ADVERTISEMENT

Collins top candidate for Wake

After all the blood, sweat and tears CCC has invested in NU, I'd be surprised to see him leave now, when all that could be starting to pay off.

For NU's sake, I hope he's still dedicated. CCC can recruit for NU. Hardly anyone else can and few of those want the opportunity.

GatoLouco said:

I thought they’d be looking at him, as well as other big up and comers. Much easier sell than Collins. If he fails, at least he was an hire that made sense on paper.

You realize Forbes is 55, hardly an "up and comer"......
[/quote]
True. I guess I meant he’s a part of the group of coaches touted as promising to make the leap to a power conference. Most are younger, but not all.

Nagy at Wright State is not young either. Though with Jordan Ash most coaches would have a high profile.

Vassar makes a good point about 13-45. But it's also obvious some want to push him out the door.

I can understand mixed feelings about Chrissy. I can accept those and agree with many of them. But the 4 or 5 people who started this parade in '17-'18 or earlier need a reality check. It's obvious that's more than a basketball thing

My other cheap theory when wondering if someone wants to leave ... aaaaaaaaaaaaalways look at the age of the coach's kids.
Chrissy? Is this your inner Jim Rome speaking?

IMO the student body is less diverse than its ever been. Not just talking about skin color. As the school has become more selective, it seems to choose the same type of kid whether from Beijing, Santa Monica or Naperville. I'd argue that a the kids on campus would learn more about the world if NU worked to bring in a more diverse population. Sports...all sports....are part of the solution.

U of C dropped standardized tests a year or so ago. That's new. And pretty revolutionary. Schools talk about the holistic admissions process....I'd like to see NU do a better job at bringing in more non traditional NU students....kids that can succeed and thrive there....and do so with deeper analysis of applicants.

The Liberty kid....angers me that there isn't a place for him on NU's campus basketball or no basketball.
Now this comment advances the conversation, at least for me. I'd love a discussion about the best way to build a university via admissions. NU took a chance on me despite coming from a poor-performing school with no AP classes. I'd like to think they made a good decision. Certainly I consider it a remarkable blessing to graduate from NU. I don't know who I would be without the school. I know my attitude toward the school was different from my friend who didn't get into Georgetown, hated NU, and didn't get involved in extra-curriculars. I'd love to see an athletics admissions policy that coincides with a broader strategy to pursue well-rounded students and not just people who can ace the tests. I don't like like the idea of having 7,900 students who need to get an ACT of 33 and 100 with an ACT of 17.

Reactions: willycat
Steve Forbes from East Tennessee State was hired to replace Manning.

yup, he was the guy the AD wanted all along but there was some trepidation on Forbes' part because he is a hot name right now and probably thought he would get a better fit. He supposedly took his name out but they came back after him. This is a guy who has spent his career coaching at Juco's and schools with lax admission standards. Probably was worried he had to recruit at a more academic school. CC and NU are stuck with each other for another go around. (laugh)

U of C dropped standardized tests a year or so ago. That's new. And pretty revolutionary. Schools talk about the holistic admissions
Do you have additional detail on what UChicago does? Is there simply greater focus on interviewing?

This is a guy who has spent his career coaching at Juco's and schools with lax admission standards. Probably was worried he had to recruit at a more academic school. )
He was part of the Bruce Pearl staff at Tennessee that was fired for recruiting improprieties, and was given a 1 year Show Cause penalty.

Reactions: catsattackfor3
He was part of the Bruce Pearl staff at Tennessee that was fired for recruiting improprieties, and was given a 1 year Show Cause penalty.

He sure was and then went to JUCO for quite a while to get his career back on track. Even though he and the AD have a relationship really didn't think he would take a job at an academic school like WF. Money talks though

He sure was and then went to JUCO for quite a while to get his career back on track. Even though he and the AD have a relationship really didn't think he would take a job at an academic school like WF. Money talks though
Wake recruits at NCAA minimums, so it should be the same thing as ETSU for him.

Wake basketball had a 100% Graduation Success Rate. I doubt they recruit at NCAA minimum
They do. It’s possible to have great GSR by providing adequate resources to those who need them.

I’m not placing a value judgment on it (as this thread shows, I think Collins should have more leeway to get the players he wants) but they recruit at NCAA minimums just like Vandy, Duke, etc.

How do you know this?
This article says they have higher standards.

https://accsports.com/acc-news/wake-forest-football-uptick-recruiting-trends/
They do. It’s possible to have great GSR by providing adequate resources to those who need them.

I’m not placing a value judgment on it (as this thread shows, I think Collins should have more leeway to get the players he wants) but they recruit at NCAA minimums just like Vandy, Duke, etc.
Don't think Duke or Vandy recruit using NCAA minimums.

How should I know? The article says the school “places higher classroom standards than most schools”. Why do you think they do t have higher standards?
Ok, so the school’s marketing vehicle says it so it must be right. I’ve done a short time in the industry and I’ve followed recruiting pretty closely since I started at NU. Schools do this all the time. Wisconsin does this by saying it requires an extra year of foreign language. However, when it come to core GPA and test scores, they recruit the minimum.

As far as I know, NU and Stanford are the only P5s who don’t recruit the minimums when it comes to the GPA/test score sliding scales (e.g., they have their own sliding scale).

It must be fun to be an NCAA minimum athlete at a school like Duke. NU students used to make derogatory remarks about the academic ability of NU football players who were all at least average to better than average students back in the day.

Ok, so the school’s marketing vehicle says it so it must be right. I’ve done a short time in the industry and I’ve followed recruiting pretty closely since I started at NU. Schools do this all the time. Wisconsin does this by saying it requires an extra year of foreign language. However, when it come to core GPA and test scores, they recruit the minimum.

As far as I know, NU and Stanford are the only P5s who don’t recruit the minimums when it comes to the GPA/test score sliding scales (e.g., they have their own sliding scale).
I didn’t say it must be right. I’m asking why you are right. Not sure what “a short time in the industry means” but I really don’t care either way. Wake was never hiring Collins.

I didn’t say it must be right. I’m asking why you are right. Not sure what “a short time in the industry means” but I really don’t care either way. Wake was never hiring Collins.
You gonna make that bet or are you all bark and no bite...like most Bernie bots.

They graduate 100% of their players. Minimum is what Illinois, Indiana, OSU, Pen St., MSU and Minnesota use
It’s fairly easy to graduate from a P5 school even being a minimum qualifier with the resources allotted to you. You just have to vaguely try.

You gonna make that bet or are you all bark and no bite...like most Bernie bots.
Oh, you are a cultist! That explains the misplaced anger.

I already offered (scroll up) a $50 bet NU would finish last or next to last. No takers. Try and keep up.....

Oh, you are a cultist! That explains the misplaced anger.

I already offered (scroll up) a $50 bet NU would finish last or next to last. No takers. Try and keep up.....
I know—I want to take it. Let me know how. And no, I’m not a cultist but thank you for playing.

There are multiple people who said they want to take that bet.

It must be fun to be an NCAA minimum athlete at a school like Duke. NU students used to make derogatory remarks about the academic ability of NU football players who were all at least average to better than average students back in the day.
We had a bunch of football players in our frat and I knew a lot from other frats. These guys were as bright as anyone on campus and today most are lawyers, doctors, successful businessmen, and professors. Look at how many of our more recent grads go to grad school. We have to stop looking at our athletes as marginal students; it simply is not true. That is why so many good athletes are rejected for admission - our standards are high for everyone.

I know—I want to take it. Let me know how. And no, I’m not a cultist but thank you for playing.

There are multiple people who said they want to take that bet.
None of them replied to my offer. Saying you want to make a bet and accepting a bet are not the same. So you and I have a bet. I win if NU finishes
last or next to last. You win all other scenarios.

ties go to me (so if there are 2 teams that tie for next to last and one of them is NU, I win).

None of them replied to my offer. Saying you want to make a bet and accepting a bet are not the same. So you and I have a bet. I win if NU finishes
last or next to last. You win all other scenarios.

ties go to me (so if there are 2 teams that tie for next to last and one of them is NU, I win).
That’s fine.

A lot of very smart people who go on to big things come out of those programs.

GOUNUII
Isn't it a good idea to have high standards for the athletes being admitted?? IMO, NU academics are rigorous in every subject. Every major at NU has difficult classes. To succeed, you need skills/smarts. The high graduation rates and high gpas of virtually all NU athletes almost always leads the nation. This fact is very logical. The athletes are just as smart/great students or more so than the other students that they compete with academically at NU. If our standards weren't high for athletes gettting admitted, they would fail out. NU profs aren't corrupt like the profs at other less-ethical schools/programs. YOu have to do the work and study if you want to graduate. Our results speak for themselves in the success rates of virtually all our athletes. And when our student athletes graduate, they are more than able to speak for themselves and accomplish amazing feats for another 40+ years....

Isn't it a good idea to have high standards for the athletes being admitted?? IMO, NU academics are rigorous in every subject. Every major at NU has difficult classes. To succeed, you need skills/smarts. The high graduation rates and high gpas of virtually all NU athletes almost always leads the nation. This fact is very logical. The athletes are just as smart/great students or more so than the other students that they compete with academically at NU. If our standards weren't high for athletes gettting admitted, they would fail out. NU profs aren't corrupt like the profs at other less-ethical schools/programs. YOu have to do the work and study if you want to graduate. Our results speak for themselves in the success rates of virtually all our athletes. And when our student athletes graduate, they are more than able to speak for themselves and accomplish amazing feats for another 40+ years....
Really???

Gotta feel for the new Wake coach. Three more players entered the transfer portal last night, leaving him with just 2 scholarship players. Too bad Jordan Ash is out of eligibility, could have been a starter there.....

Reactions: DaCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT