ADVERTISEMENT

Corey Davis WMU - 5th pick

Who knows if Trubisky will be any good. But he would have been there at #3 without losing 3 picks. Dumb, panic move.

To expect the Chicago Bears to do dumb shit is par for the course. Drafting Trubisky and giving up all those future picks to do it is consistent with the program. Corey going at #5 (love my fellow Wheaton guys) is WAY more surprising. Very happy for Corey Davis. Laughing at da Bears.

In a losing effort against Western Michigan, Austin Carr had five receptions for 75 yards. Number five pick Cory Davis had seven receptions for 70 yards.

Walker's draft status being hurt by the fact that NFL teams aren't drafting defensive players this year.

Which part?

My point was merely that drafting Corey Davis at #5 is (for me) quite surprising. The Bears puking out many draft choices to move up to draft Trubisky at #3 is a joke but it is not surprising given the ineptitude of the organization. So I do not consider the drafting of Corey D. at #5 almost as big of a shock, I consider it way more surprising.

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
Walker's draft status being hurt by the fact that NFL teams aren't drafting defensive players this year.

So far defensive players selected with the first pick, the third pic, the sixth pick, Well you get the point

My point was merely that drafting Corey Davis at #5 is (for me) quite surprising. The Bears puking out many draft choices to move up to draft Trubisky at #3 is a joke but it is not surprising given the ineptitude of the organization. So I do not consider the drafting of Corey D. at #5 almost as big of a shock, I consider it way more surprising.
Don't short the Bears - they picked him at #2.

Who knows if Trubisky will be any good. But he would have been there at #3 without losing 3 picks. Dumb, panic move.

No he wouldn't have. Cleveland was trying to trade up with SF to get him. Trubisky was going 2nd no matter what. Can't fault Pace for going for it. He obviously felt this guy was a franchise QB and decided to go up and get him. If he is right the trade will look great, if he is wrong, Pace will get fired.

By the way, do you guys remember that FItz offered Trubisky early during his recruitment? I think we had a decent shot at him if NC had not offered.

Last edited:
No he wouldn't have. Cleveland was trying to trade up with SF to get him. Trubisky was going 2nd no matter what.

By the way, do you guys remember that FItz offered Trubisky early during his recruitment? I think we had a decent shot at him if NC had not offered.
If the browns thought that highly of him they would have picked him #1. A franchise QB is more impactful than a franchise DE.

No he wouldn't have. Cleveland was trying to trade up with SF to get him. Trubisky was going 2nd no matter what. Can't fault Pace for going for it. He obviously felt this guy was a franchise QB and decided to go up and get him. If he is right the trade will look great, if he is wrong, Pace will get fired.

I clearly remember Fitz offering Trubisky. I thought his highlights looked good, but didn't dream he would end up a #2 pick.

If the browns thought that highly of him they would have picked him #1. A franchise QB is more impactful than a franchise DE.

The Browns thought they could get both. Pace shocked everybody by jumping in the mix. Like I said, can't be critical of a GM who identifies a franchise QB and goes after him. I think I would have taken Watson but obviously Pace felt Trubisky was head and shoulders above the rest. He put his job on the line. You've got to respect that type of conviction.

That makes no sense Corbi. If either the Browns or 49ers thought Mitch was worthy of the no.2 pick, they would have taken him with the 1st or 2nd picks. 95% chance he's available at No.3.

The Browns thought they could get both. Pace shocked everybody by jumping in the mix. Like I said, can't be critical of a GM who identifies a franchise QB and goes after him. I think I would have taken Watson but obviously Pace felt Trubisky was head and shoulders above the rest. He put his job on the line. You've got to respect that type of conviction.

Nobody graded Mitch as a franchise QB. Bears decision makers just got fleeced. BIG TIME.

Reactions: mikewebb68
That makes no sense Corbi. If either the Browns or 49ers thought Mitch was worthy of the no.2 pick, they would have taken him with the 1st or 2nd picks. 95% chance he's available at No.3.

What do you mean? Cleveland wanted Myles Garrett and Trubisky. They knew SF was drafting defense and would want Garrett if Cleveland took Trubisky first. So Cleveland took Garrett and thought they could entice SF with enough picks to pass on Thomas and trade the #2 pick. They didn't count on the Bears stepping in with a trade offer. CLeveland offered SF more picks than the Bears but the Bears offer was more attracttove to SF because it enabled them to still get Thomas.

To expect the Chicago Bears to do dumb shit is par for the course. Drafting Trubisky and giving up all those future picks to do it is consistent with the program. Corey going at #5 (love my fellow Wheaton guys) is WAY more surprising. Very happy for Corey Davis. Laughing at da Bears.

+1. The mock draft boards I read had every pick up to the Jets going to the defensive side of the ball.

Nobody graded Mitch as a franchise QB. Bears decision makers just got fleeced. BIG TIME.

I saw several talent evaluators giving him a similar grade to what Wentz and Mariotta had when they came out. The Eagles and Titans traded more picks to come up and get those two guys. You can disagree with the evaluation but if Trubisky shows as much as Wentz and Marriotta have shown so far, then Pace did not overpay.

Last edited:

That's not accurate. You can disagree with the evaluation but NFL.com's own grading scale says among QBs drafted since this grading scale was put in place since 2014, only James Winston received as high a draft rating as Mitch Trubisky.

Now let's compare all four seasons side by side.

1.Jameis Winston - 6.7, Mitch Trubisky - 6.7

3. Carson Wentz - 6.53

4. Jared Goff - 6.51

5. Deshaun Watson - 6.39

6. Marcus Mariota - 6.27

7. Blake Bortles - 6.22

8. Paxton Lynch - 6.17

9. Teddy Bridgewater - 6.15

10. Derek Carr - 6.14

11. Johnny Manziel -6.12,

12. Patrick Mahomes - 5.9

13. Deshone Kizer - 5.88

14. Nathan Peterman - 5.85, Connor Cook - 5.85

16. Jimmy Garoppolo - 5.82

Moves like this cost people their job.

Since 1998:
Curtis Enis
Cade McNown
Brian Urlacher
David Terrell
Marc Colombo
Michael Haynes
Rex is our quarterback
CDC Benson
Greg Olsen
Chris Williams
Gabe Carimi
Shea McClellan
Kyle Long
Kyle Fuller
Kevin White
Leonard Floyd

One of these is not like the others

What do you mean? Cleveland wanted Myles Garrett and Trubisky. They knew SF was drafting defense and would want Garrett if Cleveland took Trubisky first. So Cleveland took Garrett and thought they could entice SF with enough picks to pass on Thomas and trade the #2 pick. They didn't count on the Bears stepping in with a trade offer. CLeveland offered SF more picks than the Bears but the Bears offer was more attracttove to SF because it enabled them to still get Thomas.

That's a pretty fact specific scenario Corbi. Your source? I work with the Browns front office. Will speak with Sashi after the dust settles and get the scoop. Still makes no sense that Browns would pursue the 2nd pick unless they were certain Chicago was picking Mitch at 3. In fact, they would have likely targeted Chicago's pick at no.3 before speaking with the 49ers. We'll know for sure soon enough. At best, I can see the Browns taking a flyer on moving up that far, but only if the price was very attractive.

GOUNUII

WalterFootball had a pretty good grade on the bears pick. Lol

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades.php

bearsb_logo.gif
Chicago Bears: Mitchell Trubisky, QB, North Carolina: MILLEN TRUBISKY Grade
I... I don't even know anymore. WTF are the Bears doing!? They paid Mike Glennon so much money, and yet they gave up the No. 3 overall selection, two thirds and a fourth... for a mediocre quarterback prospect? Wow.

Wow.

This is one of the worst draft moves ever made. If the Bears just took Trubisky at No. 3, that would be bad, but not horrible. Actually, it would be horrible, but this is a franchise-ruining selection. Trubisky over Solomon Thomas echoes Blaine Gabbert over J.J. Watt and Blake Bortles over Khalil Mack. Way to pull a Jaguars, Chicago.
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades.php#4jHKDqK3pIOHuDgU.99

That's a pretty fact specific scenario Corbi. Your source? I work with the Browns front office. Will speak with Sashi after the dust settles and get the scoop. Still makes no sense that Browns would pursue the 2nd pick unless they were certain Chicago was picking Mitch at 3. In fact, they would have likely targeted Chicago's pick at no.3 before speaking with the 49ers. We'll know for sure soon enough. At best, I can see the Browns taking a flyer on moving up that far, but only if the price was very attractive.

GOUNUII

Well, if you work with the Browns front office, then you should be able to get the straight story. It's well documented that the Browns liked and wanted Trubisky. That is no secret. It was also clear the Bears were drafting a QB with their first pick. If you want first pick of QBs and you know Chicago at 3 is picking a QB, then you have to trade up to 2 in order to get your QB. The only reason the Bears were able to pull the trade off is SF wanted Thomas and they new Thomas would not be around at #12.

Like I said, it's a trade I probably would not have made. I have watched very little of Trubisky but the little I have seen, I like. I would likely have stayed at #3 or traded back a little and drafted Deshaun Watson, a kid I love. That being said, I think Pace is a very good talent evaluator and you have to respect his willingness to put his job on the line to go up and get a kid he obviously felt was the best QB in this draft.

WalterFootball had a pretty good grade on the bears pick. Lol

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades.php

bearsb_logo.gif
Chicago Bears: Mitchell Trubisky, QB, North Carolina: MILLEN TRUBISKY Grade
I... I don't even know anymore. WTF are the Bears doing!? They paid Mike Glennon so much money, and yet they gave up the No. 3 overall selection, two thirds and a fourth... for a mediocre quarterback prospect? Wow.

Wow.

This is one of the worst draft moves ever made. If the Bears just took Trubisky at No. 3, that would be bad, but not horrible. Actually, it would be horrible, but this is a franchise-ruining selection. Trubisky over Solomon Thomas echoes Blaine Gabbert over J.J. Watt and Blake Bortles over Khalil Mack. Way to pull a Jaguars, Chicago.
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades.php#4jHKDqK3pIOHuDgU.99

The whole Glennon signing has nothing to do with this pick. Glennon's contract can essentially become a 1 year/$17.5mm deal. He starts next year while Trubisky sits and learns. If Glennon does well, then the Bears have potentially two good QBs on their hands. A good problem to have. If Glennon does not play well next year, then the Bears already have their future QB on their roster rather than sitting here next year with no solutions at QB. I think the logic with the signing of Glennon and drafting of Trubisky is solid. You may disagree with the Bears talent assessments but you can't criticize them for proactively addressing a problem area that has plagued their franchise since Jim McMahon left the Bears.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT