ADVERTISEMENT

Doug Collins hired as Bulls "senior advisor"

Sec.112

Jun 17, 2001
He's going to be a busy man if he keeps his TV schedule.

But it's great to have someone strongly associated with the NU program who is relatively active in an NBA front office.

He's going to be a busy man if he keeps his TV schedule.

But it's great to have someone strongly associated with the NU program who is relatively active in an NBA front office.
And the Bulls definitely need the advice.

As long as it doesn't involve Chris.

I've heard Chris say in previous interviews that he sees himself as a college guy, though a lot of college guys see themselves differently when they're presented with NBA contracts. The Bulls organization has enough nepotism and favoritism that you could see Doug trying to orchestrate Chris' hiring. But you'd also hope they'd avoid hiring another college guy after they inevitably fire Hoiberg.

The Bulls organization has enough nepotism and favoritism that you could see Doug trying to orchestrate Chris' hiring.
Face it, NU is a better job than the Bulls.

Collins can coach as long as he feels like it at NU. With the Bulls he'd always be one bad season from getting axed.

At NU he's God, perhaps the new face of the University as Fitz fades to mediocrity. With the Bulls he'd be Doug's son.

I think saying the Bulls hire college guys might be too broad a term. I think they only hire Iowa State guys.

Hopefully one of these days, they can develop a wider focus than the city limits of Ames.

Collins can coach as long as he feels like it at NU. With the Bulls he'd always be one bad season from getting axed.

Ha. I wish the Bulls would fire a coach after two bad seasons. Maybe three.

At NU he's God, perhaps the new face of the University as Fitz fades to mediocrity. With the Bulls he'd be Doug's son.

As long as Collins keeps getting institutional support, and he doesn't run into too stringent of barriers for recruits, he will be at NU for a while. He's got everything going here and I don't think he'd be the first K successor.

As a bonus, if the Bulls continue to be a dumpster fire, NU could really become the best basketball ticket in the area.

I think saying the Bulls hire college guys might be too broad a term. I think they only hire Iowa State guys.

Hopefully one of these days, they can develop a wider focus than the city limits of Ames.

wish I could say you're full of it

Ouch on Fitz. Not sure I'm even close to ready to be that negative. Lots of positive things there. Don't let our excessive expectations for this season disrupt the reality of a program that is consistently much better than it has been in its history. Recruiting will continue to improve with the unveiling of Taj maFitz.

Ouch on Fitz. Not sure I'm even close to ready to be that negative. Lots of positive things there. Don't let our excessive expectations for this season disrupt the reality of a program that is consistently much better than it has been in its history. Recruiting will continue to improve with the unveiling of Taj maFitz.
When Fitz talks about winning championships, we all kind of say "yeah, right". When Collins says it, I for one believe him. Collins has recruited well even without Taj Chris. Fitz has had 5, 5, 10 and 7 wins the last 4 seasons which is average at best among Big 10 teams. Not really interested in history, that got erased when Barnett and Walker showed it was possible to win Championship(s) at NU. This was supposed to be the best team in the 12 seasons under Pat, and the Cats will need to really up their game to make it so. Pat's a great representative of the school but CCC had proven to be the more effective head coach.

Reactions: catfans5

This was a fantastic spin zone

Where was I wrong?
Spin is not being wrong. Spin is putting the most positive (or negative) face on certain facts while ignoring others. When you are talking about how good a job is and you completely ignore monetary compensation, that is textbook spin.

Spin is not being wrong. Spin is putting the most positive (or negative) face on certain facts while ignoring others. When you are talking about how good a job is and you completely ignore monetary compensation, that is textbook spin.
Would there be a [significant] difference in monetary compensation between what he earns now at NU and a Bulls job? Serious question.

Would there be a [significant] difference in monetary compensation between what he earns now at NU and a Bulls job? Serious question.
While there may be more money per year, (even that not guaranteed since he would be a first year coach in pros) longevity has been pretty short. Some college BB coaches are suited to pro level but most are not.

From Adrian Wojnarowski June 1, 2015.

Fred Hoiberg has signed a five-year contract worth nearly $25 million to coach the Chicago Bulls, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

I can't find published data on the current numbers, but I don't think Coach Collins is in that ballpark just yet.

From Adrian Wojnarowski June 1, 2015.

Fred Hoiberg has signed a five-year contract worth nearly $25 million to coach the Chicago Bulls, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

I can't find published data on the current numbers, but I don't think Coach Collins is in that ballpark just yet.

I'd guess somewhere around $1.5MM a pop with absolutely no basis behind that figure

The hiring of Doug Collins was done by John Paxson because he is friends with Doug and respects his basketball knowledge. My guess is that Paxson wants to have Doug with him to go to Jerry Reinsdorf at the end of the season when the Bulls win 15-20 games and lose 62-67 games and say it is Doug and my opinion to fire Gar Forman as some posters above have mentioned. Gar Forman has buddied up with Michael Reinsdorf and Paxson must feel that he needs a second voice or opinion when he decides to fire Forman at the end of the season to sway the Reinsdorf family who do not like to fire anyone. He can say that it was Forman's draft choices and not him that made the decisions to not draft Draymond Green and draft Marcus Teague. Also, it creates some buffer for Paxson to keep his job. The benefits to Chris are that his dad is around more and it obviously shows his family is very connected in basketball circles and with the NBA which might help recruiting.

On another note, how about the 5th year grad transfer talk for the 13th scholarship? Where has it gone? Any more shots in the dark? Bueller?

Reactions: PHWildcat
Teddy Greenstein reported in April, 2017 that Chris Collins' salary is north of $3 million a year and definitely more than Brad Underwood is getting at UofI. So google Underwood's salary and go north of that.

Reactions: Gladeskat
The hiring of Doug Collins was done by John Paxson because he is friends with Doug and respects his basketball knowledge. My guess is that Paxson wants to have Doug with him to go to Jerry Reinsdorf at the end of the season when the Bulls win 15-20 games and lose 62-67 games and say it is Doug and my opinion to fire Gar Forman as some posters above have mentioned. Gar Forman has buddied up with Michael Reinsdorf and Paxson must feel that he needs a second voice or opinion when he decides to fire Forman at the end of the season to sway the Reinsdorf family who do not like to fire anyone. He can say that it was Forman's draft choices and not him that made the decisions to not draft Draymond Green and draft Marcus Teague. Also, it creates some buffer for Paxson to keep his job. The benefits to Chris are that his dad is around more and it obviously shows his family is very connected in basketball circles and with the NBA which might help recruiting.

On another note, how about the 5th year grad transfer talk for the 13th scholarship? Where has it gone? Any more shots in the dark? Bueller?

Doug Collins said at his press conference that he took the position in part because he did not want to miss anymore NU games. My fear of NU losing Collins in the stands were unwarranted.

Here's a shot in the dark: Heard last fall that Tino might get the last ride for this year. Still waiting to see if anything ever comes of that. Not sure how the uptick in recruiting impacts his standing.

While there may be more money per year, (even that not guaranteed since he would be a first year coach in pros) longevity has been pretty short. Some college BB coaches are suited to pro level but most are not.
Also probably consider whether you prefer spending time away from home recruiting HS kids vs playing 41 NBA road games - both seem like a grind to me. With young kids life as an NBA coach doesn't sound appealing, but Chris would know first hand as he grew up with it.

Yes, Paxson did play for Doug Collins in the 1980s and they are good buddies and Doug Collins' name has popped up in stories whenever there is an opening for the Bulls except for the last time when Gar Forman hired his buddy from Iowa State in Freddy "The Mayor" Hoiberg who has turned out to be such a great success. Insert sarcastic laugh here. Paxson was cut by the Spurs in the mid-1980s and was a free agent when they needed a dead eye three-point shooter when MJ was getting triple teamed. GM Jerry Krause signed Paxson, probably with some encouragement from the Bulls' HC Doug Collins. Paxson filled that role and would have been out of the NBA but for MJ. Later on, Craig Hodges filled that role then BJ Armstrong and then GS HC Steve Kerr filled that role for the Bulls when MJ was dominating the NBA.

Pax would have played for Doug in the mid/late 80's for the bulls

Yep. Remember that Pax was drafted by San Antonio...I want to say Corzine was there as well. Just couldn't remember if he came to the Bulls early enough to play under Collins. I remember Quintin Dailey (San Quentin Dailey) at point guard. (Forgive the misspellings)

Absolutely true. Take the Bulls job and get fired in 3 years. Keep the NU job and retire in 30.

Not a tough choice.

Absolutely true. Take the Bulls job and get fired in 3 years. Keep the NU job and retire in 30.

Not a tough choice.

Coaches do not think this way. If Collins ever has to choose between NU and an NBA job, he won't make that decision based on fear of getting fired.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
Coaches do not think this way. If Collins ever has to choose between NU and an NBA job, he won't make that decision based on fear of getting fired.
As he saw with his Dad, getting fired in the NBA isn't IF it's WHEN.......

As he saw with his Dad, getting fired in the NBA isn't IF it's WHEN.......
As he also saw with his dad, getting fired doesn't mean your career is over, it just means your a candidate for the next opening and you may have to move to another major US city.

It seems that Chris Collins has it all at this point in his life. Who knows what his long term dreams or goals are though. He might want to be the next Brad Stevens, who seems to be thriving in the NBA after a great college run at Butler. Or maybe build a college dynasty like Coach K, but at NU. Hoping for the latter, but who knows...

I can see Collins staying at NU until all his kids are well into college, at a minimum.

His Dad bounced around different NBA towns so I can see how that would be a turn off. I write this a lot about recruits, but I believe. Evanston and the north shore, on Lake Michigan just north of Chicago is a pretty nice place to spend your time. Chasing Big Ten and NCAA championships and getting paid millions for it is not a bad life. In time, with some hardware, Collins will start getting the occasional 5* and he'll have former players as assistant coaches who are able to recruit 5*'s. After building it, it'll be tough to walk away form for what, an extra two million a year? To work for guys like Gar Pax?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT