ADVERTISEMENT

Does Fitz have the guts to fire McCall?

DaCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I'm a huge supporter of Fitz and love what he's done at NU. But here is a true test of a great leader - if he believes that McCall isn't getting the job done, does he have the guts to fire him mid-season? Though he ain't a great coach in my book, even the Fleckster recognized a problem with his DC last season, and replaced him during the season which resulted in immediate improvement. Things just ain't working with McCall - what will Fitz do about it?

I'm a huge supporter of Fitz and love what he's done at NU. But here is a true test of a great leader - if he believes that McCall isn't getting the job done, does he have the guts to fire him mid-season? Though he ain't a great coach in my book, even the Fleckster recognized a problem with his DC last season, and replaced him during the season which resulted in immediate improvement. Things just ain't working with McCall - what will Fitz do about it?

Not a chance. Fitz doesn't have it in him.

No chance. It would require JP intervention and that won’t happen. They’re impotent.

No. We just need to win the one on one’s

Nothing.

Sometimes a change is needed just for the sake of a change. The offense is stale and predictable. I don't think our players are as bad as they looked. They are being set up for failure.
This comment times infinity. The offense needs some new blood at the helm. It really does t matter who. They can’t be worse than what we got

Zero chance he would let him go this year due to on field results. Either mid season or after. He will get a pass because Hunter is new and we had to replace most of our offensive front line (including SB). Now if our O does poorly next year with a veteran Hunter, veteran Bowser/DA3 and the new highly recruited WRs then perhaps a change would be made.

Zero chance he would let him go this year due to on field results. Either mid season or after. He will get a pass because Hunter is new and we had to replace most of our offensive front line (including SB). Now if our O does poorly next year with a veteran Hunter, veteran Bowser/DA3 and the new highly recruited WRs then perhaps a change would be made.
Yeah, and I would just add that Fitz is not going to panic over a rebuilding year right after the 4 year run that we just had.

Plus we're 1-2 this year, we started 1-3 last year. Yes I know we looked a lot better last year through 4 games and CT was getting stronger, but I just don't see how or why Fitz would make any sort of changes this year given we already have a new OL coach and its Hunter's first year as starter.

I agree completely that next year will be the real test. There has to be improvement over this year.

Yeah, and I would just add that Fitz is not going to panic over a rebuilding year right after the 4 year run that we just had.

Plus we're 1-2 this year, we started 1-3 last year. Yes I know we looked a lot better last year through 4 games and CT was getting stronger, but I just don't see how or why Fitz would make any sort of changes this year given we already have a new OL coach and its Hunter's first year as starter.

I agree completely that next year will be the real test. There has to be improvement over this year.
Great... so we get to watch this boring offense for another year and a half.

This sounds like Illini fans with Lovie.

What? No this sounds like a rational person who looks at the past 4 years of results and puts greater weight on that larger sample size than he does on the last three games. Completely rational. Illinois fans making excuses for Lovie can make no such argument.

Reactions: mikewebb68
What? No this sounds like a rational person who looks at the past 4 years of results and puts greater weight on that larger sample size than he does on the last three games. Completely rational. Illinois fans making excuses for Lovie can make no such argument.
+1,000,000. And, judging from the Illini message boards virtually no one is making excuses for Lovie. They would trade our coaching staff for theirs in a heartbeat...

Reactions: Rebel_
If you want entertaining offense, you should watch Mike Leach and Wazzu play.

Over the past four years, Leach is 26-10 in Pac-12 play with 1 division title. Fitz is 26-9 in B1G play with 1 division title. (Leach did not reach the title game thanks to tiebreakers.) So that looks like about as well as you can do while entirely neglecting one side of the ball.

Over the past four years, Leach is 26-10 in Pac-12 play with 1 division title. Fitz is 26-9 in B1G play with 1 division title. (Leach did not reach the title game thanks to tiebreakers.) So that looks like about as well as you can do while entirely neglecting one side of the ball.

Think how much better that record would've been if we actually had a competent offense to go with our outstanding defense? For starters, we would've at least beat Michigan last year.

Reactions: IGNORE
Think how much better that record would've been if we actually had a competent offense to go with our outstanding defense? We would've at least beat Michigan last year.

And the sad part is the word "competent" is exactly correct. We don't need a great offense. An average one would do just fine, but we haven't even had one of those for 7 years.

stop

Honestly Corb, this isn’t a 3 game uprising.

Reactions: NUCat320 and IGNORE
Think how much better that record would've been if we actually had a competent offense to go with our outstanding defense? For starters, we would've at least beat Michigan last year.
This stuff is a bit crazy guys. McCall made a lot of good moves last year (and I'm no apologist of his, I've posted endlessly in years past about my gripes with the offense).

The play calling in a large number of games in 2018 was absolutely solid; we aired it out when CT was on his game, we shifted to having Bowser carry the work load when CT was struggling. The 2nd half adjustments against Ohio State and Utah were good and got the offense moving the ball down the field well.

Our offense went through 2 or 3 transformations last year (losing Larkin as CT recovered, CT going through ups and downs at times, Bowser's emergence), and we won 8 Big Ten games and a bowl game. There are not many offensive coordinators who could manage that as well as McCall did.

That doesn't mean that McCall gets a pass for this year, but it does mean that I'm going to give him time to see what the offense can do this year and early next season. What we're seeing right now is the baseline and there has to be improvement. But we just won 36 games over 4 years including 3 straight bowls and a division title. There's no need for rash moves when we already have a new OL coach and a new QB.

This stuff is a bit crazy guys. McCall made a lot of good moves last year (and I'm no apologist of his, I've posted endlessly in years past about my gripes with the offense).

The play calling in a large number of games in 2018 was absolutely solid; we aired it out when CT was on his game, we shifted to having Bowser carry the work load when CT was struggling. The 2nd half adjustments against Ohio State and Utah were good and got the offense moving the ball down the field well.

Our offense went through 2 or 3 transformations last year (losing Larkin as CT recovered, CT going through ups and downs at times, Bowser's emergence), and we won 8 Big Ten games and a bowl game. There are not many offensive coordinators who could manage that as well as McCall did.

That doesn't mean that McCall gets a pass for this year, but it does mean that I'm going to give him time to see what the offense can do this year and early next season. What we're seeing right now is the baseline and there has to be improvement. But we just won 36 games over 4 years including 3 straight bowls and a division title. There's no need for rash moves when we already have a new OL coach and a new QB.
He’s been here 11 years! I thought last year was his best year out of the last 5. He figured it out. Having said that, most years we way underperform what I think we can do. These critics didn’t just pop up the last 3 games. My beef has been the same over the last 5 years, in most games I can call what play we are running based on down/distance, score, formation and field position. The guy is as predictable as the sun coming up. Of course, every season he throws out 1-2 unicorn games where you say “where was that all year”. I think we will see one of those games in the next 4. Still doesn’t change my overall feelings that we need to be better.

Reactions: drewjin and IGNORE
I'm not sure why NU seems to start off slow and then turn it around the last few years but we have. Doubt we will beat Wisconsin next week but stranger things have happened in college football. The thing of it is, inspite of an ugly start, I almost expect NU to turn this around and produce a winning season and probably a bowl win.
The weak starts are problematic for building fan enthusiasm which is one of Fitz's goals he has got to figure that out but I bet he thinks McCall will right the ship as usual.
If things don't turn around we might see a change at the end of the season if some credible replacement becomes available. Not sure who that would be.

Reactions: drewjin

Mike Leach is a good coach. He skins the cat differently than Fitz does and in a way that some people think makes for more "entertaining' football. That's a matter of opinion. I can assure you of one thing, the folks on the Wazzu board are just as frustrated and pissed about yesterday's loss than folks on this board even though they watched a more "entertaining" loss.

On a side note, what was the comment about reaching the conference title game due to " tie breakers" all about? I didn't get it.

Except I don't give a crap about Wazzu. I am an NU fan for life. I wish they were more enjoyable to watch. But that's life.

Yep. What I find entertaining is winning. In the 37 years since I have followed NU, these last four years under Fitz have been the most entertaining stretch of watching football that I have experienced.

Last edited:
On a side note, what was the comment about reaching the conference title game due to " tie breakers" all about? I didn't get it.

Washington State tied for their division title last year but lost the tiebreaker to Washington, so they did not play in the Pac-12 title game.

Reactions: corbi296
Then how in the hell did we win so much the previous four years?

Do you really have to ask a question with such an obvious answer?

B9319193939Z.1_20151009004027_000_G29C67L5S.1-0.jpg

Reactions: NUCat320 and IGNORE
He’s been here 11 years! I thought last year was his best year out of the last 5. He figured it out. Having said that, most years we way underperform what I think we can do. These critics didn’t just pop up the last 3 games. My beef has been the same over the last 5 years, in most games I can call what play we are running based on down/distance, score, formation and field position. The guy is as predictable as the sun coming up. Of course, every season he throws out 1-2 unicorn games where you say “where was that all year”. I think we will see one of those games in the next 4. Still doesn’t change my overall feelings that we need to be better.

Our last year was his best year? Then you surely have too low a bar. Where did we finish offensively last season? With a 4 year starter and NFL draft pick at the helm no less. How many years of underperformance are you guys going to stomach? Is 13 the magic number? 13 for Cushing and 13 for Carmody. Why do we have to go through two more years of this crap? Hunter will be out of eligibility by then.

Reactions: TheC and IGNORE
Then how in the hell did we win so much the previous four years?

Defense

Definitely not due to one of the worst Os in college football

Which is part of the anger. Such an amazing D with a decent O would have meant national relevance. Rose Bowl. Maybe better.

Now we add a Ferrari to the O and the driver still can’t find the accelerator. We are wasting one of the best O players in NU modern history as the D begins to fade.

You can be happy w what you have. That’s a fair approach. I can expect, want more. That’s a fair approach too.

Reactions: EvanstonCat

i think there is a huge gap in the offensive skill positions still. watching other games there are WR that get separation and open. i don't think that happens alot for NU and I don't think its scheme.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT