ADVERTISEMENT

Connecticut

With a chance to make a Final Four, I don’t think Brad and the team are concerned about a transitive property ‘loss’ to Northwestern. Losing by 1 or 30 hurts the exact same because it means the end of a special season.

I just think the moral victory act is bizarre. Managing to “win” the second half by 5, in a game where UConn dominated wire to wire, is just an odd thing to even make note of much less discuss for days afterward. Celebrate Boo, celebrate a good season and consecutive NCAAT berths, and day dream about what could be in future seasons. But acting like it matters that UConn got bored and didn’t run up the score any more is loser talk and it’s bizarre to me.
Speaking of bizarre, wait until you hear about a couple of IL fans whose brain somehow gets triggered to post on a board of another school, sometimes on subjects that have nothing to do with IL. You will be floored.

With a chance to make a Final Four, I don’t think Brad and the team are concerned about a transitive property ‘loss’ to Northwestern. Losing by 1 or 30 hurts the exact same because it means the end of a special season.

I just think the moral victory act is bizarre. Managing to “win” the second half by 5, in a game where UConn dominated wire to wire, is just an odd thing to even make note of much less discuss for days afterward. Celebrate Boo, celebrate a good season and consecutive NCAAT berths, and day dream about what could be in future seasons. But acting like it matters that UConn got bored and didn’t run up the score any more is loser talk and it’s bizarre to me.
Nobody is saying it “mattered” other than to us. It gave us something to cheer for in that last game and more positive vibes around Boo leaving the floor the final time, etc. We were a 9 seed, the details of our squishing at the hands of a one seed juggernaut aren’t relevant beyond our own personal emotional enjoyment. It gave us at least one last chance to watch the boys play well and make some shots before we never see this special team ever again. We don’t have a glorious history to look back on, this season IS our glorious history, and the second half squeezed a few precious last drops out of it.

I appreciate the announcers were patting us on the head for it, but honestly I found that a little patronizing. Our little second half run was for us. Our body of work all season is plenty to show the nation and receive respect for.

Seems possible. If UConn shoots even average from 3, NU loses by 30ish too.
We also shot poorly from the field. Some due to defense, some due to being cold for an entire half. I don't see a way we win or even get much closer, but if they shot average 3s and we shot average from field, probably not 30 point margin

Reactions: techtim72

By definition, UCONN did not dominate wire to wire. While we are not on their level, we made a very strong showing in the second half. If you want to believe Hurley would ever let his players coast, then you are in for a surprise tomorrow.

A game is two different halves; we see that so often, and coaches and players know that. It’s not bizarre to think our team played very well in the second half.

Nobody is saying it “mattered” other than to us. It gave us something to cheer for in that last game and more positive vibes around Boo leaving the floor the final time, etc. We were a 9 seed, the details of our squishing at the hands of a one seed juggernaut aren’t relevant beyond our own personal emotional enjoyment. It gave us at least one last chance to watch the boys play well and make some shots before we never see this special team ever again. We don’t have a glorious history to look back on, this season IS our glorious history, and the second half squeezed a few precious last drops out of it.

I appreciate the announcers were patting us on the head for it, but honestly I found that a little patronizing. Our little second half run was for us. Our body of work all season is plenty to show the nation and receive respect for.
Exactly. Well put, and you summarized my own feelings very nicely.

Speaking of bizarre, wait until you hear about a couple of IL fans whose brain somehow gets triggered to post on a board of another school, sometimes on subjects that have nothing to do with IL. You will be floored.
I was just commenting as a fan of college basketball. In fact, I just gave Collins the praises he deserves!

The final score was 75-58, which almost looks kind of respectable for a nine seed losing to a # 1 juggernaut. The first-half score was 40-18, which if repeated in the second half is 80-36. No amount of spin would make 80-36 look pretty good.

So yeah, some NU fans are hanging their hats on the second-half 40-35 "win" over UConn from Sunday, mostly because there wasn't much else to be excited about. Barnhizer and Langborg played much better in the second half, so that was fun. Boo emotionally left the floor with a minute to go, so that was nice for us. Hurlbut got into the game, which didn't do anything for me, but hell, he played in an NCAA tourney game!

Yes, the second half was way better and more fun than the second half.

Reactions: No Chores
UConn whooped us, plain and simple. Without Matt and Ty, we really had no chance.

I think the Illini have a decent shot here. They are big and athletic. Illinois' defense has been indifferent most of the season, despite the length and athleticism, but they are talented enough to give UConn a real test. Finding a way to stop Clingan is job one on defense. then make the those guards work for their shots.

Last edited:
UConn whooped us, plain and simple. Without Matt and Ty, we really had no chance.

I think the Illini have a decent shot here. They are bit and athletic. Illinois' defense has been indifferent most of the season, despite the length and athleticism, but they are talented enough to give UConn a real test. Finding a way to stop Clingan is job one on defense. then make the those guards work for their shots.
Clingan vs vs Dainja might be really interesting

Is any team the same class that’s missing two starters?
Having Nicholson and Berry of course would have helped but when you’re playing a team that’s top 6 in offensive AND defensive efficiency and you need to capitalize on opportunities. We had a ton of reasonable looks early and put up bricks, esp from Barnhizer. It allowed the team to key in on Boo and the supporting cast couldn’t pick up the slack.

When don’t make the most of your opportunities against teams that have the ability to score at will you run into major problems. See our first game against Illinois for reference.

The way the Cats kept their heads up and fought to the very end was admirable and I’m proud of the team. But the idea that UConn had zero let down while up 30 is silly.

Personally I felt like UConn was toying with us.
It was 57-27 with 13.5 minutes to go.
Teams usually try to win the game, after that they make sure to cover the point spread.
The spread was 13.5. UConn covered.

The sad truth is that when Hunger, Martinelli and Langborg were on the court together, NU got outscored 40-14 in 14+ minutes of action. Thats almost 3-1.

When Blake Smith or Justin Mullins came into the game for either Martinelli or Langborg, we outscored UConn 31-16 in about 15.5 minutes of action. From the 14:40 mark to the 1:24 mark Martinelli and Langborg were only on the court together for 52 seconds. NU rallied from 55-27 to 72-56.

Is that UConn easing up or NU finding successful lineups too late? Or both?

Reactions: drewjin
Teams usually try to win the game, after that they make sure to cover the point spread.

The sad truth is that when Hunger, Martinelli and Langborg were on the court together, NU got outscored 40-14 in 14+ minutes of action. Thats almost 3-1.

When Blake Smith or Justin Mullins came into the game for either Martinelli or Langborg, we outscored UConn 31-16 in about 15.5 minutes of action. From the 14:40 mark to the 1:24 mark Martinelli and Langborg were only on the court together for 52 seconds. NU rallied from 55-27 to 72-56.

I tend to think it's more the former than the latter, but it's possible that the kinds of players that Martinelli and Langborg were better at defending throughout the year were nothing compared to the kinds of players they needed to defend on Sunday. Doesn't necessarily mean Mullins/Smith were better matchups against UConn, because I definitely believe there was some easing up, but against, say Nebraska, Martinelli and Langborg could keep up with the their men, and on Sunday, they could not.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
Am I the only one who hopes UConn wrecks Illannoy tomorrow?

I hope UConn does them dirtier than Shannon Junior allegedly did that poor young woman in Kansas.

It will almost be worth our tough loss to Uconn if they beat Illannoy by 20+. Which they could.

Small sample size, different points of the game, and playing against a different line up.

PWB, I hope you aren’t suggesting we dominate the game at a 31-16 pace if Smith or Mullins are subbed in for Marty or Langborg? We would likely have a 36-6 first half score with that line up. Either way it’s a giant deficit. There’s very little we could have done to significantly impact the outcome. We were out talented by A LOT.

I think the Illini have a decent shot here. They are big and athletic. Illinois' defense has been indifferent most of the season, despite the length and athleticism, but they are talented enough to give UConn a real test. Finding a way to stop Clingan is job one on defense. then make the those guards work for their shots.
Oh boy, here you go again HJ. Sure you are aren’t describing your man crush Nebraska?

I said before the tournament, Illinois had the best chance in the Big because of that talent. There is no doubt they could win a single game. It’s basketball. A NBA like series, no chance.

For the Undies to win, Luka Donic has to score a lot, TSJ has to limit the bull in the China Shop drives, and CoHawk has to hit from the outside. Most importantly, UConn has to have an off night shooting. The Undies haven’t exactly been a defensive machine, so UConn should have plenty of open looks. What is the over/under on CoHawk bitching about a call? 30 seconds?

We should know early if this will be a game. The Undies are playing with house money. Might as well play loose and balls to the wall. If they pull it off the resident trolls will post more here than they do On the Illini board. Love those guys!

Yeah, no.

NU had the same kind of first half scoring the game before. The real difference in the halves was the Cats missed almost all of their open shots in the first half, and made closer to their normal rate in the second. Just like the game before.

The difference was the Cats were far less effective defending UConn.

UConn was going full bore from the first whistle and was still pushing hard the last minute of the game.

Yeah, no.

NU had the same kind of first half scoring the game before. The real difference in the halves was the Cats missed almost all of their open shots in the first half, and made closer to their normal rate in the second. Just like the game before.

The difference was the Cats were far less effective defending UConn.

UConn was going full bore from the first whistle and was still pushing hard the last minute of the game.
Well it seems like people will tell themselves anything they want.

Oh boy, here you go again HJ. Sure you are aren’t describing your man crush Nebraska?

I said before the tournament, Illinois had the best chance in the Big because of that talent. There is no doubt they could win a single game. It’s basketball. A NBA like series, no chance.

For the Undies to win, Luka Donic has to score a lot, TSJ has to limit the bull in the China Shop drives, and CoHawk has to hit from the outside. Most importantly, UConn has to have an off night shooting. The Undies haven’t exactly been a defensive machine, so UConn should have plenty of open looks. What is the over/under on CoHawk bitching about a call? 30 seconds?

We should know early if this will be a game. The Undies are playing with house money. Might as well play loose and balls to the wall. If they pull it off the resident trolls will post more here than they do On the Illini board. Love those guys!
I will say if the Undies win this game, they probably win it all.

Reactions: No Chores
I'll be rooting for Illinois and Purdue to reach the final 4. This would help recruiting for everybody in the Big Ten, including NU, which beat both of these teams! :)

I'll be rooting for Illinois and Purdue to reach the final 4. This would help recruiting for everybody in the Big Ten, including NU, which beat both of these teams! :)
Absolutely not. They’re both super annoying, nasty fan bases and Illinois is our biggest rival. I hope they both lose by 30. I respect their teams but wish them nothing but failure.

And for that Illini troll earlier in the thread… we lost to UConn by 17 without 2 starters. Most teams couldn’t do that so F off.

Illinois has a lot of firepower and can score in a variety of ways.
Hawkins outside, Dainja inside, Shannon and Domask playing physically. Luke Goode from outside.
Illini's Ty Rodgers' defense is going to give UConn's Newton some problems.
Hawkins needs to make some shots outside to get Klingan out of the paint.
8.5 points is an awful lot.
I can see Illinois winning.

Why does an Illinois win over UConn require miracles to occur and the stars to align? Yes, UConn is a very good team, but Illinois has lots of talent and Shannon is playing at a high level. It's going to be a close game, and the Illini may come away with the win.

The Illini should be in the game with a chance to win in my opinion. I could be way off, of course, but I would take them and the 8.5 points.
I’d smash UConn if I was in a state to do so at that price, and I think Illinois has a chance. All the analytics have them at more like 12, only giving 8 is a discount.

Two things we agree upon:
1) Illini can win this game
2) PPD trash talks like a middle schooler

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
I’d smash UConn if I was in a state to do so at that price, and I think Illinois has a chance. All the analytics have them at more like 12, only giving 8 is a discount.
Am I reading Torvik wrong? He has it Conn 82-74 (7.7 point margin)
Game is in Boston, not sure if he is giving home court advantage to Conn.

I have it Conn 81.3 Illinois 75.5 on a neutral court.

Not sure what Ken Pom does with his Adjusted Efficiencies to predict a score, but he and Torvik are usually close.

Am I reading Torvik wrong? He has it Conn 82-74 (7.7 point margin)
Game is in Boston, not sure if he is giving home court advantage to Conn.

I have it Conn 81.3 Illinois 75.5 on a neutral court.

Not sure what Ken Pom does with his Adjusted Efficiencies to predict a score, but he and Torvik are usually close.
You’re right on Torvik, could be a slight deviation between them.

9-0 start for UConn. We weren't even that scared.

Did Underwood learn anything from the NU game? UCONN is running the same sets and getting what they want. And Clingan is killing them. Sounds familiar.

Illinois has settled down now, but only while Clingan was on the bench

Illinois has settled down now, but only while Clingan was on the bench
Not sure why Hurley just sat Clingan for 4+ minutes. Perhaps to avoid him picking up his second foul early. A key for Illinois to staying in this game is to get Clingan in foul trouble.

Not sure why Hurley just sat Clingan for 4+ minutes. Perhaps to avoid him picking up his second foul early. A key for Illinois to staying in this game is to get Clingan in foul trouble.
The refs are jobbing UConn. Is the fix in?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT