ADVERTISEMENT

Collins top candidate for Wake

I agree that admissions decisions need to be made on an individual basis, and I am very certain that they are. Grades, which reflect achievement, and test scores, which reflect ability, are not absolutely accurate determinants of academic success in college. But, they are the best indicators that we have. Hard work and character are better predictors of success after school than of success in school. As a professor for many years, I can say that the major difference between a school such as NU, Duke, or Stanford and schools such as Illinois State, for example, is the relative similarity in the abilities of the students. The top 5% of students are roughly the same at every institution. The difference is in the next 95%. At NU, there is very little difference between the top 5% and the bottom 25% of the student body. At a school like Illinois State, there is most likely a huge difference. Professors generally teach to the 65th or 70th percentile. Vocabulary, complexity of arguments, reading assignments (both length and sophistication), the amount of time devoted to reviewing materials and repeating emphases, and a host of other considerations are influenced by the nature of the students at the 65th - 70th percentile. No professor wants to talk over the heads of his students. At NU this rarely happens because even the worst students are quite bright, sophisticated, and accomplished. Admitting students who cannot reasonably understand lectures, reading materials, and discussions, just to win a few more basketball games, is grossly unfair to those students - not to mention the faculty and other students.

Thank you for the comprehensive argument. On thing to note, however, is the volume and scope of the issue. We are talking about a handful of people every year. Given that small number would there would be no real impact on a professor's ability to craft the lecture that he or she wanted to present to students. Moreover, this handful of people would have access to incredible 1v1 tutoring and mentorship, they would not be left to sink or swim on their own. Finally, I don't think the recruits we would have brought in (to use your words) "cannot reasonably understand the lectures." We were not recruiting people who were functionally illiterate. These were people who graduated from our peer (broadly defined) institutions like Michigan, Georgia Tech, Vanderbilt and Illinois.

I look at it from wakes perspective. Collins record in BIG is 43-87, with a last place and next to last place finish past 2 years (and a likely lady place finish if they have a 20-21 season. How in the world do you sell that to your fan base?

Likely last place finish in 20-21? I will take that action. Name your price.

I am not following this train of thought. If at NU there is very little difference between the top 5% and the next 95%, how are the athletes supposed to engage with their classmates if they don’t fit in that profile? Are you saying there is little difference between the admitted athletes and the general population?

I would bet our admitted athletes test score/GPA wise and no better than the average student at ISU. How do almost all of them seem to graduate? Tutors? If so, I see no issue with that as long as they complete the work. The big question to me as an athlete would be how do I with my 21 ACT fit in with the rest of the student body?
My point is that the discrepancies in admissions criteria between our athletes and the other students are not nearly as great as some people here may perceive. Of course, there may be some variances, but as I said earlier, admissions are made on the basis of personal evaluations considering more than just grades and test scores. That is true of all NU admissions, not just athletes. Clearly, we are only admitting students, including scholarship athletes, whom we believe can succeed at NU. That is great. The sense I have from some posts is that certain fans want to admit athletes whom our admissions people do not believe could succeed. That, in my opinion, would be a mistake and would rob NU of its special character. As an aside, my great friend for almost 50 years went to UW, but has come to know many NU alums both through me and by working in Chicago. He has repeatedly said that the admissions department (Shep Shanley years) did an unbelievable job in admitting great people. They may have been smart, but they were also fun and of high character. I hope that never changes.

Reactions: Gladeskat
My point is that the discrepancies in admissions criteria between our athletes and the other students are not nearly as great as some people here may perceive. Of course, there may be some variances, but as I said earlier, admissions are made on the basis of personal evaluations considering more than just grades and test scores. That is true of all NU admissions, not just athletes. Clearly, we are only admitting students, including scholarship athletes, whom we believe can succeed at NU. That is great. The sense I have from some posts is that certain fans want to admit athletes whom our admissions people do not believe could succeed. That, in my opinion, would be a mistake and would rob NU of its special character. As an aside, my great friend for almost 50 years went to UW, but has come to know many NU alums both through me and by working in Chicago. He has repeatedly said that the admissions department (Shep Shanley years) did an unbelievable job in admitting great people. They may have been smart, but they were also fun and of high character. I hope that never changes.

Admissions discrepancies between "regular students' and scholarship student athletes are vast.

Reactions: haywood jahblowme
Word is that James Naismith wanted to commit to NU but didn't have the grades, Henry Bienen wouldn't budge, and Carmody wasn't even on campus when Naismith visited.
This is all so reminiscent of the story of Tommy Amaker way back when interviewing for the NU job. He brought 3 transcripts of players and asked NU these are priority recruits if I get the job could I offer be sure these 3 could be admitted. Admissions said no - the three players who's names had been altered on the transcript were Christian Laettner, Bobby Hurley and Marty Clark

Reactions: willycat
This is all so reminiscent of the story of Tommy Amaker way back when interviewing for the NU job. He brought 3 transcripts of players and asked NU these are priority recruits if I get the job could I offer be sure these 3 could be admitted. Admissions said no - the three players who's names had been altered on the transcript were Christian Laettner, Bobby Hurley and Marty Clark
I wonder why it's reminiscent.

I feel like it’s a better story when Marty Clark’s name is omitted, which is how I heard it circa 2000.

Reactions: catsattackfor3
thewildcat2011 said:

It is centered at a board of trustees who do not want to, or know what it takes to, build a consistently successful program at a P5 level. Yes, this bleeds into admissions decisions, resource allocation, etc.

Collins is only operating with one hand behind his back because Phillips is an absolute master and untied the other hand by getting the facilities done. Phillips is by far the best athletic director in the country with what he has done at NU. The athletic department is very steady and very good, but there are institutional barriers that they simply can’t remove.

We can’t understate how absolutely lucky we are to have Fitz, that he was a big time player for us and a proud alum...he would not have stayed here otherwise. No coach would have the patience to deal with this group of numbskulls otherwise. Also, don’t forget that he has also used other jobs as leverage to get what he needed from the admin.

We are an academic institution that happens to play intercollegiate athletics at the highest level. Our priorities reflect that reality. It is part of what makes NU so special. Fitz has embraced it and made it work. I hope that our fans and alumni can as well.
[/quote]
From an NU alumni perspective that sentence sounds “normal” and might even evoke some pride. From an outsider perspective it easily comes across as elitist as fu#$

If there is a 20-21 season, there is no way we finish last. This team is ready to break out.

I doubt they finish last - hell, they went 8-23 this year and didn't finish last - but I also doubt they get out of playing on BTT Wednesday.

I'd LOVE to know the list of who didn't pass admissions. Maybe an all-time list?

But then again, maybe I wouldn't.
Grant Hill and Christian Laettner. Enuf said. They both were interested in NU when I was a student. I was told they didn't qualify academically. If they had, we might have become the Duke's of basketball.

Grant Hill and Christian Laettner. Enuf said. They both were interested in NU when I was a student. I was told they didn't qualify academically. If they had, we might have become the Duke's of basketball.
What I’ve heard is that every great Duke player starting with Jay Bilas and continuing to Chris Duhon preferred Northwestern but couldn’t get in. Also, Elton Brand had assured KON that the NU degree meant a ton to him, but that the Duke degree didn’t, so we would have gotten four years out of him. KON fled for the NBA out of frustration.

Bill Carmody agreed to come to NU only if he had the guarantee that those academic standards could be more like Duke’s (which is to say, ncaa minimums), but then he failed to show up for 11 consecutive official visits, and when he showed up for the 12th he said, “our locker rooms are embarrassing — still wanna come here?” and then shrugged and went home. You wonder why he’d even demand the loosening of standards, you know?

Last edited:
I doubt they finish last - hell, they went 8-23 this year and didn't finish last - but I also doubt they get out of playing on BTT Wednesday.
No Wednesday game, Styre. Shouldn't even be on the fence for it.

How many BIG games do they win? More than 5?

This is false. My understanding is the threshold for ACT scores for basketball/football is ~24. The average for NU as a whole is 33. (It’s out of 36.)

Yes, and some of us believe that high-character kids who are hard workers but might not quite reach the GPA/SAT threshold should be given a chance to succeed at NU, with eyes wide open to the academic and athletic expectations.
Isn't that entirely what the current basketball team is made up of? Tell me which lazy, low-character brainiacs we should kick off the current team to make room for these superstars trying to break down the doors to take NU to the final four.

If there's still NU basketball in 20 years, we'll probably still be debating admissions standards. Everyone agrees the requirements should be, and are, vastly lower than they are for the general student population. And this gap has only widened as NU has become far more selective overall since 1995. We disagree on the extent to which they should be lower, and whether they should be higher than our competitors, whether in the Big 10 or among similarly positioned private universities that compete at the highest level of athletics.

My main point is that there is nothing new to this discussion. Collins knew this when he arrived. If he didn't, then he has only himself to blame. We all know the Amaker story. Surely Collins has learned the situation by now. If he's concluded that he can no longer win at NU for this reason, and he's seeking other jobs or at least floating his name for them, then It's not tenable for him to stay. I hope he still wants to be here and believes he can win here.

If there's still NU basketball in 20 years, we'll probably still be debating admissions standards. Everyone agrees the requirements should be, and are, vastly lower than they are for the general student population. And this gap has only widened as NU has become far more selective overall since 1995. We disagree on the extent to which they should be lower, and whether they should be higher than our competitors, whether in the Big 10 or among similarly positioned private universities that compete at the highest level of athletics.

My main point is that there is nothing new to this discussion. Collins knew this when he arrived. If he didn't, then he has only himself to blame. We all know the Amaker story. Surely Collins has learned the situation by now. If he's concluded that he can no longer win at NU for this reason, and he's seeking other jobs or at least floating his name for them, then It's not tenable for him to stay. I hope he still wants to be here and believes he can win here.

IMO the student body is less diverse than its ever been. Not just talking about skin color. As the school has become more selective, it seems to choose the same type of kid whether from Beijing, Santa Monica or Naperville. I'd argue that a the kids on campus would learn more about the world if NU worked to bring in a more diverse population. Sports...all sports....are part of the solution.

U of C dropped standardized tests a year or so ago. That's new. And pretty revolutionary. Schools talk about the holistic admissions process....I'd like to see NU do a better job at bringing in more non traditional NU students....kids that can succeed and thrive there....and do so with deeper analysis of applicants.

The Liberty kid....angers me that there isn't a place for him on NU's campus basketball or no basketball.

... and he's seeking other jobs or at least floating his name for them ...

I take away only one thing from yesterday's Facebook interview. He's not shopping around.

This might be too incredibly simplistic, but nobody who wants to win employment - especially against a younger group - grows a gray corona goatee.

That's a guy who's comfortable.

I take away only one thing from yesterday's Facebook interview. He's not shopping around.

This might be too incredibly simplistic, but nobody who wants to win employment - especially against a younger group - grows a gray corona goatee.

That's a guy who's comfortable.

How does a guy who has gone 13-45 in conference play in the last three seasons really shop myself around? I mean, I’m sure he’s answering the phone if it rings, but it’s hard to imagine he’s got a ton to sell right now. His best bet is to catch one of the 5* kids in 2021 and ride them to another flash in the pan season that he can flip into a new gig at a program where he has a better shot at sustaining success.

Vassar makes a good point about 13-45. But it's also obvious some want to push him out the door.

I can understand mixed feelings about Chrissy. I can accept those and agree with many of them. But the 4 or 5 people who started this parade in '17-'18 or earlier need a reality check. It's obvious that's more than a basketball thing

My other cheap theory when wondering if someone wants to leave ... aaaaaaaaaaaaalways look at the age of the coach's kids.

Reactions: Gladeskat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT