ADVERTISEMENT

Cut 5 years off my life... but got the win!

freewillie07

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2017
Broke through and got the first conference win. Big contributions from a lot of places. Taylor and Turner made big shots. The game changed when Gaines hit a few outside shots. Law and Pardon combined on the glass to make the game-winner possible.

A lot to build on from this.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
Not surprised at Illinois' ability to ugly it up, but we can't play like this next time out.

This is a W as surely as the games vs IU & Michigan were losses, though.

I'll get trashed for this... and I deserve it but I feel like we stole a win at home against the worst team in a really good conference we happen to be in.. and we have nothing to build off of other than the coaching needs to be better. Law and Pardon deserve better.

I'll get trashed for this... and I deserve it but I feel like we stole a win at home against the worst team in a really good conference we happen to be in.. and we have nothing to build off of other than the coaching needs to be better. Law and Pardon deserve better.

It was not pretty, and I was as agitated as anyone out there watching us play. But there are a bunch of positives from this game:

- Taylor hitting threes, 4-8
- Turner game-winning three
- Greer making some confident plays
- Toughed out a win when Law and Pardon weren't on fire

As long as we keep improving that's all we can ask for.

It was not pretty, and I was as agitated as anyone out there watching us play. But there are a bunch of positives from this game:

- Taylor hitting threes, 4-8
- Turner game-winning three
- Greer making some confident plays
- Toughed out a win when Law and Pardon weren't on fire

As long as we keep improving that's all we can ask for.

OK. I'll be that guy.

Is that improving? or did we just squeak out a win against a team we should have beat by at least 10 at home with the talent we have? I don't expect this squad to make a deep conference run or even make the dance. But even without a true PG I was expecting more.

OK. I'll be that guy.

Is that improving? or did we just squeak out a win against a team we should have beat by at least 10 at home with the talent we have? I don't expect this squad to make a deep conference run or even make the dance. But even without a true PG I was expecting more.
It was ugly. Law of all people turned it over at least 6 times. We had more foul trouble. We figured out a way to finish on top, and we needed that. If you think we don't look good after this game, imagine how you'd feel sitting at 0-4 with a home loss to Illinois.

Reactions: DaCat
OK. I'll be that guy.

I'm expecting NIT. I think this team is better than last season's team and should be good enough to make the NIT. Maybe more if they pull off a few upsets, but what I expect and predict is the NIT.

OK. I'll be that guy.

lol. “Should have beat by at least 10.” Some people can never be happy.

Don't know about that. They turn a lot of halftime leads into close losses; it is what they do (8 of their eleven losses followed this exact script).

So I fully expected this to be close; this was Illinois' tournament game. They had nothing to lose, played well, and were done in not by talent or effort, but by awful coaching.

And Rutgers, the only team to lose a home gsme to Illinois under Brad Underwood, is still a far worse team, imo.

Don't know about that. They turn a lot of halftime leads into close losses; it is what they do (8 of their eleven losses followed this exact script).

So I fully expected this to be close; this was Illinois' tournament game. They had nothing to lose, played well, and were done in not by talent or effort, but by awful coaching.

And Rutgers, the only team to lose a home gsme to Illinois under Brad Underwood, is still a far worse team, imo.
You were right about this being a close game, your prediction was almost spot on.

But as much as you hate UoI and think they suck, NU could and probably should have lost this game playing at home in a sold out WRA. Doesn't this mean that there isn't much if any difference between these two teams?

You were right about this being a close game, your prediction was almost spot on.

But as much as you hate UoI and think they suck, NU could and probably should have lost this game playing at home in a sold out WRA. Doesn't this mean that there isn't much if any difference between these two teams?
Don't know from this game. The rest of the season will give me the answer to that.

It's possible there isn't much difference, but a neutral observer, Jon Crispin, thinks there is. In any event don't dismiss the degree to which a team like the Illini can ugly up a game. For one thing, we've done it ourselves. I remember a putrid game against Purdue. Like 40-38 putrid.

We lost by 2 to Indiana and Michigan also. Each game is different.

We lost by 2 to Indiana and Michigan also. Each game is different.
I’m still thinking 17 or 18 wins in the regular season and judging by what I saw today you will see a lot more of Greer as the year goes on. He is important because he takes away the use of Law and Turner getting it over the time line. If guys like Law and Turner have to bring it up all the time their gassed by the time they get to shooting the ball.

I agree what people are saying about Greer. He took a really nice step today. For me, that was a highlight.

He played well. He wasnt great. Still a few mistakes. But if he continues to be a strong guy if the bench, it would help.

Reactions: ricko654321
We didn’t play well today and won’t finish strong without quite a bit of improvement. The O gets stagnant a lot. The goods news is this win my jump start the confidence of players like Gaines, Turner, and Greer.

If you've watched to this point and still had "very" high expectations, the team performance isn't the only problem with your equation.

Actually I did considering the close games with mich/indiana... until the mich. st. matchup

Broke through and got the first conference win. Big contributions from a lot of places. Taylor and Turner made big shots. The game changed when Gaines hit a few outside shots. Law and Pardon combined on the glass to make the game-winner possible.

A lot to build on from this.
Between FB and BB, you have already given up something like 150 years....

Reactions: freewillie07
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT