ADVERTISEMENT

Dienhart on NU

As excited as I am about the rest of the team, the obvious uncertainty surrounding the OL is disconcerting and frustrating. How long does this have to go on before someone acknowledges and addresses the problem? I know some think we have not recruited well on the OL. That may be part of the problem but if that was the extent of the problem you would think over the years the odds were high enough that we would have lucked into a few gems accidentally. I can't think of one OL over the last 5-6 years that I would say overachieved or surprised on the upside in his play during his career at NU. In my mind the verdict is in and it is clear we have a player development issue with that position group. It's time this issue is addressed and I hope the addition of a 10th assistant coach next season will be the catalyst for FItz to do what has been obvious to many for several years. I would love nothing more to see Brett Ingalls brought back on board as OL coach and running game coordinator. I hope this is the last offseason that we have to hear about the uncertainty surrounding the OL.

Reactions: NUCats and mickbula
I remember when NU fans questioned Bret Ingalls coaching credentials because he didn't play OL in college and had coached mainly at mid-major schools like SDSU, EMU, Northern Iowa, Miami (O), Idaho, and Indiana State.

I hope this year's OL will be the equivalent to 2016's ACarr. I do agree with Corbi296; however, that we do need to bring in an expert stud to clear up the haze that seems to linger from the past several seasons of underachieving OL play. Does anyone remember Fitz's first couple years when we had very poor defenses? Then, he fired the DC and brought in Hank? Then, we started kicking some butt on defense? Let's get the stud to get it done on the OL!

Reactions: scru
I think it's good news that Rashawn Slater, Jared Thomas and Gunnar Vogel are all in consideration as starters. It means that they've out-performed starters from last year. Will they need to mature? Yes. But if they're better than last year's starters (despite those guys gaining strength in the off-season), I excited to see the new and improved OL.

No offense to Mr. Dienhart, but he lost some credibility with his assessment this spring: he included Andrew Scanlan as a returning receiver that will help Thorson this fall...

http://btn.com/2017/04/01/dienhart-four-observations-from-northwestern-spring-practice/

Yes, the man can make a mistake but doublecheck and he was supposedly THERE in Evanston this spring.

Scanlan did jump from one career reception to 29... his jump was just overshadowed by Carr in a big way. Of course, the whole "no eligibility left" thing really got him for 2017.

Reactions: JournCat
I think it's good news that Rashawn Slater, Jared Thomas and Gunnar Vogel are all in consideration as starters. It means that they've out-performed starters from last year. Will they need to mature? Yes. But if they're better than last year's starters (despite those guys gaining strength in the off-season), I excited to see the new and improved OL.
It means we have a lot of deadwood on scholarship.

I don't think I'd say CT lacks mobility, at all. Pocket presence maybe, but not mobility.

Pretty bad article IWBCH

Sounds like Dienhart likes big guys. Walsh, Skowronek, Lancaster and Fisher. Nothing wrong with that. I haven't compared NU's OL's size vs other teams but I suspect we are small which probably stands out to the BTN tour analysts. A smaller, athletic and experienced OL can work well in a spread.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT