ADVERTISEMENT

Connecticut Looks Awesome...but they aren't being tested

Stetson lost twice to Chicago State, once by double digits. They were definitely the WORST team in the field.

Connecticut is really good, Someone tried to compare them to Purdue in the other thread.... not even close. While Edey is better, UConn has a pretty dominant big man too. The difference is UConn has athletic guards who get in your grill and then two shooters in Spencer and Karaban. They are complete.

But, it could be a lot of fun if we can stick around for a little bit and put the pressure on them.

Connecticut is really good, Someone tried to compare them to Purdue in the other thread.... not even close. While Edey is better, UConn has a pretty dominant big man too. The difference is UConn has athletic guards who get in your grill and then two shooters in Spencer and Karaban. They are complete.

But, it could be a lot of fun if we can stick around for a little bit and put the pressure on them.
It still pains me to see Cam Spencer on that team. Can't blame him for making that choice though. Not sure we ever offered him in the portal.

Reactions: hdhntr1
Their rotation depth is gonna be a problem for us, especially down Nicholson and Berry.
Actually, the one good thing is UConn is not very deep in the middle. Their backup center is ok, but a big drop off from Clingan. And then there is nobody else. You find a way to get Clingan in any kind of foul trouble, things get interesting.

Actually, the one good thing is UConn is not very deep in the middle. Their backup center is ok, but a big drop off from Clingan. And then there is nobody else. You find a way to get Clingan in any kind of foul trouble, things get interesting.

They still roll a lot of guys through. Will be tough to keep up the same level of intensity we did against FAU for the second time in three days, especially when UCONN basically coasted today against Stetson.

Yeah, their starters got a lot of rest today. But that's part of your reward for being number 1.

They still roll a lot of guys through. Will be tough to keep up the same level of intensity we did against FAU for the second time in three days, especially when UCONN basically coasted today against Stetson.
If you can’t get fired up for the best team in the country, then you are playing the wrong sport.

Absolutely agree

Minor point and I guess it doesn’t matter but im watching the UCONN game and it seems at 19-4, a Stetson player shoots a three off the backboard that goes in. But the score doesn’t change. At first I expected there to be a delay in the score keeping, but no, they never gave Stetson those points. Of course it didn’t matter to the outcome but wtf? If our game is closer and they make a mistake like that, I’d be super pissed.

CCC will have to remind everybody to shoot like they're playing Minny.

NU nearly always plays against the favorite. The UCONN champs are no different. NU D can slow UCONN down, but NU will have to score with UCONN.

Champions often win easily by getting ahead and causing the opponent to press, then make more mistakes and the game is lost. NU will have to keep steady.

Every game NU plays needs to be the best game of their lives!!! Like on Friday!!! GO CATS!!!

UConn’s losses were Kansas, Seton Hall (December), and Creighton (February).

Creighton won by going bombs away (14-28 from 3), and by taking care of the ball (7 turnovers). But UConn only turned it over 9 times, and also collected 15 offensive boards. The Creighton game was never close, and Creighton won by 20.

Seton Hall won very differently, but also comfortably. They never trailed in the second half and won by 15. Hall was only 3 of 8 from 3, but had 11 steals as part of UConn’s 17 turnovers. Hall had 14 offensive boards, but UConn had 19. UConn shot poorly from the field, hitting only 37% overall and 4 of 21 from 3.

What strikes me is that UConn, even in losses, made their free throws. It’ll be important to be ahead late (duh). UConn is killer on the o-glass like always, so NU has to accept that it’ll happen and box out harder the next possession.

NU almost always holds onto the ball. This will be a "make shots" game, period.

Pressure is on the centers and Mart to play strong and win extra possessions,
and on absolutely everybody to box out.

Boo is an electric and demonstrative player. We’ll be the second game, after Duke and JMU which should have good crowds. Hopefully the JMU purple mafia joins the real purple mafia and makes this upset happen. I like it.

Reactions: GatoLouco and NJCat
Boo is an electric and demonstrative player. We’ll be the second game, after Duke and JMU which should have good crowds. Hopefully the JMU purple mafia joins the real purple mafia and makes this upset happen. I like it.
I also hope the (hated) Dukies also get on board for their alum CCC....

Reactions: CatManTrue
I also hope the (hated) Dukies also get on board for their alum CCC....
They will.

CCC was an assistant at Seton Hall and impressed a lot of local NJ/NYC fans… SH would have hired him in a second if he were available.

His dad is also very popular in the East Coast basketball scene due to his Philadelphia days (my aunt went to college with him at ISU and says he was a great guy back then… the Collins men are good dudes).

UConn is also generally hated in the greater NYC area.

Just about everyone outside of Hartford will be cheering for us tomorrow.

So we have that going for us, which is nice.

UConn’s losses were Kansas, Seton Hall (December), and Creighton (February).

Creighton won by going bombs away (14-28 from 3), and by taking care of the ball (7 turnovers). But UConn only turned it over 9 times, and also collected 15 offensive boards. The Creighton game was never close, and Creighton won by 20.

Seton Hall won very differently, but also comfortably. They never trailed in the second half and won by 15. Hall was only 3 of 8 from 3, but had 11 steals as part of UConn’s 17 turnovers. Hall had 14 offensive boards, but UConn had 19. UConn shot poorly from the field, hitting only 37% overall and 4 of 21 from 3.

What strikes me is that UConn, even in losses, made their free throws. It’ll be important to be ahead late (duh). UConn is killer on the o-glass like always, so NU has to accept that it’ll happen and box out harder the next possession.

NU almost always holds onto the ball. This will be a "make shots" game, period.

Pressure is on the centers and Mart to play strong and win extra possessions,
and on absolutely everybody to box out.

Good scouting report. That’s been my impression too, a “make shots” game.

Gotta be above-average from 3. Gotta make free throws. REALLY gotta make point-blank looks that didn’t go against FAU.

NU has the demonstrated ability to win the turnover margin by a healthy amount, which is always a positive. If memory serves in that ugly FAU first half, the Owls took 12 fewer shots than NU. That’s insane. It won’t be easy against UConn but make them work, keep it close and then let March Madness do its thing.

NU is the biggest underdog in the second round if spreads are to be believed. Nothing to lose. LET’S GO.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT