ADVERTISEMENT

Corey Davis WMU - 5th pick

..... I think I would have taken Watson but obviously Pace felt Trubisky was head and shoulders above the rest. He put his job on the line. You've got to respect that type of conviction.

[QUOTE="corbi296, post: 421652, member: 538"

Like I said, it's a trade I probably would not have made. I have watched very little of Trubisky but the little I have seen, I like. I would likely have stayed at #3 or traded back a little and drafted Deshaun Watson, a kid I love. .....[/QUOTE]

Comparing Trubisky with Watson there must have been some major negatives that the Bears saw in Watson, at least for their system. Curious what those were.

Since 1998:
Curtis Enis
Cade McNown
Brian Urlacher
David Terrell
Marc Colombo
Michael Haynes
Rex is our quarterback
CDC Benson
Greg Olsen
Chris Williams
Gabe Carimi
Shea McClellan
Kyle Long
Kyle Fuller
Kevin White
Leonard Floyd

One of these is not like the others

Urlacher!

Huh?

We are 10 picks in.
Wasn't really a serious comment, of course. Just struck by the run of offensive players being selected at that point including, surprisingly, my Bengals who need help on defense.

I think the logic with the signing of Glennon and drafting of Trubisky is solid. You may disagree with the Bears talent assessments but you can't criticize them for proactively addressing a problem area that has plagued their franchise since Jim McMahon left the Bears.

I resonate with this part. What I will be curious to see is what this guy's attitude is. The Bears failure at QB IMO hasn't been arm strength or skill, its been leadership style. Not a humble molecule.

The Titans had two picks in the first round and they used both for "best fit" picks rather than "most talented available" picks. The GM will either be a hero or a goat very soon.

I resonate with this part. What I will be curious to see is what this guy's attitude is. The Bears failure at QB IMO hasn't been arm strength or skill, its been leadership style. Not a humble molecule.

I agree, in part. Jay Cutler had some great physical traits but he also had some very bad traits, mostly lack of composure and accuracy under pressure. His most glaring deficiency however was his lack of leadership and interpersonal skills. I think he lacked what today is called emotional intelligence. Guys just didn't like him and you can't be a successful NFL QB if nobody likes or respects you.

I don't think Trubisky has those issues.

I agree, in part. Jay Cutler had some great physical traits but he also had some very bad traits, mostly lack of composure and accuracy under pressure. His most glaring deficiency however was his lack of leadership and interpersonal skills. I think he lacked what today is called emotional intelligence. Guys just didn't like him and you can't be a successful NFL QB if nobody likes or respects you.

I don't think Trubisky has those issues.

This isn't really true at all. Wasn't really a fan of Cutler the QB, but his teammates swear by him.

Reactions: Inovacat
The whole Glennon signing has nothing to do with this pick. Glennon's contract can essentially become a 1 year/$17.5mm deal. He starts next year while Trubisky sits and learns. If Glennon does well, then the Bears have potentially two good QBs on their hands. A good problem to have. If Glennon does not play well next year, then the Bears already have their future QB on their roster rather than sitting here next year with no solutions at QB. I think the logic with the signing of Glennon and drafting of Trubisky is solid. You may disagree with the Bears talent assessments but you can't criticize them for proactively addressing a problem area that has plagued their franchise since Jim McMahon left the Bears.
That's the problem - it feels like they are trying to make up for 30 years of average or well below average QB play with one desperate move.

This isn't really true at all. Wasn't really a fan of Cutler the QB, but his teammates swear by him.

What do you think his teammates are going to say about him while he is their teammate? Most of those same teammates that had good things to say don't have good things to say after they are no longer his teammate. The guy is a modern day Jeff George.

That's the problem - it feels like they are trying to make up for 30 years of average or well below average QB play with one desperate move.

Perhaps that is a factor at play although Pace does not strike me as impulsive. This evaluation and trade was methodical and planned out. If you listen to Pace yesterday, you can certainly conclude he thought the franchise's main problem under his tenure has been the lack of good QB play. He knows without it you can't win a Super Bowl. We'll see in the next 2-3 years if he was right. If not, he'll be looking for a new job.

What do you mean? Cleveland wanted Myles Garrett and Trubisky. They knew SF was drafting defense and would want Garrett if Cleveland took Trubisky first. So Cleveland took Garrett and thought they could entice SF with enough picks to pass on Thomas and trade the #2 pick. They didn't count on the Bears stepping in with a trade offer. CLeveland offered SF more picks than the Bears but the Bears offer was more attracttove to SF because it enabled them to still get Thomas.

Well, if the Browns valued him so highly, it all makes perfect sense, then.

Strange move. I heard Matt Millen loved it, though.

That's a pretty fact specific scenario Corbi. Your source? I work with the Browns front office. Will speak with Sashi after the dust settles and get the scoop. Still makes no sense that Browns would pursue the 2nd pick unless they were certain Chicago was picking Mitch at 3. In fact, they would have likely targeted Chicago's pick at no.3 before speaking with the 49ers. We'll know for sure soon enough. At best, I can see the Browns taking a flyer on moving up that far, but only if the price was very attractive.

GOUNUII

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/...h-trubisky-sparked-right-action-by-bears/amp/

Perhaps that is a factor at play although Pace does not strike me as impulsive. This evaluation and trade was methodical and planned out. If you listen to Pace yesterday, you can certainly conclude he thought the franchise's main problem under his tenure has been the lack of good QB play. He knows without it you can't win a Super Bowl. We'll see in the next 2-3 years if he was right. If not, he'll be looking for a new job.
You don't really think that the s ill be challenging for a Super Bowl spot in two or three years, do you. Pace and Fox will be long gone before the Bears even smell the playoffs. There isn't a QB on their current roster that could beat Cutler out of a starting spot.

You don't really think that the s ill be challenging for a Super Bowl spot in two or three years, do you. Pace and Fox will be long gone before the Bears even smell the playoffs. There isn't a QB on their current roster that could beat Cutler out of a starting spot.

The Bears will be a playoff contender this year.

I saw several talent evaluators giving him a similar grade to what Wentz and Mariotta had when they came out. The Eagles and Titans traded more picks to come up and get those two guys. You can disagree with the evaluation but if Trubisky shows as much as Wentz and Marriotta have shown so far, then Pace did not overpay.
The problem is that the Bears have way too many holes to fill to become respectable and even having a franchise QB won't fix that.. About the only hope they have of making this work out is to get good enough performance out of the guy they just paid something like $15 million for this year so they can trade him and get some picks back

The Bears will be a playoff contender this year.
If the Bears are a playoff contender that likely means Glennon is playing well - so then what do you do next. doesn't moving up to draft trubisky really send the message that pace doesn't think glennon is the answer - which then leads to the question, why did you overpay him to begin with?

That's a reach Corbi ... citing an after the fact article that provides only a general sense that certain teams were looking to move up to get a QB. Which Pace was aware of and moved to eliminate any risk of losing Mitch. Which is exactly what Lynch wanted him to do. You were much more fact specific than anything mentioned in this article. On the other hand, you may have been right. It's possible. I will let you know what I learn.

Go Cats!!!

GOUNUII

What do you think his teammates are going to say about him while he is their teammate? Most of those same teammates that had good things to say don't have good things to say after they are no longer his teammate. The guy is a modern day Jeff George.

I'm not talking about anything that's been said in the media, I'm talking about things that have been said to me by his teammates behind closed doors.

If the Bears are a playoff contender that likely means Glennon is playing well - so then what do you do next. doesn't moving up to draft trubisky really send the message that pace doesn't think glennon is the answer - which then leads to the question, why did you overpay him to begin with?

Having two valuable assets at QB is a good problem to have in the NFL.

I'm not talking about anything that's been said in the media, I'm talking about things that have been said to me by his teammates behind closed doors.

Man, you are full of contacts. You have friends on NU's football team and now you also hang out behind closed doors with Bears players. What are you, a professional jock sniffer?

Come on, if they win more then 3 games, the season should be considered a success.

The Bears will have a top ten defense and a top 5 NFL rusher next year. If they can get average production from the QB and the passing game, they will contend for a playoff spot. With Cutler gone, I am confident they can do that.

Man, you are full of contacts. You have friends on NU's football team and now you also hang out behind closed doors with Bears players. What are you, a professional jock sniffer?

No, I am employed by an extremely popular media company that many of them are fans of. Not that that's any of your business. I'm just asking you to quit making assumptions when what you hear in the media is largely incorrect in many cases

That's a reach Corbi ... citing an after the fact article that provides only a general sense that certain teams were looking to move up to get a QB. Which Pace was aware of and moved to eliminate any risk of losing Mitch. Which is exactly what Lynch wanted him to do. You were much more fact specific than anything mentioned in this article. On the other hand, you may have been right. It's possible. I will let you know what I learn.

Go Cats!!!

GOUNUII

Did Lynch trick Pace into overpaying? Possibly. My point is that Pace did not give up more than other teams have paid to move up and get perceived franchise QBs like Luck, Griffin, Marriott, Wentz etc. Pace obviously feels is Trubisky if of that caliber. We'll see if he is right.

No question about the swearing part. Not so sure about which preposition is applicable though.

In any event there must have been some major perceived downside as to Watson though since the Bears had an either/or without having to throw away picks.

Does it go beyond this, from the Scout Browns' website?

Cons: Watson is a lean player and needs to add muscle mass to his frame to survive at the NFL level, especially if he is going to be used in an option/zone-read heavy offense. Watson needs to continue to develop as a pocket passer, there are several times where he looks at the first read and if it isn’t there he will takeoff and run. Watson also needs to improve his ball placement and touch; several times Watson will miss the easy throws underneath.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/browns/story/1707212-deshaun-watson-scouting-potential-qb-target

Last edited:
No, I am employed by an extremely popular media company that many of them are fans of. Not that that's any of your business. I'm just asking you to quit making assumptions when what you hear in the media is largely incorrect in many cases

I'll put more credence in what Urlacher, Briggs, Kruetz, Marshall, Bennett et al. Have said publicly once they left the Bears over any "inside info" you supposedly have.

The Bears will have a top ten defense and a top 5 NFL rusher next year. If they can get average production from the QB and the passing game, they will contend for a playoff spot. With Cutler gone, I am confident they can do that.
I'll just say that they have zero CB's and Safeties. no LT, no real TE, zero proven WR's and are weaker at QB then last season. Cutler was not the problem but Fox and his offensive staff might be and they are still around.

There is some talent in the front 7, but that secondary...Yikes.

I think they have a top 5 front seven in all of football next year if they stay healthy. That is a big if. They are not done with the secondary. I like several of their young returning players ( Hall, Leblanc, Bush and Callahan), I like their free agent additions and think they will focus on S,CB and TE the rest of the way in the draft. Lots of good safeties and TEs left on the board and think Pace will trade back tonight to get more picks and grab a few of those guys.

I'll just say that they have zero CB's and Safeties. no LT, no real TE, zero proven WR's and are weaker at QB then last season. Cutler was not the problem but Fox and his offensive staff might be and they are still around.

Cutler was 75% of the problem. No doubt about it in my mind. That will become obvious next year. The talent elsewhere is much better than what you are saying. CHarles Leno is one of the more underrated LTs in the league and their interio OL is top three in the league, if healthy. MIller and Sims are a good TE duo and I look for them to draft one of the several top TE prospects that are left in this draft.

I think they have a top 5 front seven in all of football next year if they stay healthy. That is a big if. They are not done with the secondary. I like several of their young returning players ( Hall, Leblanc, Bush and Callahan), I like their free agent additions and think they will focus on S,CB and TE the rest of the way in the draft. Lots of good safeties and TEs left on the board and think Pace will trade back tonight to get more picks and grab a few of those guys.
Well, it's a good draft to be in the market for TEs and DBs. Pretty lean on OL, where the Bears are OK (I am bit surprised at your opinion of Leno, but I don't know him well enough to judge. His reviews seem to be mediocre at best).

So Pace may still be in a position to address those needs given the depth in those positional areas.losing the picks rounds 3 and 4 does not help. He will almost certainly need to trade down in round 2.

Cutler was 75% of the problem. No doubt about it in my mind. That will become obvious next year. The talent elsewhere is much better than what you are saying. CHarles Leno is one of the more underrated LTs in the league and their interio OL is top three in the league, if healthy. MIller and Sims are a good TE duo and I look for them to draft one of the several top TE prospects that are left in this draft.
Guess your one of the Cutler haters but no way was he even 10% of their problems. Guess he didn't smile enough or kiss enough rear poinsettias for your liking. I'll give you that they have an average OL, if healthy but he TE's are below average and the DB's are horrible. Also they are now weaker at QB then last season.

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
I'll put more credence in what Urlacher, Briggs, Kruetz, Marshall, Bennett et al. Have said publicly once they left the Bears over any "inside info" you supposedly have.

Brandon Marshall? The super star talent that's been traded like 4 times? Or Earl Bennett who called Cutler the "best QB in the NFL in 2012"?

Yes, Cutler and Urlacher didn't like each other. Not everyone likes other people they work or play with.

What about current Bears' captain Kyle Long's comments after Cutler was cut? Here they are!

"Name another guy making 100 million who calls their rookie right guard every morning at 6AM to make sure that he's on time for work. Name another Quarterback that shows up at your house on an off day just to make sure you're behaving. Name a quarterback that will grab you by the collar and pull you out of a brawl in your first game in the NFL. Name a friend honest enough to tell you what you need to hear and not what you want to hear. I have that friend in Jay and I will never forget the things he did for me. I learned a lot from you dude. You have a pretty kick ass family too!!"

Oh here's one more quote. I think it's geared directly at Corbi:

"He's a great guy," Long told Jack M. Silverstein of Windy City Gridiron. "I think people are clueless about football and a lot of people want to act like they know what they’re talking about, and we let them do that. Jay just continues to be a great teammate. So I’ve really enjoyed playing with Jay. He’s a good friend of mine."

Guess your one of the Cutler haters but no way was he even 10% of their problems. Guess he didn't smile enough or kiss enough rear poinsettias for your liking. I'll give you that they have an average OL, if healthy but he TE's are below average and the DB's are horrible. Also they are now weaker at QB then last season.

No, he didn't win enough games, throw enough TD passes and he threw too many interceptions for my liking. In a league starved for QBs with several teams having glaring holes at their starting QB position, the stampede knocking down Cutler's door right now makes it obvious that NFL evaluators agree with your assessment of his play over mine. Or not!

Oh here's one more quote. I think it's geared directly at Corbi:

"He's a great guy," Long told Jack M. Silverstein of Windy City Gridiron. "I think people are clueless about football and a lot of people want to act like they know what they’re talking about, and we let them do that. Jay just continues to be a great teammate. So I’ve really enjoyed playing with Jay. He’s a good friend of mine."

Good for you. What do you think Kyle Long is going to say? Good guy, glad I played with him blah, blah.... standard nice guy talk but don't let the door hit you in the ass. Why don't you look up all the other players who have diplomatically said the guy sucks? In addition, how many of the QB starved teams in the league are beating down Cutler's door right now?

That would be me. I think he should have been gone a few years back. Million dollar arm, 10 cent brain. Jay had more critical unnecessary turnovers that anyone I can remember. Maddening frustrating and his leadership deficiencies were obvious to people on the outside without being in the inner circle. Have you noticed all the teams lining up to sign him?

Brandon Marshall? The super star talent that's been traded like 4 times? Or Earl Bennett who called Cutler the "best QB in the NFL in 2012"?

Yes, Cutler and Urlacher didn't like each other. Not everyone likes other people they work or play with.

What about current Bears' captain Kyle Long's comments after Cutler was cut? Here they are!

"Name another guy making 100 million who calls their rookie right guard every morning at 6AM to make sure that he's on time for work. Name another Quarterback that shows up at your house on an off day just to make sure you're behaving. Name a quarterback that will grab you by the collar and pull you out of a brawl in your first game in the NFL. Name a friend honest enough to tell you what you need to hear and not what you want to hear. I have that friend in Jay and I will never forget the things he did for me. I learned a lot from you dude. You have a pretty kick ass family too!!"

Earl Bennett? He hasn't played for the Bears for 7-8 years. How about Martellus Bennet? Yes I know he is also a malcontent like Marshall. The reality is that all these guys are saying the same thing and when viewed in the aggregate, it's unlikely they are motivated by personal feelings. Urlacher also said nice things about Cutler when they were teammates. The truth comes out afterward.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT