ADVERTISEMENT

Dari & Mel Show

Katatonic

Oct 23, 2004
This morning Dari asked Mel if the 'Cats could win the B1G and he basically poo-poo'd it saying that while dOSU and MSU haven't been playing up to their usual level, will straighten themselves out.

Basically sees 'Cats losing about 2 games - which I don't find unreasonable, but Kiper's rationale about dOSU and MSU is that until they lose, they are the better teams (also wasn't keen on the 'Cats depth).

Don't have so much of an issue w/ dOSU as they have gobs of talent; the O-line just needs to get back to last year's level of play and Jones has hit a rough patch (part of which is due to the playcalling w/ a new OC and losing their best receiver to the draft).

Wouldn't pick the 'Cats as the favorite in that match-up but the 'Cats could certainly pull the upset.

But as of now, I would pick the 'Cats as being the better team than MSU.

MSU's weakness coming into the season was a rebuilt secondary and that's probably the weakness that is hardest for a team to overcome.

MSU's D unlike prior years can be scored upon (and even run upon as can no longer place the corners on an island), so it would be up to Cook and the rest of MSU's O to outscore opponents.

But that is much more difficult to do w/ a hobbled O-line as is the case for Sparty.

Not that it really matters - but a bit surprised that Mr. NFL draft doesn't take those things into account and is basing so much on last season.

Basically sees 'Cats losing about 2 games - which I don't find unreasonable, but Kiper's rationale about dOSU and MSU is that until they lose, they are the better teams (also wasn't keen on the 'Cats depth).

I also see a 6-2 Big 10 season, which I think is a high water mark in the last 10 years. Kiper hasn't studied NU much, because one strength of this team is depth. They played 67 guys in the win @Duke, and 61 saw the field last Saturday. OK, maybe the fall off at QB would be steep, and losing both Queiro and Godwin in a single game with McGee already hurt was an issue, but I'd say NU is about as deep as any Big 10 team save OSU this season.

It is still early, but at some point MSU and OSU need to starting living up to their billing as elite teams. I don't doubt the athleticism, coaching, or talent on either team, but neither has put together a complete performance yet. Neither team has a daunting schedule, especially OSU, which makes the 11/21 matchup between OSU and MSU so anticipated. MSU must first face Michiganz in 2 weeks, so that game should provide another reveal for the Spartans.

To their credit, both teams have passed every test they have faced. OSU was not pretty in beating IU, but they made plays to win. Given OSU's struggles at QB, I give an edge to Sparty with Connor Cook and depth at RB. If Ezekiel Elliott gets hurt or worn down, OSU might be in trouble.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT