ADVERTISEMENT

Delusional observation by Jeff Brohm at his presser today...

mikewebb68

Oct 24, 2009
Imo.

"To be honest with you, still feel the flag at that point of the game -- according to the ref, he told me he thought our player body slammed him. I did not see a body slam. If that’s what he’s calling it, I don’t agree with that.

Did we go a little beyond the whistle? We probably did. We are trying to strip the ball at that point in the game. I think Lorenzo tried to strip, kind of turned and flung the guy around, trying to get the ball, which the ball did come out. I can see why it was called. Doesn’t mean I agree with it."

I'd like to see what Coach Brohm defines as an actual body slam...Something that cripples the player in question? Jeez.

When asked about the call immediately after the game he said he did not see it. That means all he has to go by now are the after the game videos. I had no problem with his questioning the call when he had not seen it, but to do so now in the face of irrefutable evidence which on video clearly shows the "body slamming" is bizarre.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
I think it was against penn state (maybe duke, one of those other blue and white teams) where Dean Lowry wrestled the quarterback for 3-4 seconds for a tackle in the backfield. When no whistle was called and the QB refused to go down, he took him off his feet and body slammed him. Personal foul. What would have been a 15 yard sack on 3rd down turned in to a first down and 15 yard game. NU still won but it was a major call in the game. I took from that call that a player cannot lift another player off his feet and lay him on the ground under any circumstances, much less 2 seconds after the play is blown dead and the RB is being driven backwards.

Imo.

"To be honest with you, still feel the flag at that point of the game -- according to the ref, he told me he thought our player body slammed him. I did not see a body slam. If that’s what he’s calling it, I don’t agree with that.

Did we go a little beyond the whistle? We probably did. We are trying to strip the ball at that point in the game. I think Lorenzo tried to strip, kind of turned and flung the guy around, trying to get the ball, which the ball did come out. I can see why it was called. Doesn’t mean I agree with it."

I'd like to see what Coach Brohm defines as an actual body slam...Something that cripples the player in question? Jeez.
in this age, you cant do that. Maybe when he played. But they kick players out and flag extended plays all the time now.

Looks like his team will continue to have discipline problems.
How is he going to enforce discipline on his team when he reacts like this? He is telling his players that after reviewing the video, he believes that play was okay.

How is he going to enforce discipline on his team when he reacts like this? He is telling his players that after reviewing the video, he believes that play was okay.
You hope he’s just “backing his guy”, but this reads like he actually believes his BS.

You hope he’s just “backing his guy”, but this reads like he actually believes his BS.
Could be that. Everyone is blaming that kid for the loss and while the play sealed the deal, it is certainly far from certain that they could have driven length of the field for a TD in under 2 minutes with no time outs.

Reactions: LACatFan and DaCat
I go the other way here. He is showing support for a player that probably feels like he lost the game for his team and is taking harsh criticism from the outside world.

I go the other way here. He is showing support for a player that probably feels like he lost the game for his team and is taking harsh criticism from the outside world.
There are a lot of "heat of the moment" statements that he could make to defend his player. "We want aggressive play..." "He didn't hear the whistle..." But to say that he believes that the play is within the rules? He is basically saying that he would consider it okay if one of his players did it again. This is after several days of being able to think about what to say.

No. Not a good take at all.

Reactions: DaCat
There are a lot of "heat of the moment" statements that he could make to defend his player. "We want aggressive play..." "He didn't hear the whistle..." But to say that he believes that the play is within the rules? He is basically saying that he would consider it okay if one of his players did it again. This is after several days of being able to think about what to say.

No. Not a good take at all.
And, that he's ok if another team did that to one of his players.

Ridiculous....I just love that ESPN played that piece on Brohm during the game where he ranted to his team: "Its not about the scoreboard its how we play. We are going to play harder and smarter than anyone we face!!"....DOH!
Yeah, with regard to that piece (or series) about Purdue's training camp leading up to the game . . . I know Brohm got a lot of press last year for the solid season they had, but from what I saw on BTN, he kinda came off as a bit of a meathead, IMO.

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT