ADVERTISEMENT

Collins top candidate for Wake

If you're Collins, do you take a respectable exit ramp knowing that your seat in Evanston may get warm with another bad season? Or are you wary of taking a job that might not be top-10 in the ACC?

How can that be? He is horrible according to many on this board?
I actually think Collins would be excellent at Wake. That is one great job in a basketball crazed area at a program that has fallen on hard times. Heard K is pushing both him and Amaker hard for it which is interesting given it is an ACC job

If you're Collins, do you take a respectable exit ramp knowing that your seat in Evanston may get warm with another bad season? Or are you wary of taking a job that might not be top-10 in the ACC?

It may not be a top 10 ACC job currently in terms of talent but it should be in top 8 based on their resources which would make you a perennial NCAA tourney team

Wouldn't think he goes anywhere right now because he's building a nice roster that'll be very competitive in the next couple of seasons (which he knows) with a chance to be something really special if some of the recruiting chips fall in a positive way. From what I've gathered, Wake's cupboard is pretty bare at this point so it would be another tough few seasons for him there to do a rebuild with a skeptical fanbase.

I wouldn't be surprised if his camp is inserting his name here and there as a shot across the bow of an admin (sans the Good Doctor) that's not on lovey-dovey terms with CC.

If get PBSr, think the chances of landing Jr. jumps w/ the 'Cats being the new fave.

He has had three losing seasons out of three at UWM ... even if getting his son were a lock, Ben Simmons and Markelle Fultz's college seasons prove one superstar recruit isn't everything.

He has had three losing seasons out of three at UWM ... even if getting his son were a lock, Ben Simmons and Markelle Fultz's college seasons prove one superstar recruit isn't everything.
Others will follow Jr., hopefully many others!

Wake has a much better overall history than us, but look at the last 10 seasons:

NU
161-166 overall
62-122 league
1-1 NCAA tournament record
highest league finish: T-5th

Wake
129-187 overall
47-131 league
0-1 NCAA tournament record
highest league finish: T-9th

Wake of course had a nice 20-year run from 1990 to 2010 with many NCAA tourney appearances and big-time players. But current college recruits may not perceive Wake as major program.

In addition to Teddy throwing some water on this rumor, Wake twitter doesn't seem too enthused about a Dookie coming off an 8-win season.

Reactions: Jonny2TheP
Teddy raining on the parade ...

Of course Teddy is, he reads it here first - posts it - then texts CC who of course is gonna say nothing to it. What coach is gonna say to the beat reporter yea Im interested as hell my agent is trying to get this stuff done! If Teddy had sources in Winston-Salem or if he knew the search firm I'd believe him but he doesn't. CC is a candidate whether he ends up getting it another story but he is Flat out a candidate.

Wake has a much better overall history than us, but look at the last 10 seasons:

NU
161-166 overall
62-122 league
1-1 NCAA tournament record
highest league finish: T-5th

Wake
129-187 overall
47-131 league
0-1 NCAA tournament record
highest league finish: T-9th
This is wild.
Apparently my knowledge of national college basketball stops in, like, 1997.

Can’t imagine this being true. Wake is paying Manning $15M to go away. They’re not doing that to hire a coach who’s resume doesn’t look like an improvement.

Also, Wake fans and boosters have high expectations. It’s a proud basketball school that’s ready to get back to it’s pre-2010 glory. Hiring Collins won’t be met with much enthusiasm or boosters’ dollars. And the latter will be important, if you’re going to pay a $15M buyout during a pandemic when there may not be a college football season this year.

Reactions: Jonny2TheP
I can understand why Collins would want the job. But can’t understand why WF would want him.
Because he’s a good coach who did the impossible at the worst basketball program in the P5 with one hand tied behind his back by a dumbass administration. He’s very well respected in coaching circles. Some of you know it alls are hilarious.

Can’t imagine this being true. Wake is paying Manning $15M to go away. They’re not doing that to hire a coach who’s resume doesn’t look like an improvement.

Also, Wake fans and boosters have high expectations. It’s a proud basketball school that’s ready to get back to it’s pre-2010 glory. Hiring Collins won’t be met with much enthusiasm or boosters’ dollars. And the latter will be important, if you’re going to pay a $15M buyout during a pandemic when there may not be a college football season this year.

This is not a slight to Collins, but at this point in his career, you are right that he would not be the type of expected hire for Wake by fans and boosters. And I say that as a Collins fan.

For my money, this is one that doesn’t make sense for Collins or Wake. It would surprise me.

Because he’s a good coach who did the impossible at the worst basketball program in the P5 with one hand tied behind his back by a dumbass administration. He’s very well respected in coaching circles. Some of you know it alls are hilarious.
Wait so we have had a stable athletic department now it’s a dumbass administration? I’m confused.

This move would make sense for Collins but I'm not sure why Wake Forest would do it.
Agreed. WF hiring collins would be disastrous. They already don’t like him from his duke days and it’s pretty clear he is not a good coach.

Reactions: phatcat
Is that centered at admissions?
It is centered at a board of trustees who do not want to, or know what it takes to, build a consistently successful program at a P5 level. Yes, this bleeds into admissions decisions, resource allocation, etc.

Collins is only operating with one hand behind his back because Phillips is an absolute master and untied the other hand by getting the facilities done. Phillips is by far the best athletic director in the country with what he has done at NU. The athletic department is very steady and very good, but there are institutional barriers that they simply can’t remove.

We can’t understate how absolutely lucky we are to have Fitz, that he was a big time player for us and a proud alum...he would not have stayed here otherwise. No coach would have the patience to deal with this group of numbskulls otherwise. Also, don’t forget that he has also used other jobs as leverage to get what he needed from the admin.

This is not a slight to Collins, but at this point in his career, you are right that he would not be the type of expected hire for Wake by fans and boosters. And I say that as a Collins fan.

For my money, this is one that doesn’t make sense for Collins or Wake. It would surprise me.
Exactly. I’m not commenting on whether he’s a good coach or not. Just saying that perception matters here. Wake has to be able to sell this to boosters and fans. I think the resume Collins has on paper is a tough sell for Wake.

The publisher of Wake Forest TOS must have some Wake Forest sources ...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT