever in control of that game. OSU was missing a couple starters one of which was the punter. We were missing starters as well, just none to COVID and had our All B1G CB and our best DT go out in game.

Reactions: rmndcat
Honestly don't think that's true otherwise we'd have gotten it 2 years ago instead of Penn State passing us up.
Perhaps the B1G changed that agreement for that very reason? I also heard on one of the shows that the Citrus Bowl had to take the runnerup from the B1G.

There's no such arrangement. Jim Delany lobbied Citrus in the past to take the runner-up, but that's not a formal (or even understood) arrangement, just a one-time thing. We went to the Holiday Bowl two years ago as runner-up.

Perhaps the B1G changed that agreement for that very reason? I also heard on one of the shows that the Citrus Bowl had to take the runnerup from the B1G.
Direct from the B1G website:

"The Big Ten’s 2020-25 bowl lineup will also feature the same selection process that has been used since 2014 to ensure outstanding bowl matchups and fresh postseason destinations. Each bowl partner will work with the Big Ten to create the best possible matchup based upon an agreed set of parameters, with final approval by the conference office for all team selections."

Per Wikipedia, the Citrus Bowl's selection parameter is that they select first after the CFP has made their selections for the playoffs and NY6.

I'm pretty sure the contract is the same; they get the same first selection they've always had as long as it's not something wacky that the conference would deny (like if they had somehow picked Penn State or Michigan this year).

They probably picked among us, Indiana, and Iowa. Pretty clear why we'd be chosen among that set of 3 (head to head win against Iowa and higher ranking, and we have a better program history than Indiana as well as a closer game against Ohio State; being division champ is just icing on the cake).

NU is only the second B1G Championship runner-up to go to the Citrus Bowl, joining 2012 Nebraska.

NU is only the second B1G Championship runner-up to go to the Citrus Bowl, joining 2012 Nebraska.
They've all gone to NY6 bowls except 2011 MSU (Outback), 2012 Neb (Citrus), 2014 Wisky (Outback), 2018 NU (Holiday), and 2020 NU (Citrus).

The common pattern seems to be that, if you're top-ten going into the CG (and don't get blown out), you get NY6 with a loss. IOW, if we had only beaten MSU, we would have had a good shot at the Fiesta, at least looking at history.

Reactions: DaCat
How many will come back? What kind of shape will they be in after two weeks off at home? How many will be Covid positive? How many practices will they be able to get in with a new head coach? Does not bode well for them. Honestly, I would not be shocked if they have to cancel/forfeit.
Yep, frankly I'm a little shocked they accepted the bowl bid although the Citrus Bowl is tough to turn down.

But still, sending the players home for 2 full weeks doesn't make it sound like they intended to take a bowl bid...

Reactions: corbi296
Yes, and that pick 6 resulted in the point differential. Do I have to explain to you how that works?

Look, NW had a great season especially after what happened last year. I'm not trying to diminish it but made a comment to someone who disregarded IU. I rooted for you against OSU and will against Auburn. But let's not make believe here that the only reason we weren't in the B1G title was the divisions. Even with the OSU loss, without divisions we would've been ahead due to common opponents.
No doubt in my mind we beat s Penix less Hoosier team.

Indiana really got screwed. Maybe Warren has our back, unlike Delany over the years.
Not sure you can really say that. IU's wins are for the most part unimpressive and without Penix, no real star appeal. They got the standard second best bowl for the BIG (outside of exception for CFP) which is about where they belonged (they really did not have the credentials for an NY6 so the best they could do was Citrus which would take displacing NU unless NU had gotten a NY6 spot). They are sort of in the position we were ten years ago. Not a huge following so they did not really move the bowl committee needle, no real impressive win and no star power (when Penix went down). Hard to get top billing even if you deserve it (and there case was pretty marginal).

Their stunt probably set them back a few years in eyes of selection committee and BIG higher ups. I don't blame them for wanting more but reality is they did not have quite the credentials to get it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT