ADVERTISEMENT

Commits in a bundle

Deeringfish

Gold Member
Jun 23, 2008
It seems to me that last year we had a rush of great commits all at once. I don't remember the time of year or who they were even but I remember we were all justifiably stoked about it. Is this a coincidence or are there conditions that precipitate these bundles coming in. Can it be fabricated in any way? When I say fabricated, I don't mean that it is artificial, I mean can the coaches create or take advantage of circumstances which cause a domino effect?

If you can remember the event last year, I'd be curious to know how those guys are progressing.

It seems to me that last year we had a rush of great commits all at once. I don't remember the time of year or who they were even but I remember we were all justifiably stoked about it. Is this a coincidence or are there conditions that precipitate these bundles coming in. Can it be fabricated in any way? When I say fabricated, I don't mean that it is artificial, I mean can the coaches create or take advantage of circumstances which cause a domino effect?

If you can remember the event last year, I'd be curious to know how those guys are progressing.

June was the big commitment month for the class of 2016, 13 guys in that month. Seven players committed in a 4 day period. There were 3 commits in April, and 2 in May.

You can get the data from the Rivals database, just sort by "Commit Date".

We saw it with Taylor -- Brown committed, the coaches let Taylor know there was one more DE spot, so he took it. NU's coaches don't really fabricate pressure to get kids to commit, just present the situation and let the kids decide. It's more about scholarship scarcity at certain positions.

We saw it with Taylor -- Brown committed, the coaches let Taylor know there was one more DE spot, so he took it. NU's coaches don't really fabricate pressure to get kids to commit, just present the situation and let the kids decide. It's more about scholarship scarcity at certain positions.
Exactly. I would think that you'd never want to pressure a young man because of the likelihood of a decommit later. Then you're screwed, as other prospects have moved on. Fortunately, pressuring recruits does not seem to be in Fitz's DNA.

Fabricate was a bad word choice, I hadn't had my coffee.

Taylor? Do you mean Kent?

How do you know this? I obviously have no clue, but am curious what info you have to support this opinion.......

How he knows it aside, it's just not. Fitz's belief is that a kid should commit when he has fully "bought into" the program, never earlier.

Not sure why I keep doing that... maybe because Kent Taylor was a recruit a while back?

Yes ... Kent Taylor was a high profile TE recruit (son of former NU and TB Bucs OT Rob Taylor) a few years back out of Florida. I think he gave us a courtesy visit, then signed with the Florida Gators and ended up transferring to play for Charlie at Kansas. Didn't play much for bad Jayhawk teams. May have struggled at times with injuries.

GOUNUII

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT